HSK
Level 2: Rookie

SLOW ADSL2+ SPEEDS - 180KB/s - 298KB/s

Answered

Hi all,

I've recently connected to Telstra Broadband Bundle at a new apartment in Footscray.

Since been online, my connection has never gone above 300kb/s, which is very very slow for a adsl2+ connection, and this is using the adsl2+ filter that is provided with Telstra's Technicolor TG797n v3.

I then proceeded to isolate the line by removing the filter which made the speed even worst. I will not be having a phone connected to the line, and didn't think i'd need the filter, however the filter is helping the improvement of the speed. 

This is the details of the distance from the exchange from using adsl2exchanges website. 

You are 2876 m from FSRY as the crow flies.

Estimated cable length of 3595 m.
Estimated speed of 3000

Please see the screenshots I took. With and without the filter.

This Telstra speedtest is with the filter.

telstra-speedtest.jpg

Speedtest-No-Filter.jpgSpeedtest-Yes-Filter.jpgRouter-No-Filter.jpgRouter-Yes-Filter.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HSK
Accepted Solution

Re: SLOW ADSL2+ SPEEDS - 180KB/s - 298KB/s

Hi all,

Just a quick update, the technician attended today, and he found the fault. Now my net is consistent at peak hour and for the first time, it broke into the 400KB/s speed. Despite the distance from the exchange, I am very happy with the speed during peak hour.

See screenshot below for the dramatic gain. The technician initially advise the high voltage line might be intermittent, and probably didn't need any further check, however he decided to do another thorough check and found a fault, and was nice enough to call me to let me know of it. Now I am very satisfied of the speed. Many wouldn't like this speed but for me, it is enough unless I was living next door to the exchange.

fixed.jpg

Mobile test: 

Screenshot_2015-10-16-17-51-06.png

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Yeah, so with your distance, it is estimating about 3Mbps, and your actual line rate is at 3.5Mbps, but the sync rate is only 2.4, which considering you have done that test right in the middle of the most congested time of the day (between 4-9pm) that speed isn't bad for that line distance and line speed.

You can speak to Tech Support and see if they can help, they can look into the line and see if a line fauilt is playing any part of the connection speed and the like but at most you will likely end up increasing from 2.4 to a max of about 3Mbps... 

They are on 133933...

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

HSK

Thank you DrQwerty90 for your reply.

I've spoken to Level 2 tech support, and they've tested the line on their end which was giving an output between 5Mbps to 8MBps. It was also found that my line is found to be at a very high voltage. I don't know what high voltage line means, however they have organised a technician to attend to the repair in the next few days.

Fingers cross it gets fixed, and even if I could get it to 3.5Mbps, that would make me very happy. I'd be over the moon to even get 5Mbps. I'll post once I have updates. 

HSK

Tonight's speed test wasn't great, even after multiple reboots to the modem. The morning speedtest was even worst. I could barely get 100KB/s.

15/10/15 - 11:51pm: I've decided to turn off my modem. It is unbearable as the pages struggle to load at all, even when the net says connected. Can't believe i forked out an arm and a leg for a line installation and pay for the first month i could barely use.

Morning speedtest via mobile. 7:48am

Screenshot_2015-10-15-23-44-15.png

HSK
Accepted Solution

Hi all,

Just a quick update, the technician attended today, and he found the fault. Now my net is consistent at peak hour and for the first time, it broke into the 400KB/s speed. Despite the distance from the exchange, I am very happy with the speed during peak hour.

See screenshot below for the dramatic gain. The technician initially advise the high voltage line might be intermittent, and probably didn't need any further check, however he decided to do another thorough check and found a fault, and was nice enough to call me to let me know of it. Now I am very satisfied of the speed. Many wouldn't like this speed but for me, it is enough unless I was living next door to the exchange.

fixed.jpg

Mobile test: 

Screenshot_2015-10-16-17-51-06.png

View solution in original post

blindcant
Level 3: Gumshoe

If you have automatically obtain DNS settings on in your modem, try setting it to manual and use the IP addresses on the Telstra website for your state.  I did this today, my speed went from 2Mbps to 12Mbps just by changing DNS IP addresses.

HSK

Thanks! I'll give that a go and see if there is more improvements.

HSK

Awesome news. Changing DNS improved the speed by 100KB/s for me to 500KB/s.

Screenshot_2015-10-16-19-53-09.png

blindcant
Level 3: Gumshoe

That is fantastic, I was lucky enough to go from 100-200KB/s to 1.5MB/s with a DNS change.  Something is horribly wrong with Tesltra default DNS settings.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit