zepcheese
Level 1: Cadet

Slow cable broadband Melbourne 3004

I've had some terrible connection speeds lately. I work from home, and rely on solid connection speeds. Normally, I get up well over 40Mbit/s to work... has been as high as 120Mbit/s. Recently it has been all over the place. Some days down to 20Mbit/s to work, and this morning down to 3Mbit/s. I've rebooted the modem and my machines, and nothing. Work servers are in California... but even connecting to Sydney is at around 8-10Mbit/s today. Are there any known problems or more importantly solutions?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
343GuiltySpark
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Slow cable broadband Melbourne 3004

Assuming you're connecting via a VPN - what are you speed results when not using your VPN.
I work for Telstra, but my opinions are my own and not that of Telstras
zepcheese

I can't test to work directly without being connected to VPN.  However, with and without VPN are essentially the same speed to the nearby public California servers... and same speeds to Sydney or Melbourne. 

343GuiltySpark

Speeds over a VPN aren't a Telstra issue. I'm just trying to ascertain if a speed test without a VPN enabled to a speed test server near you are what you should be getting on your plan.

So if you go to fast.com with your VPN turned off what speed result are you getting?

You'll need to speak to your work IT/VPN provider about your VPN speed issue if your cable speeds are normal without it. 

zepcheese

Sorry if my previous reply wasn't clear.  With or without VPN does not impact the speed to any servers I've tested.

I think the problem is either in my packet routing or I'm getting shaped/throttled going trans-pacific.

fast.com does not do any trans-pacific routing as it seems to only test fixed local routes (e.g. within Melbourne for me).  Showing ~25Mbps.  speedtest.net within Melbourne shows about 30Mbps. 

But if I change speedtest.net to point to a California target (Janus in San Jose) I'm only getting 3Mbps. Colleagues get between 20 and 50 to the same target - whether through VPN or not.

My colleague the suburbs (25k oustside Melbourne) gets 100+ Mbps measured through VPN to work and my colleague in Sydney gets 50+ measured through VPN again to work.  We all use the same work-provided VPN.

343GuiltySpark

Id call cable faults on 13 22 00 to have the speed issue for your connection in general to be looked at, id expect in the realms on 80-90mbps on your non VPN connection. You could try turning off your cable modem off for 5 mins then turn it back on and see if that makes any difference.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit