snarelc
Level 1: Cadet

Slow Cable Ultimate speeds

I changed from Optus ADSL to Telstra cable ultimate speed in November 2012.  I was advised at the time of signing up that I would never have speed issues again.  Unfortunately that is not the case.  I mainly download iTunes shows and when I first got the cable it would download the shows in about 5 mins.  A movie would take about 20 mins.  The internet was super fast and I could watch ABC iView with no problem.  I was really happy with the service.

In the last 2 weeks my cable has become extremely slow.  I believe it is now probably slower (or the same) as the Optus ADSL I was previously using.  It takes about 40 mins to download a TV show (which I normally do in the mornings when the speed is at its fastest) and hours to download a movie.  It is so slow I can't actually watch the movie at the same time as downloading (which you should be able to do).  When I try to watch ABC iView in the evenings, lots of times it will only give me the audio as it says the signal is too weak. 

A friend of mine got the Telstra cable around the same time as me as she has said over the last couple of weeks hers has become extremely slow as well (we live in the Parramatta area).

I did phone Telstra last Tuesday and a consultant was supposed to call me back that evening at 6.00pm to take a look at things.  With the past experiences I have had with Telstra, I was not surprised that I did not receive a call back to resolve the issue.

Any ideas why it is so slow?  I really don't feel like spending 2+ hours of my time in the evening on hold or being passed around from one person to another to try to resolve the issue. 

Thanks.

Narelle

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Extreame
Level 20: Director

Re: Slow Cable Ultimate speeds

In reply: @snarelc

Can you post your modem signal levels as well as the modems even log please.

Awaiting your reply Smiley Happy

snarelc

Sorry not very 'cable literate' so not sure what you mean. I'm actually at work at the moment so I don't have access to anything. Can look tonight. Thanks. Narelle
Extreame
Level 20: Director

In reply: @snarelc

That is fine, I have a tutorial that you can follow (tutorial is for all Netgear modems).

You will find both menu's in the GUI for modem signal levels and modem event log, if you run into any trouble, feel free to reply and I will be happy to help you work through it.

In your own time, no rush Smiley Happy

snarelc

Thanks so much I really appreciate that.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit