mrbroadband
Level 1: Cadet

Slow Cable Upload Speed

So, my cable upload speeds are very slow. Currently have speed boost applied as I was interested to see if this would affect speeds. It appeared to double it, but given that my cable upload speeds were sub-1Mb/sec to start with this isn't particularly good. Below is a test from speedtest.net. Download speed is excellent, uploads are a far cry from the 30Mb/sec that is my theoretical maximum. What gives?

speed.JPG

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Brodie_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Slow Cable Upload Speed

Hey Mrbroadband, 

Those results look normal. Cable uploads reach a max of 2.5mbps. so for the standard speed plans the download/upload is 30/1, with speed boost, it is 100/2.5.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

mrbroadband

Thanks for your reply Brodie. That wasn't my understanding of the speed tiers for Cable broadband. I was led to believe that it was 30/5 and 100/30. Is there some official documentation on this, because I am now having problems finding any.
DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey mrbroadband,

These speeds that you have listed is what we are able to provide on the NBN network, but not the Cable service. Brodie has asked for this information to be provided and we are still awaiting an update to confirm if this is available. At present there is no documentation available online advising of the upload speeds for this Cable service. Once we have an update I will have this passed on to you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

phirst
Level 2: Rookie

The disproportionally and extraordinarily low upload speeds are a disgrace. They are not limited by the technology, but simply throttled back by Telstra.

Upload was not really an issue years ago. When will Telstra realise that with more and more cloud storage, that everyone needs to upload large amounts of data, back-ups, photos, whatever, much, much more than days gone by, when it was only download that was important. Upload is more important than ~2% of the rate for download.

It's crazy that I can get upload speeds on my iPhone of 25 to 40Mb/s over the mobile network, yet on cable it's limited to 1-2.5Mb/s! If the (just as frustrating) data limits weren't there, I would be better off running my whole house using the Hotspot feature on my phone!

Ezzie

Im getting upload speeds between 0.01 and 0.56 at best on cable. I use cloud and this is just not good enough.
I spoke to technical support who knew less about computers/modems than my neighbours spaniel. Very frustrating. Time to look at all those brochures from other internet providers I think...we'd be better off with ADSL.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit