Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

SLOW INTERNET / 4G BACK UP GONE??

With Telstra home internet packages, is the 4G backup still functioning? Lately we had issue with speeds down to 0.13Mbps, and after wasting 3-4 hours over this crappy messaging system they advised me and I Quote " The speed of your 4G service has now been reduced as you reached the data limit on your 4G backup service" When i purchased this packed i was assured if any drop outs, the smart modem would kick in with 4G automatically.... there was no mention of 4G data limit!!! What's changed? Coincidently my 24mth contract finished a few weeks back? I noticed Optus have 4G Back up in there pricing, Telstra's pricing evades this point in their current new plans.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: SLOW INTERNET / 4G BACK UP GONE??

As the 4G backup is intended to be a backup it does have a limit applied, no doubt it is there to help minimise people trying to cheat the system and using 4G when their is no fault or issue and to minimise the impact on the 4G network so that it doesn’t become overloaded. That being said, they can extend it once the limit has been hit if there is an ongoing outage. 

I haven’t seen Optus’ offering regarding this, but I do know that like Telstra when I looked at Vodafone’s backup that they too did have limitations in their fair use of the backup and I would be surprised if Optus didn’t too. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Thanx Dr Q,   I thought it only kicks in when Telstra has outages, I didn't know you could purposely initiate 4G on modem. ( Don't understand why people would),  In my case I know I have not initiated the use of  4G, but would be keen to understand how that would have happened as Telstra operator  advised me that I used up my 4G already!!  (Telstra did increase data anyway until technician came out to fix modem) as per screen shot.  Is there a way of checking allowance and when data used? 

Note to Telstra: There should be a specific link on Telstra Site for customers to initate 4g backup if modem failure.

Thanx again

screen shot of msg

Highlighted

As far as I know there is no where to see the usage for it. You can’t ‘manually turn it on’ as such but people have done things like unplugging their modem from the phone line at the wall, so the modem thinks it is not able to connect due to a fault and flicks to back up. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Is this issue resolved completely? We are facing the same problem UPSers.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit