Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Slow NBN- MUST READ (Mawson Lakes) !

I recently signed up to the Superfast 100 Mbps deal 1TB Bigpond was offering as they did a speed test on our house which said we could get between 75-100Mbps (confirmed by NBN) and have only been getting on average 34Mbps d/s- using the Telstra supplied white box router.

Telstra Tech support ran through all the diagnostics including re-setting the router, hard wiring laptop to router and also replacing the router with another one of Telstras routers and finally came to the conclusion that the max speed we can now get (according to Telstra is 39Mbps) plugging our computer

So clearly I have purchased something that Telstra is and can not deliver ie min of 50Mbps d/s. So you would therefor think that the contract is null and void.. be careful. Telstra advised me that they can downgrade our plan to the 25-50 Mbps, but the price of $95 per month will not go down and we can not get out of this contract without paying a disengagement fee of a few hundred dollars.

My case with Telstra is still open- but they have wiped their hands clean of my situation.

I have raised this directly with NBN and they have advised that there is likely an infrastructure connection fault between the fibre and the telstra line which needs to be investigated but wont unless Telstra raises a Trouble ticket on their end, which they haven't..

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Slow NBN- MUST READ (Mawson Lakes) !

You can log into the gateway and check the maximum link speed that your link is capable of.

If its the Sagemcom F@st 5355

Use web browser and got to http://10.0.0.138 default password is admin

Click on Advanced

Click on Gateway Settings

Scroll down to xdsl. the Maximum rate will be displayed.

This speed might increase after 14 months when all customers are cut over to NBN.

Things that might effect the speed are devices plugged into other phone sockets, Central splitter or back to base alarm system that hasn't been removed and not removing splitter/filter been gateway and phone socket. 

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Slow NBN- MUST READ (Mawson Lakes) !

If you log in to your modem http://10.0.0.138 and go to the Internet Connection tab, you should see a statistic for the Maximum Line Sync Rate. What does it tell you?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit