Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 18: Intelligence Chief

Re: Slow nbn running at 230kbps instead of 20mbps

Hi @glenn1961 

For starters have you tried restarting the modem?

for a list of what the lights on the modem mean see here. Assuming you have a Telstra smart modem.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/news-feed/what-do-the-lights-on-your-telstra-smart-modem-gen-...

If this doesn't help I'm sure @cf4 can help in the morning.

I don't work for Telstra, Never have, I am just a Telstra customer like you.
So the advice I give is my own, In my own time, Guided by my own experience/knowledge.
Which I am always happy to be corrected on.
Rohan
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Hi have left the modem off for 10 hours and now switched it back on and have done a speed test 0.2mbps download and the same for upload and the ping speed is 19ms It was all running good till about midday Saturday. The modem phone light is green so is the signal The online is red and the link light has no light Wifi And the power light are green and the pair light is not on 

Highlighted

I am on the nbn 25 standard pack 20Mbps typical evening speeds I have recently moved in to this new place (two weeks ago )with a the same modem i have had for 2 years 

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

It looks like your modem is in backup mode and probably has been in backup mode since moving to new location. Online light turns purple when in backup mode. The link light off indicates main link is not working. Check DSL port if you have an ADSL or FTTN/B connection. Check WAN port. For all other types of connection. The Pair light is normally off and is only on if a cordless handset is registered to modem's DECT base.

On backup speed is normally about 25/2 but if used for extended period of time gets throttled to 256kbps. The throttling can be removed by contacting support. You should also contact support to find out why main link is not working.

Highlighted

Thank you on the phone to them now hope tom get it sorted 

Online light is purple and signal light is red now 

Highlighted

Ok spoke to telstra reset the modem using the r hole under the power light had to stick a pin in it  still no luck so i have tech coming out tomorrow btw 8-12 hopefully get it fixed and thx for all your help

Highlighted

my fault rookie error in setting up the modem tried to plug it in to the wall but didn't realise it was just a phone jack not one for a ethernet cord 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit