simon32
Level 2: Rookie

Slow NBN Speeds

I have only just connected to the telstra nbn 25/5 Mbps fibre to the node service and wish I had stayed with my ADSL2 plan. I was not expecting to get the 25/5 Mbps speeds but I thought it would at least match the ADSL2 download 12/.8 Mbps speeds. Unfortunately not and not close. I'm lucky to see 4/4 Mbps speeds. It's a good thing I don't want to stream movies as the service provided would not be capable. It's a pity the fibre in my street was not connected to the house before the liberals killed the nbn FTP for all. Thats right I have fibre out side my house and i'm connected to a node.

Help would be appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Slow NBN Speeds

It could be network congestion causing the low speeds.

Have you checked your actual link speed?

admin/admin

admin/password

admin/blank (no password)

If link speed is 28/6.8 then it is network congestion or poor Wi-Fi.

If its poor link speed it could be a back to base alarm system or central splitter that hasn't been disconnected correctly.

simon32

Connection speed is 28/6.4 Mbps, no base alarms or splitters and connecting to modem by cat 6 cable. No, it appears VDSL service is worse than ADSL2. It could be the Telstra modem supplied without a user manual. Why would Telstra do that? 

cf4

"Why would Telstra do that? "

Because its Telstra and they are no longer run by engineers but by bean counters and marketeers.

If your line speed is 28/6.4 then its network congestion not the FTTN technology. Telstra has not bought enough bandwidth of NBN co.

If your gateway is Sagemcom F@st 5355 there is a unofficial manual here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzrqIis29Do9bTFxRUFjU3ZoWE0/view?usp=sharing

simon32

Thanks Kudos. Appreciated.
DrQ

Make sure you report it to the NBN Assurance team on 1800 TFIBRE (1800 834 273), so they can actually feed back that more CVC is needed, or if it is already ordered may be able to give you a date when it is expected.

It is pretty common for CVC issues while many people are being connected in a short period as they add it as they need it because of the cost of it.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

W201
Level 14: Field Agent

@simon32

You mentioned that you have fibre outside your house.

If I were you I would be asking NBN to install FTTP. This will cost you money of course but you will be getting a reliable future proof FTTP (not an unreliable FTTN running on last century copper technology). 

Please follow the instruction on the URL below if you are interested to switch from FTTN to FTTP.

http://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/technology-choice-program/individual-premises-switc...

FTTN is like making an old propeller plane fly faster by installing jet engines, therefore unreliable,

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit