KonG
Level 2: Rookie

Slow NBN

ot very happy with the NBN over copper service compared to my existing cable I just installed. Cable near 100Mbps speeds and NBN 20Mbps Upload speeds are not any better. Is this serious? We are going backwards?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Colville
Level 4: Private Eye

Re: Slow NBN

Could be worse, this is my 20mb ADSL 2 we pay $90 a month for

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

To get 20Mbps on ADSL, you would need to be very close to the exchange. Distance is the big killer on ADSL services. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Jupiter

Are you on FTTN or FTTC?

Either way, the upload speed are indicating that there is a problem. 

Was the device you were testing from plugged in via LAN cable or on WiFi?

Have you run the troubleshooter at https://fix.telstra.com to see if it can identify the problem?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Colville
Level 4: Private Eye

I have for years been getting 18-19Mbps sometimes even topping 2 mega byte download speeds (whatever that equates to in Bits). 

A week back now it has fallen over and I can get nowhere with support, just the normal restart / reset / plug  / unplug.

Anyways, sorry for jumping in on this thread, I am just frustrated and was lashing out.

I'll go quite again.

Have a good evening.

Jupiter

2MBps = 16Mbps (there are 8 bits per byte)

I've read back over some of your posts from December, and yes I can see that it was 20/1Mbps, so it does indicate a fault of some kind. What is the modem reporting that the Maximum and Actual sync rates are for your line at the moment?

JM6
Level 8: Inspector

I wish I could go back to ADSL, it was very reliable, unlike the awful NBN fiasco that drops out whenever it likes.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit