sbradley
Level 1: Cadet

Slow speed and dropouts

Hi everyone,

Bit of a saga here. Started 6 months ago when I first got my ADSL2+ hooked up.
Moved out of my parents house into my own place in the same suburb (2 mins away).
At my parents house we had ADSL2+ through Telstra and were receiving 4mbps~ Which was all good living 4k's cable length away from the exchange.
At my new place we are around 400m~ closer cable length to the exchange.
1 socket inside the house, no splitter, foxtel, fax machines etc.
Since the ADSL was connected I have only received speeds of max 1.6mbps and consistent dropouts.

Called Tech support they said that there was a fault in line and they would send a tech out to fix it.
Tech came out and fixed it but no increase in speed or dropouts.
Called tech support back again and was told there is another fault.
Another tech came and fixed it but again no increase speed or dropouts.
After this the girlfriend got upset I was spending so much time on the phone to Telstra and not her and that we were going to Europe for 2 months I gave up.

Got back from Europe and settled in and I'm on the war path again.
Started doing a lot of reading and testing. Packet loss, speed tests, trace routes etc.
When only run 1 computer on the internet and I ping google.com on pingplotter pro its all good.
If i start doing anything else on the internet, surf the net, youtube, utorrent, windows update etc. the packet loss jumps straight to 70% and the internet would drop out. Same for the rest of the tests

So I thought I had them, back on the phone to Telstra. Discussed with tech support what I had found. The tech agreed, he had the usage and dropout history up and saw they went hand in hand. He said there was a fault in the exchange this time. So got another tech out.
This tech was good. Put a lot of effort into explaining things and I explained things on my end, 40 minute conversation later. He said he spent 4 hours trying to find a decent cable between me and the main pit in the suburb I live in. Apparently they were dodgy back in the day and didn't run their cables in conduit just chucked there cables in the ground and filled them in. He had no luck.

He called another tech to run a few tests and he would called me back. He called me back and said that it was a waste of time for me to have ADSL and I should of never had the option to get it because the cable was perished and there was nothing he could do bar running a brand new cable which would never happen. He explained because my parents place was in a different direction from the main pit they weren't on the same cable going to the pillar as me. He said Telstra would be in contact with me to sort something out. He also said he wouldn't be surprised if Telstra offered me a discounted price on wireless broadband seen so they can't deliver on there ADSL and have stuffed me around for so long.

So Telstra call back and say there is nothing wrong with the service, it's within Telstra's acceptable limits because of the cable length. They don't care what speed my parents receive at there house a 5 minutes walk away, they don't care about the ping plotter graphs I have and they don't care about the packet loss and they don't care that I've had none to very little service provided to me. They told me they would waver the cancellation fee and that's it. I felt ripped off so i said that wasn't good enough. Paying for 6 months of broadband I can't use. They said because there is a record of usage on the account they can't give me a refund.

So I contacted the TIO and they said its going to be a formal, long, drawn out process.

My question is for advice on where to head now?

Does the TIO work?
Is all I'm going to get is the cancellation fee waved in the end?
I want Internet but i don't think i have the patience for clicking the refresh button 6 times before a page loads anymore.
Is there any way I can assist the TIO helping me?

I can post router specs, saved graphs, speed tests etc. if it will help

Thanks for reading and hopefully you can shed some insight on this side of things for me.

Sam

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Buch
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Slow speed and dropouts

Hi Sam, if you haven't already done so I'd recommend lodging a formal complaint via the channels outlined at http://www.telstra.com.au/help/contact-us/complaints/ - this will lead to a case manager getting involved to see what can be done about the situation. If the outcome from the case manager isn't satisfactory then the TIO would be the next point of escalation - they would contact us to arrange further investigation and to provide a resolution, but as you've mentioned this may just be a matter of waiving the cancellation fees for the closure of the account.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

JimboF
Level 4: Private Eye

A 5 minute walk away can make quite a differance in overall quality of an ADSL service, given the underground cabling may not follow the explicit path underground that you are walking above ground.. i.e. the cable might go off in a differant direction and then come back around to your house in some way.

I'd say the complaints process would be the way to go, to have everything corrolated to a single person who can manage.

But, the key here, are you able to advise the downstream attenuation for both yours and your parent's ADSL modem (when connected) by any chance? this can give you a strong indication of something that may be wrong.

sbradley
Level 1: Cadet

@JimboF wrote:

A 5 minute walk away can make quite a differance in overall quality of an ADSL service, given the underground cabling may not follow the explicit path underground that you are walking above ground.. i.e. the cable might go off in a differant direction and then come back around to your house in some way.

I'd say the complaints process would be the way to go, to have everything corrolated to a single person who can manage.

But, the key here, are you able to advise the downstream attenuation for both yours and your parent's ADSL modem (when connected) by any chance? this can give you a strong indication of something that may be wrong.

I agree, JimboF.

I have a mate who works for BSA and have gone for a drive around and scouted the cable run and confirmed it with the last tech that came out. Plotting on google maps says my cable run from the main pit is 400m closer but whether it actually is or not is a differant story. 4mbps and less then 0.5% packet loss compared to 1.6mbps and 70% packet loss can't be in distance can it?

I ended up with a case manager the latest time I tried rectify the issue. I wasn't really happy with her service, she kept getting details wrong and when I asked her to repeat what i had said and what she had written down it was differant. If i go to the complaints section will it be the same section as I was provided before.
Not trying to whinge but it was quite agravating

I sure can. I haven't been using the connection very much since it was last reset, I usually use my phone data at home.

Thanks

Sam

My Parents

Link Information

Uptime:20 days, 11:18:00
DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1,015 / 5,027
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]:4.30 / 24.22
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.3 / 19.1
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:26.9 / 53.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:6.9 / 6.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):BDCM / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):-
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):6,421 / 411
FEC Errors (Up/Down):133,238 / 660,353
CRC Errors (Up/Down):14,463 / 29,392
HEC Errors (Up/Down):88,239 / 137,391

My router stats

Uptime:1 day, 0:06:02
DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:809 / 1,936
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:66.52 / 550.09
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.3 / 16.8
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:37.9 / 64.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:6.2 / 7.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):BDCM / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):-
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):18 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):3,897 / 2,099
CRC Errors (Up/Down):1,076 / 38
HEC Errors (Up/Down):1,026 / 163

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit