rorydennis
Level 1: Cadet

slow speeds with ADSL2+

Hello... since upgrading to ADSL2+ I have been less than impressed with my internet service.

I have just completed a speedtest which read very poorly 

When I signed up I wasnt expecting D+ slower than 65% of Australia 

Since changing (telstra Gateway to TG587 supplied by Telstra at a cost) modems I have had to reset the connection more times than ever before due to stagnant speeds if left on for a few hours

Is there any way to fix this or do I just have to accept it until my contract expires?

I am not great with computers so if I need to supply more follow up info please be as detailed as possible as I am out of my depths already 

thanks for your time

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
crumycat
Level 1: Cadet

Re: slow speeds with ADSL2+

Hi Rory

I recently noticed by ADSL2+ speeds have decreased dramatically. I'm now getting speeds of <4mpbs down and <0.50 up. 

I called telstra last night but they feel it is acceptable and the person I spoke to could not even help with a mac. They were more concerned with the fact that the damn power was through a power board. 

I'm personally going to be contacting them again today to request a cancellation of my contract as the speeds are actually faster on my mobile phone, using the Telstra 3G network. 

Up until this week, I never had any reason to complain about the service as it was working perfectly.

Daniel 

Lathania
Level 21: Augmented

Hi Rorydennis,

Welcome to Crowd Support!

First of all those upload speeds indicate you're actually programmed to ADSL 1 for which the speed codes are 8Mb download and 0.374Mb upload. You will generally be on ADSL 1 because Telstra cannot place your service on ADSL2+ infrastructure.

These speeds indicate your service is working quite well although feel free to post your modem stats and I can check to make sure.

Re the "When I signed up I wasnt expecting D+ slower than 65% of Australia " there was recently something released stating that most of the country gets under 3Mb or something like that although I did hear this information third hand and cannot link you to it or quote it directly. Speedtest.net can only judge %'s of people who use the website to test.

Lathania

Don't bother looking at that 'slower than 65%' rubbish, it's not true. Maybe the site is thinking ADSL is upto 20mbps, so 6mbps is 65% slower or something. Forget about it.

However, you mentioned you 'upgraded to ADSL2, what did you upgrade from? Might explain some things...

mok

-------------------------------------------------------

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit