CableGuy
Level 1: Cadet

Slow upload speed on cable

Hello, I am hoping someone might be able to explain why by Bigpond cable upload speed has dropped significantly.

I live in Adelaide and upgraded to the 100Mbps plan (200GB) in January this year.  For the last 9 months I have been very happy with the speeds and, getting over 100Mbps download and over 2Mbps upoload whenever I did a speed test during that time.  My internet browsing speeds has generally been very fast.

However, in recent days I have noticed that web pages have taken far longer to load and internet access seems to have slowed to almost dial up speeds on occassions.

For the last few days I have been doing regular speed tests on various speed test sites, but mainly on speedtest.net.  I have also been running these tests on the Telstra servers in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney (and others ISP servers) and the download speeds that I have been getting have ranged between 1.87Mbps and 113.89 Mbps and upload speeds have ranged between 0.05 Mbps and 2.2 Mbps.  Sometimes the test would time out because the upload would take so long.

While at some points over the last few days I have got over 100Mbps download and over 2Mbps uploads, I have probably run the test over 100 times and got those speeds maybe 3 times.  Up until a few days ago, I could run the test 100+ times in a row and get 100+Mbps download and 2+Mbps upload every single time.  Now it fluctuates every test and changing servers makes no difference.

Generally, my upload speeds over the last few days have not been any higher than about 0.5Mbps and most of the time much lower, around 0.1Mbps!

I am using Cat6 ethernet cable and I have changed the cable and used different ethernet ports and it makes no difference.  I also tested the speeds on my laptop, both wireless and hard wired using ethernet and it makes no difference.  I am still generally getting very poor upload speeds.

I have obviously restarted my mobem many times, rest it to factory setting and I have spoken to tech support who did a rest at their end.  Tech support are telling me that everything seems fine at their end.  I have a technician coming out on Monday to look at it, but if previous experience repeats itself, I don't expect to get anywhere when the technician comes out.  I will probably be told that they can't find anything wrong.  So basically they will probly end up telling me that getting 0.1Mbps upload is normal!.

The other interesting thing that tech support told me, which I don't believe I challenged them on is they told me that upload speeds are determined by my computer.  As expected, they basically started turing the issue around to me and my equipment.  I can guarantee you that there is nothing wrong with my computer, which is evidenced by the fact that the same slow upload problem happens on my laptop, mobile phone and ipad.  Three days ago they were all lightening fast.  I told tech support that if upload speed was determined by my computer, I would change the setting so that I could get 100Mbps upload too!

I just don't understand why for the last 9 months I have had rock solid 100+Mbps download an 2+Mbps upload and lightending fast and super responsive loading of web pages and now when I try to load a web site on either my computer, laptop, mobile phone and ipads, it can take a very very long time, compared to what I have been used to over the last 9 months.  Surely, the only answer is a problem at Telstra's end, but they don't seem to care (the tech support attitude over the phone) and I have serious doubts that the problem will be fixed.

I don't have any viruses on any devices and I have done nothing different on any devices since this problem started, compared to the previous 9 months.  I am extremely cautious about what I download and install and I haven't downloaded or installed anything since this problem started a few days ago.

The final issue to bear in mind is that in relation to the speeds tests that I have been running over the last few days, more often than not, I still get 100Mbps download speed, although my download speeds have still had wild fluctuations compared to the last 9 months and I have also still got 2+Mbps upload speeds on rare occasions.  So the point is that I can and have still got my expected download and upload speeds over the last few days, but in particular, the fast upload speeds have only been achieved a couple of times within a window of a minute or 2 during the day.  So how can they explain that those speeds that I should be getting can still be achieved, but it has been extremely rare to achieve in the last few days, compared to being able to achieve it 24/7 for the last 9 months!!

It the problem can be resolved, I will cancel all my Telstra services and go naked ADSL through Internode.

I am running Windows 7, 64bit and IE10.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
19 REPLIES 19
CableGuy

Re: Slow upload speed on cable

UPDATE: Technician came out this morning and it was working reasonably well before he came out (this morning only).  He changed over some connections in the box that were years old and I am very happy with speed again now.  I hope it lasts and is not temporary.  Technician was very helpful.

Right now when I do a test to the Adelaide Telstra server on speedtest.net, I get the following results:

Ping - 0ms

Download - 113.5Mbps

Upload - 2.30 Mbps

Can't complain, but it would be nice if they opened more upload channels so that I could get higher than 2.30 Mbps, particularly considering that on 100Mbps NBN plans (which I can't get) you can get 40Mbps upload speeds.  I don't know why Telstra won't give higher upload speeds on their 100Mbps cable plans.  I am not looking for 40Mbps, but even if they lifted it to 5 or 10Mbps I would be very happy.

CableGuy

Since this evening, the download speed has dropped again to about a third of what it should be (~30Mbps) and browser response time has slowed right down again.  I am struggling to get speedtest.net to finish an upload test.  It is back to being slow and unreliable again.

Why is it always the way that you can run hundreds of speed tests and get poor results most of the time, but then when the technician comes out, it works fine, but once they leave it goes back to being poor and unreliable.

I will sit on it for a week and see what happens and if it is still poor, I will ring tech support again and get a technician back out.

It seems clear that there is a problem at Telstra's end but the difficulty will likely be getting someone focused on resolving it.

Mimimarie20

i also have been having the same problem with slow uploads and downloads for some time now and also the tech came and did the same at my end,i used to have no probs with using cam on skype which is why i wanted fast internet as i have family over seas BUT...now at my end i drop out alot and i'm sure it's all to do with the slow upload,i have a fast PC and a good cam and as i said never had a prob untill about 10 months ago and like you cableGuy i will be ringing them back again !!!!! as we pay enough for our....meant to be fast internet cable drives me mad !!!! 

when it goes fast it really goes....but i would like it to be that way all the time not here and there

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Mimimarie20,

Keep contacting Tech Support if you have difficulties with your BigPond Cable service. You can report difficulties with your service by contacting Tech Support here.

Have you tried performing a factory reset of your cable modem?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Gertie
Level 3: Gumshoe

I also have slow upload / download it's the whole reason I moved from Optus to Telstra was to improve my upload and download speeds.

I am attempting to upload a 333mb file and it's saying 2hrs and 30 minutes it should be about 3 minutes.

thedylan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Gertie,

If you are on Cable Ultimate then your maximum upload speed would be 2 Mbps, which would give you a throughput of about 200 kBps for your upload at the most. That would mean a total transfer time of around  half an hour rather than 3 minutes. However you don't seem to be reaching that so I would recommend having a chat to our Technical Support Team on 133933.

-Dylan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

bondeye9

I have had the same problem with upload speeds for over a month on fast cable.  Every few days upload will drop from 1.0 Mbps to 0.1 Mbps or less for a couple of hours or longer (once for 2 days).  Download speeds also drop but are still acceptable. Speedtest results are significantly different each time.  Sometimes upload is too slow to complete test.  Pages take a long time to load if they do load. Telstra support have checked modem configuration and are now blaming both of my laptop browsers (Internet explorer 11 and Google Chrome) and suggest I pay them to check my laptop to see if the software is up to date, even though I tell them I have the same problem on my Ipad using apps.  Software cant be wrong on both devices especially as it works fine most of the time and I regularly update.  Problems all started straight after a planned outage where the local network was upgraded.  Have contacted tech support several times without success.  Twice when I called, support admitted there were intermittent network issues but most times they have no record on service status page and wont accept that problem seems to be outside my system.  They treat each call as a separate incident and not a recurrence of the same problem.  If they call back a day or so later and speed is back they assume problem is fixed even though nothing was changed to fix it.  I was assigned a case manager by support who sent an email with a link so I could deal with same person in future but I have had no response since using that link

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi bondeye9,

From what you describe, it sounds like a device is updating to a cloud server or is involved in file sharing. 

If you have a smart phone or tablet, I would start by making sure that the photo streaming and cloud back up services have been disabled and monitor this for a couple of days.

If you have just the one computer, I would recommend downloading a bandwidth monitoring program as this will tell you exactly what is accessing the internet on that computer. 

- Shelly

pmoon

I to am having the same issue, my upload speed is 800 KBsec when trying to send a 10Meg file via my bigpond account, it takes 4 mins?? yet when i send the same file by my other ISP (TPG) account using same the telstra NBN link the file goes in 2-3 seconds?? Nobody in telstra can exoplain why. So I am forking out 135$ a month to get an 800knsec uplink its garbage. Some much for the network of the future!@@#$

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi pmoon, 

What type of connection are you using Cable or NBN?  

For NBN we have the Base Speed 25/5 Mbps *, a Very Fast Speed – up to 50/20 Mbps * and the Super Fast Speed Boost - up to 100/40 Mbps * ^
The same is true with Cable.  There the Fast Speed 30/1 Up to 30/1 Mbps * and the Speed Boost - up to 100/2 Mbps *

These speeds exceed the capabilities of some content servers and personal computers.
Actual speeds will be slower and will vary due to a number of factors including hardware and software configuration, source and type of content downloaded, the number of users and performance of interconnecting infrastructure not operated by Telstra.

If you are experiencing issues with speed on either connection here are a few things you could look at:

• There is an quick overview on how to test your speed on both Cable and NBN services on the following  link: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Testing-your-broadband-speed/ta-p/278139

• Isolate your modem.  This means when you run a speed test make sure you have on PC connected via an Ethernet cable and all other devices, including the ones connecting via Wi-Fi, turned off or disconnected.

• Close unnecessary programs.  Some programs and apps will run in the background and can mess up the results. Be sure to exit any programs that back up to a cloud server, involves file sharing and ensure no programs are running updates in the background.

• Uploads. Another possible cause of dataflow (and disconnection issues) can also be found when the maxim mum upload bandwidth is exceeded and the modem does an internal reset. If you do a lot of uploading, check the settings to see if your software is able to limit the bandwidth available.

• DNS settings. If this issue is found only affecting one PC or device, then the DNS settings may have been manually configured. You can use any of the DNS settings listed here:http://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/dns-settings-for-accessing-bigpond

• For BigPond Cable modems, Check you have the correct power pack . You can find more information regarding this here: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Cable-Wifi-speeds-and-power-pack-used/td-p/3769...

• For Telstra on NBN, Connect your computer directly to the UNI-D port on the NTD and compare the speed test results. If it has improved, the modem may need to be Factory reset, or returned to factory defaults.

• Factory reset.  In many instances returning your modem to the default settings can resolve service issues. Any personalised settings will need to be reconfigured.
If you are still having speed issues, you can report a fault on ... 133 933 for Cable Broadband or 1800 TFIBRE (834 273) opt for NBN Broadband.

- Ben D

glandelf

Just to remind people that 1Mbps upload speed means "bits" not "bytes" which is what we normally mean when you see 5Mb photo. So you divide bits by 8 to get bytes. So 1Mbps is 125 kb/sec, so your 5Mb photo will take 40 seconds (less some speed for overheads but that's another story). This upload speed limit is the main issue for anyone on cable and it doesn't matter if you have a fancy 5ghz router with 11AC running and it obviously affects everything you use including;

- uploading email attachments

- uploading facebook photos

- uploading videos to Youtube

- uploading files to OneDrive or Dropbox

- torrent sharing

This is a basic system constraint for cable because the asynchronous link (ie downloading video channels to your Foxtel box) is what the whole system was built for - ie dowload fast / upload slow. When they set up cable to allow people to use it for internet, no one dreamed that "cloud" storage would happen. Now that it is built into Win8 and hard to turn off, we will be seeing the Telcos struggling to manage the huge upload surge of Mum and Dads home videos in the default video folder going up the net!

So Telstra/Optus - fix it. Paying $20/month to double my upload speed to 2Mbps is a joke. My first lot of photo archives (78 Gb) will take 5.5 days and paying $20/mth for it to be 2.5 days is pathetic. It's time for an overhaul. I'd like to know what the plan is before it all melts down?

Ashley
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi glandelf.

Thanks for the question around cable upload speeds. At this stage I’m unable to confirm any exact changes. With that said we are always looking at improving our network and such plans can take time to deliver.

SJL01

I checked with the 24x7 chat (which crashed due to server issues) but the official line is only 2Mbps supported for upload. Clearly a business decision - not technical.

Telstra I state this:

1. You will lose market share to other NBN based retailers if you dont address this before NBN covers more of your soon to be ex-customers

2. You could charge an additional amount for premium upload speeds

3. It is unethical to throttle and tell your staff the system has technical limitations - emails are getting bigger and we need to have better upload - many customers I know are now looking at compoetitors and those with NBN have gone....

Please look into your business model and try to understand the implications of not listening to customers who have a choice....perhaps you could even make some more money out of it???

SJL01

Also - why was my previous post removed? Because I suggested customers shop around? Anti-competitive . . .
Deanna

Hi @SJL01  your post wasn't removed, it appears here on the Telstra Ideas board:

Upload Speed Boost Option for Cable Plans

You can view your posts, by clicking on "Profile" 

Regards,

Deanna 

Mitchilled

Is there some way I can increase the maximum upload speed beyong the 2mbps?  I have ultimate cable with the speed boost and I've had a download speed of 110mbps but upload won't go higher than 2mbps.

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Michilled, 

It is not possible to do what you are asking with a Cable Broadband service.  You may wish to check and see if NBN is available in your area as the maximum NBN plan offers uploads of around 40 Mbps.

http://tel.st/nbnwow

Ben

Andrew37
Level 2: Rookie

Hard to believe that the last post here about the slow Telstra cable speed was last year!

I too are having very low speeds.

The tech came out, after spending hours waiting on hold and then more hours, talking to level zero phone support, at the wrong time.

I was at work, but lucky for me, i had printed out the log graph of my download speeds over the last couple of weeks. So when the tech called me and told me that the 69 Mbps that he was getting was "quite acceptable" and sent the message that i was wasting his time...... i was able to refer him to the printed log, which he slowly admitted to have already seen. He then offered to check the connections in the pit outside and check the connection point into the house.

After about 30 minutes, he calls me back and tells me that the download speed is about 70Mbps and i can monitor it for a couple of days.

That night, the speed once again dropped to about 8Mbps and continued to bounce about at different times of the day.

Before anyone comes back to me and asks if the router was reset, pc rebooted, wifi turned off,etc it's already been done by the Level 0 and level 1 supoort .

I called Telstra back and got them to elevate my call to level 2 support. On the 1st of Feb, i got an sms telling me that the Level 2 support has started and they will tell me what they find out.

If i'm told that there are to many uses connected to the cable, then i want my money back.

If i'm told that i have to wait for the hfc for the nbn to be completed in my area (3802), i want my money back.

If i don't get the speeds that i have paid for, i want compensation.

Infernal

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this paractice is not the exception.

I know this is a paradoy but it does explain the morality (or lack there of) these compnaies have in business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ilMx7k7mso

Enjoy.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit