Astroboy1976
Level 2: Rookie

Smart modem blocks Lifx UDP and TCP port 56700 when in Mobile mode

Answered

OK, so I have a bunch of Lifx globes. The can work both locally through my internal network or can also be connected to the cloud which means they can be controlled externally. 

When my Telstra smart modem is working normally, the lifx globes are connected to the cloud and can be controlled from anywhere. But I realised that when the modem is in Mobile Mode (NBN was down for a few days last week in my areas and so the modem went into Mobile Mode using its internal Sim card), the lights could no longer be controlled externally. After a bunch of back and forth with Lifx, they said that UDP and TCP port 56700 needs to be unblocked by my ISP. 

The Telstra support team (via the My Telstra chat) are ... no offence... useless and couldn't help. 

So posting here - is this something that I need to get Telstra to do as it's only when in Sim / mobile mode?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart modem blocks Lifx UDP and TCP port 56700 when in Mobile mode

Port forwarding want work on mobile backup so setting up port forwarding in the modem will not resolve the issue if the problem is due to the ports being blocked. If the globes support IPv6 you could try setting up IPv6 port forwarding rules. The modem's IPv6 address is public.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

This is probably because the LTE mode is in the standard IPV6 only mode and needs to be set for IPv4v6.

How you do that depends which version of the Smart Modem you have (label on the bottom of the modem).. 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Astroboy1976

Thanks @SteveW_52 . Didn't know that. When I get home I'll check and get back to this thread. Thanks a lot. 

SteveW_52

You can search here in CrowdSupport for the unofficial user guide for your modem..  handy things to have because the Smart Modems come with nothing...Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4

Even if you sett modem to request an IPv4 address from the server the ports will still be blocked due to CGNAT (Carrier grade NAT) on mobile connections. CGNAT occurs due to there being a limit of IPV4 address so you only have a private IPv4 address when connected to the backup network. Eventually even fixed line internet services will only have a public IPv6 address but I don't see that happening soon

Astroboy1976

Hi @SteveW_52  so my modem model is the LH1000. I'll have a look if I can find such a setting for the LTE to change to IPv4 but if you can assist that would be great. Cheers

Astroboy1976

Astroboy1976

Hi @cf4 , not being technical, if I read into what you're saying, it's simply not possible to resolve my issue of having my lifx globes connect to crowd when in Mobile Mode? Could I do port forwarding on the modem or will that still not work?

cf4
Accepted Solution

Port forwarding want work on mobile backup so setting up port forwarding in the modem will not resolve the issue if the problem is due to the ports being blocked. If the globes support IPv6 you could try setting up IPv6 port forwarding rules. The modem's IPv6 address is public.

View solution in original post

Astroboy1976

Bugga, from what I know, Lifx lights don't support IPv6!! But good to know - I'll go back to them. I assume I'm not the only one around the world who has modem with mobile backups and smart globes?!!  : (

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit