Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Smart modem installed - no internet

Answered

I installed my smart modem to switch from cable to NBN about 26 hours ago. I have WiFI connection to all devices but no internet. Can anyone tell me how long I should have to wait for activation? Is that a thing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart modem installed - no internet

It could take days or weeks for activation to occur as not only does it require NBN Co and Telstra to program the changes it also involves a Technician to change connections in the street. Suggest you reinstall your cable modem.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

It could take days or weeks for activation to occur as not only does it require NBN Co and Telstra to program the changes it also involves a Technician to change connections in the street. Suggest you reinstall your cable modem.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for your quick reply. It seems the fancy installation guide that says “Get online in no time” was a trap 😫

Highlighted

Normaly with the Smart modem you should have an Internet connection via the 4G backup even when main link is faulty or not activated but it appears in your case that the modem's 4G backup is not working.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Looks like l am having the same issue, with impending cable cutoff and having to move to NBN.  Went through the same process as you and got the same result, called Telstra support, told to contact sales, keep going round in circles with online/text/chat, did you manage to get this resolved?

Highlighted

Hi. I eventually found someone to speak to via this link http://tel.st/hsc3 and after having the same text conversation 3 days in a row, got someone who told me my modem wasn’t activated. Once they did something to fix that, I got a connection. I spent 3 infuriating days being told that I didn’t have an internet connection because I’d never ordered NBN. No amount of explaining seemed to make anyone understand that I’d been sent the modem and ordered to install it or lose my internet. 

Highlighted

I’m having the same problem! Round and round in circles with messages and chat, frustrating 

Highlighted

same

Highlighted

Thanks to all.  The link pasted above just 404'd, to resolve i had to add the Telstra app and contact them via the chat on that.  I was walked through the installation.  The key to this is getting them to register the MAC address of the new cable adapter, once this was done normal service resumes on cable with the new gear.  Yesterday l got a call, OMG a real person called, to arrange a transition across to NBN, now the real fun.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit