SRI3010
Level 2: Rookie

Smart modem not seeing certain devices

I have an issue with my nbn broadband with telstra smart modem.

2 x TV's and my laptop all of a sudden don't see my wifi network but my phone, ipad and 2 other TV's see it perfectly.

I even took my laptop to the computer repairs and signal is perfect there with no problems connecting. Even bought an external wifi dongle and works at repair shop but not at home.

have done all the resets, wifi on and off, enabling 2.4ghz on and off and still nothing. Even bought 2 new TV's and still don't see it.

I spent 3 days on the phone and direct chat with telstra trying to fix my problem and they suggested it must be my TV and laptop being the issue. Their final conclusion was to pay telstra premium to fix my problem as they don't know.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thank you in advance.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Smart modem not seeing certain devices

I would suspect that your modem has lost one of the wi-fi bands, probably the 2.4 GHz one..

You haven't said which of the two models of smart modem 2 you have but they use the same process to log in to them..

Open a browser, type in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar to get to the modem log in page .

Use the credentials Username: admin and Password: Telstra

Once you are there go to Advanced Mode then Wi-Fi and check watch page - on one of them, you will find an option to Enable Band Steering - turn that off and save the setting..

Your modem Wi-Fi will now broadcast on two seperate bands - the 2.4GHz band will have the name of the Wi-fi you were using, the other being 5 GHz will have -5G appended to the name. Password remains the same for each..

Now, when you try to connect a device, you should 'see' those two seperate bands..  if you don't, then the modem is faulty and you will need to contact Telstra via the My Telstra | Get Help | blue chat icon, to get a replacement.

Note that you will have to reconnect all the other devices that were working, selecting the XXXXXX-5G network to connect to..  they should all reconnect just fine..

Not sure why the Wi-Fi dongle doesn't work, it isn't related to the modem Wi-Fi and your devices should see that wifi from the dongle without any issues.. (note that the dongle won't see the Modem Wi-Fi and vice versa) - the wifi dongle is a standalone device/service with a mobile broadband sim for internet and a local wi-fi network of it's own.

What

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
lpc14
Level 1: Cadet

I have exact the same problem today. Occurred last year too Bd I can’t remember how I fixed it. Calling Telstra was useless though I recall that! 

SteveW_52

If you haven't tried already, you can go through this troubleshooting process..

https://fix.telstra.com/?red=social-care-d954524-lithium-23582799-20201110-public

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
SRI3010

Thank you stevew_52 for your help.

I just turned off the 2.4ghz band steering as suggested and my phone recognised the network xxxxx - 5G but my laptop and new TV's still didn't recognise the network.

In regards to the wifi dongle for my laptop, it's just just an external dongle which picks up wifi signals as the wifi card in the laptop is apparently gone.

Thank you again for your help.

SRI3010

Hi Steve,

When I copy the link it just takes me to my previous conversation with telstra via the mytelstra app 2 days ago😬

SteveW_52

Try opening the link in a browser..  (on a laptop or PC).

Yo should end up here (when you have logged in - they need to know who you are)...

https://fix.telstra.com/smart-troubleshooting/select-service

My preference is to do my own testing, as I described in an earlier post..

Stevo 52
SRI3010

Sorry Steve, does the same thing on my laptop, it just takes me to the telstra trouble shooting home pages.

SRI3010

Gone through the testing with telstra and they say it's fine from their end.....

SteveW_52

Well, that is what is for - troubleshooting.. if it finds something wrong it should allow you to raise a fault at the end..  but it is somewhat limited..

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Well their end probably is OK, did you check wi-fi issues at your end? that is where your problem is...

Try the other steps I suggested - log in to the modem and check if band steering is enabled... then try to confirm that you can see the two wi-fi bands...

Stevo 52
SRI3010

Hi Steve,

Yes, turned off the band steering for the 2.4ghz and my phone and ipad recognised the 5G network but the new TV's and laptop didn't recognise the 5G network.

I turned the band steering back on and my phone and ipad recognised the 2.4ghz again but TV's didn't.

Ahhhh frustrating!

SteveW_52

If you have band steering ON, there is only one Wi-Fi network, with the simple name (no -5G added to it).. but it allows devices to pick either of the bands if they are available but only the 5G devices could connect (so that indicates no 2.4 GHZ being broadcast).

So, when you had band steering OFF, you devices couldn't see the 2.4 GHz network but the 5 GHz was visible and devices could connect to it.. so that confirms the lack of 2.4 GHz connectivity.

You are getting confused by the Wi-Fi network name (also known as SSID)..  The 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band on your modem has failed..  so you need a replacement modem. Time for you to chat with Telstra and explain what you have found. They should send out a replacement modem fairly quickly.  This is a common fault with one version of the Smart Modem 2 in particular - the Technicolor DJA0231 (I think you will find that information on the label on the bottom of your modem). But the other version - the Arcadyan LH1000 has also been reported as having the same fault sometimes.

Good luck from here - Telstra usually respond positively and fairly quickly to such equipment failures..

Stevo 52
SRI3010

Thank you Steve much appreciated! I'll call Telstra direct tomorrow and let them know the findings.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit