Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Smartmodem Gen 2 LH1000 - ADSL and IPV6

Until last week my internet was ADSL from aaNet, using a FritzBox modem that provided IPv6 via a 6to4 tunnel. My new Telstra modem seems to be lacking many basic features, including static routes (really!) and a 6to4 tunnel ability. It was running in 4G backup mode until yesterday, when they got ADSL working, but it appears the ADSL line doesn't provide IPv6? I've spent several hours now with Chat, calls, and callbacks from support trying to find out whether I can get IPv6 native or tunnelled, and it appears they don't have a clue. The last call back spoke to "Platinum Support" for me, who told her I needed to ask "Billing". she kindly talked to them for me (said she had to wait in line for ages) only to report back that they didn't have a clue either. So, I don't know if I need IPv6, but since switching to the new modem I lost connectivity to my Withing WiFi scales, my two WiFi vacuum cleaners, my smart lighting (Google Home says the light isn't available now), and many phone apps are not working at all or working sporadically. eg WhatsApp tries to call, rings, then says the WiFi is blocking WhatsApp. The BOM website has problems, as does NAB banking, other sites and streaming video work fine. However when I switch to the 4G LTE backup, which DOES support IPv6, most of these things start working again. I've worked through settings on the WiFi side - turning off the 5GHz wireless and setting the 2.4GHz back to 20Mhz from Auto seems to help some connections, but my last move was to turn off all the new modem WiFi and revert to the old LinkSys OpenWRT APs at the far end of the house, which helped a lot. Still the problem with the lack of static routes, so I set the FritzBox up as a router only, sending the various intranet and vpn connections to the appropriate gateways and using the "SmartModem" as its default route. Not what I would call a clean solution. So, I'm hoping someone here knows whether it is just a matter of getting IPv6 "switched on" for my ADSL link, or if it is not an option. Telstra Support clearly doesn't.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Smartmodem Gen 2 LH1000 - ADSL and IPV6

You can't get IPv6 on ADSL. It sounds like broadband protect is causing most of your problems. You can bypass broadband protect by changing DNS in modem to a non Telstra DNS. See section 31 od document linked in this post for instructions on how to change DNS. Change both IPv4 and IPv6 DNA and reboot modem after making changes.

Highlighted

I've had it set to CloudFlare for DNS right from the start, as we use that for our external mapping (raw for vpn, proxied for websites) anyway.

But that is another huge annoyance, we should be able to point it to our internal DNS servers, which handle our IPv4 and IPv6, forwarding to client intranets, site vpns, etc, and are integrated with our DHCP servers. Why is this modem so crippled?

Highlighted

All the Telstra modem's are crippled like this. They are designed for the normal user who just wants an internet connection but it should not block you from certain sites and using normal apps. What version firmware does the modem have? Latest firmware is 0.09.11r. Modems with early firmware versions did not support NAT loopback and the firewall prevented SMB traffic between wired LAN and WiFi. Even the latest firmware does not support NAT loopback fully.

Highlighted

Firmware is 0.09.11r

I just went and took a look at "Broadband Protect", tried disabling as much as I could.

They say I can't get NBN here (only satellite, fixed wireless stops on the other side of the road) but I have a huge Telstra fibre-optic cable going into my garage, where it terminates in a great big 32-way by 2MB (I think) box, managed by a dedicated Cisco router on its own ADSL line monitored by AT&T (they call me whenever it goes down or loses power, usually around 2am), of which only a single 128kbps line is used, for a dedicated link to a corporate gateway.

And nobody from Telstra will admit it exists, much less tell me how I can connect to the internet over it. Smiley Sad

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit