Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Some websites not down loading

Since yesterday afternoon, some websites down load okay (e.g.AFL) others don't (e.g. BOM). I have switched eveything off and on again, switched cables etc. No result. The green light is on, and the modem is telling me everything is fine. Wi-Fi and ethernet are both experiencing the issue.

Any ideas?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Some websites not down loading

Have you tried other web browsers?
I had a problem once where YouTube didn't work in FF but IE and Edge were OK.
Have you Add blocking software at all?
Here my add blocker was on and I couldn't look into the post when I clicked 'More'
Highlighted

I have checked the Telstra outages site several times since yesterday - and informed that everything was fine. However, I just checked again, and suddenly there IS cable problem in the area. Kinda frustrating given the amount of time I have spent trying to sort out the issue at my home.
Hopefully they have it operating soon.
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

If some sites work and some not, it is definitely not Telstra outage... During the outage nothing works... Looks like some problems with DNS resolution and/or routing. Any chance that you are one of the "fiddlers" who play with DNS settings?
Also, did you try what @Whiskey7 suggested? Some browsers do misbehave...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Highlighted

I have tried IE, Chrome, Firefox, Bing etc - always same result.
As for DNS settings - I have absolutely no idea how to do that! (I am not even sure what they are!)
Thanks for the post.
Highlighted

OK, @Rosco50. Do this... Power down your modem for at least three minutes (ideally unplug it from the power point) but 10 minutes would be preferable... Do the same with your devices (computers, phones, tablets)… Then start everything again... Does it fix your problem? If not, please post examples of sites that do not work, so I (or other people here) can try and see what's wrong...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Highlighted

I tried powering everything down (15 mins +) Still happening.
Sites such as www.AFL.com.au, www.ticketmaster.com.au, www.perthairport.com.au are all fine.
However www.bom.gov.au, and www.commbank.com.au won't load. Both had message "too long to respond".
www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au had message "too many redirects".
one ,( espncricinfo) only partially loaded.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I experience the same issues with all Apple products after iOS 12.1.4 update and there is a bit of news going around that there are some wifi and cellular data bugs that came with the update.

Highlighted

We have been trying everything for the past two days. Netflix, Foxtel Now, Commbank apps on all devices in the house won't load through the modem but work perfectly on mobile data. I've found plenty of other topics going back as far as '09 about the same issue and the only workaround was to change the DNS settings on the modem, except that's not possible on the Gateway. Other topics just close out of sheer frustration.
Highlighted

you could try changing the dns settings on the computer as apposed to the router.

Id also be curious if your running 

- ADSL or NBN?

- does your status on internet connection indicate IPv4 or IPv6?

- what happens if you turn off java scripting in browser?

- which Operating System your using?

(i run adsl,  ipv4, Win7 64-bit )

I had a similar problem for 3-4 days however after unplugging the phone cable to the modem for 10 mins and clearing browser cache (setting " for all of time" ) i was able to get back on the sites i was blocked from.

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
Highlighted

I have the same issues. In Perth (South of the river) Telstra NBN. Websites work fine when I disconnect from NBN and use mobile hotspot on the phone. bom.gov.au; Qantas; news.com.au; banking websites all not loading. Must be a Telstra NBN issue. 

Highlighted

I've been having the same problem with my NBN connection for the last 2 days. I'm located in Perth too and can't access www.bom.gov.au www.thegoodguys.com.au www.news.com.au www.ebay.com.au www.carsales.com.au www.abc.net.au www.abc.net.au/news/ www.qantas.com.au www.cnet.com www.weatherzone.com.au all of the banking websites don't work and the banking and ebay apps on my phone and tablet also don't work, I've tried resetting the gateway a few times, I've turned off the gateway and unplugged it a few times, I got the sites and apps to work for about 10 minutes then they stopped working again.

I've tried chaging to google DNS but that didn't work, glad I'm not the only one having this problem.
Highlighted

Yep issues down in Byford

I've been having issues for a couple of days now but Telstra initially refuted any problems at there end. Its "good" to see others having problems.

Highlighted

Having similar issues. NAB, EBAY and a few others not working. Fine on the phone (vodafone) so 100% telstra.

On the phone now trying to resolve this issue or understand how long it will last.

Highlighted

Same for me in Mandurah, Western Australia on NBN. Thought I was going crazy this morning when I couldn't access some sites (e.g. - apple.com) or netflix on my tv. I come home from work and still the issue persists. I hope someone sorts it out.

Highlighted

I just changed my DNS settings on my router to use google DNS and now everything seems to be loading. Worth trying if you are frustrated like I was.
Highlighted

I Tried turning off the gateway overnight and pulled out the phone line, I turned it back on this morning but forgot to plug the phone line back in so it was connecting to the internet through the backup sim, all the sites that didn't work worked fine over the 4G network but when I plugged the phone line back into the gateway all the sites stopped working again!

I also tried accessing those sites with my phone on the Optus 4G network and I'm not having any issues with that connection either.
Highlighted

Same for me: when I disconnect the Gateway modem and use my laptop using hotspot on the phone these websites will load fine. Clearly a Telstra (or NBN?) problem. Telstra is not very helpful at all.Can't get any action from them. I'm in Perth (South of the River) as well. Have recently had several messages from Telstra they're doing maintenance to the NBN.
Highlighted

I'm currently on a Windows 10 HP Spectre that's about 6 months old. On NBN and have been without drama for about the same time. Modem is running IPv4, nothing in the IPv6 settings. And as for the Java settings, it's on every device in our house; 2 Samsung S9's, PS4, Telstra TV, Xbox One and the Laptop. All of which can access everything fine on mobile or when hotspotted. This is 100% a Telstra issue, yet no one from Telstra seems to know how to fix it.

Cheers Cretsiah, we've had the modem off multiple times, upwards of half an hour at one point and still nothing.
Highlighted

Update: As I finished typing my last response, everything has decided to work again (wasn't at the beginning of the post). Will keep an eye on it over the day and check back in if it goes again, which it has done previously.

Thanks everyone
Highlighted

40mins later and it's all gone again. Thanks Telstra, quality service.
Highlighted

Yep Same here, sites were here at the same time they were working for you and now they all don't work again.
Highlighted

Try weather zone on twitter. they report database problems and are working on it.

T J

Highlighted

I am relieved to see that others are experiencing the same issues as me. I live in the northern suburbs of Perth and it's clear that there is a problem in the greater Perth area.

It's interesting that when I check the official Telstra status page I am still being told there are no known issues. However, when I check the Telstra Dashboard app on my mobile phone, it says "Cable service is disrupted". 

Telstra needs to get the act together!

Highlighted

Certainly not alone everyone. I've had this since Monday. It can appear from ne then all of a sudden nothing works again. It's on random websites, Xbox won't work properly, Netflix won't load. Having mobiles connected to the wifi stop operating correctly. They have elevated this but I don't see a quick resolution. Speed tests are fine but I run tracert on command prompt and I time out almost instantly.
Highlighted

Sorry about my grammar and spelling. Off with a back injury and typing when on my back is not the most fun.... or accurate
Highlighted

@ForensicsGuru, If its not a Telstra outage, please explain why the sites are only not loading when connected to the Telstra network. On the same device I hotspotted with mobile data (vodafone and optus) and the sites load perfectly fine.
Highlighted

It might be Telstra issue with DNS, but not outage... But we would be just playing with words and that would be waste of everyone's time...

Highlighted

I just tried again - and everything is now working. Hooray!

I just hope it stays that way and doesn't occur again.

Thanks for all the posts.

Cheers!

Highlighted

Guess what? Just tried those websites and it's happening again. Bummer! Very disappointing. I was able to connect for 3 whole minutes.

Highlighted

Telstra Dashboard on my phone now says "Confirmed NBN network issue"
Highlighted

I've been messaging Telstra on their Facebook page and told them to google "Telstra some websites won;t load" to see how many complaints there are on the issue. Was told they'd escalated the issue, though no idea where to.

My dashboard also confirms and outage now so hopefully this means someone is looking at it
Highlighted

Quite a few posts on Telstras Facebook now about it. Someone has said they are aware of the issue and it should be fixed within 24h. I won't hold my breath, I'm seeing other people being told they need to pay $60 for the "Premium Tech Support". How is that in any way, shape or form, legal?
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

If any of you that have the website issues can you see what happens if you have a VPN service and select an Australian IP address. If it connects ok, then turn off the VPN and see if it then works?

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted

Yes, we have been experiencing exactly the same for at least 3 days now. Mostly banking, PayPal, big news sites (ABC, etc). All work fine when using our mobile data. We're on NBN in Perth (Quinns Rocks).

Highlighted

Everything has been working fine for the last 15 hours or so. Hopefully this means that Telstra has sorted out the problem at last. I just hope it does not return.
I also hope all you others with the same issue are back to normal too.
Thanks for all the posts.
Highlighted

Is anyone still having the same issues? I've just had my 2nd modem sent out to me and still the same issue with some websites not working!!! This is absolute madness! 

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@mika31 - Just to clarify, are you unable to access the same sites on all of your devices, but those same devices work okay when you access it via an alternate connection. eg: using a mobile as a hotspot.

The issue above has resolved a few weeks ago, so if you are experiencing difficulties, I would like to confirm that you have tried some basic checks such as: 

Update your internet security

Clear browser cache

Try an alternate web browser

Restarting your computer/devices & modem

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit