Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Speed alocation

Answered

Hi my broadband works fine all day as soon as someone else comes home and starts downloading they appear to take all the speed and then all other PC/Tablet lags. What can I do to get more of an even share of the speed. The home is smart wired so not wireless connections. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: Speed alocation

Hi - I am not familiar with all Telstra branded modems. I am unaware of any current residential Telstra modems that have the ability to partition your WAN broadband service by setting allocated bandwidth limits to nominated devices connected to the LAN. You would have to look elsewhere for a modem or router that supports this advanced function. Some managed LAN switches with enhanced QoS functionality may also offer a similar feature. There is also the human factor to consider in managing the arrangement after set up which also has it challenges depending on the users involved.

This is an example of how the function works on a router.   

https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/faq/557/

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi - I am not familiar with all Telstra branded modems. I am unaware of any current residential Telstra modems that have the ability to partition your WAN broadband service by setting allocated bandwidth limits to nominated devices connected to the LAN. You would have to look elsewhere for a modem or router that supports this advanced function. Some managed LAN switches with enhanced QoS functionality may also offer a similar feature. There is also the human factor to consider in managing the arrangement after set up which also has it challenges depending on the users involved.

This is an example of how the function works on a router.   

https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/faq/557/

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit