Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Strange connection failure

Answered

Last week my connection mysteriously dropped out, affecting all my household devices.

I followed instructions as per Telstra's online troubleshooting guide, which included a manual resetting of my Telstra-issued modem.  That appeared to restore connectivity through my modem for all my devices (except my PC).  My wifi no longer has the same name and is not password protected.

From my PC, I can connect to the wifi, but strangely not to the internet. 

At "View your network properties", my wifi has "Operational" status, but two Local Area Connections (both Microsoft Wi-Fi Virtual Adapters) have "Not operational" status and "Disconnected" Connectivity

Running the Windows Networks Diagnostics, it states "Wifi doesn't have a valid IP configuration".

Any suggestions?  I am not getting anywhere with Telstra's technical support, and I am getting desperate for help.

Thanks,

Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Strange connection failure

On a device that is connected to the modem (Not the PC) open a web browser and go to http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra.

Go to Advanced WiFi, go to the 2.4 GHz TelstraABA02D access point, turn WiFi PMF of and save settings.

Repeat for the 5 GHz TelstraABA02D access point.

Disconnect and reconnect PC to the modem's WiFi.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi - you have Wi-Fi connection but no IP address from the modem's DHCP server  - have you tried to restart the PC so that it gets a fresh IP address?  

Highlighted

What is the model of your modem (DJA0231 or LH1000). There is a label on the bottom of the modem with the modem number. If you have the DJA0231 I suspect the 2.4 GHz Wifi is faulty. Your PC probably only supports 2.4 GHz WiFi and is connecting not to your modem but another WiFi network. To check if WiFi is faulty open a Web browser on a device connected to modem and go to http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra. Go to Advanced > Devices. A list of all connected devices is displayed and how they are connected. If all WiFi devices are connected to the 5 GHz WiFi and non to the 2.4 GHz WiFi then there is a good chance the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty and you will need to contact Telstra support for a replacement modem.

Highlighted

Just thought of something - after using the NBN for four months, one of my elderly friends could not connect to the Internet from her Wi-Fi connected laptop. When I had a look, her laptop had somehow mysteriously, without her involvement, got connected to the Telstra provided Fon Wi-Fi service for International Travelers, so I reconnected it back to modem's Wi-Fi SSID name and password.

I note you indicated your PC was connecting to a different SSID which did not require a password which may be the case for any free neighbouring Telstra Air Wi-Fi service - I don't know, I have never used it. I understand you would have to pre-authourise your account and modem to be used as a Telstra Air site, thereby allowing you to connect to any other Telstra Air Network when you are out and about within Australia. As it is a free public network, it is not secure. Maybe your PC is trying to connect to the Internet through one your neighbours' Telstra Air services. 

Highlighted

Hi Supreme Being,

My modem is the DJA0231.

At Advanced>Devices it tells me:

- I have two wifi and zero ethernet devices connected.  This is I know to be correct.  Under devices there are three entries:

Hostname=E1112304; Status=grey; MAC address listed; Wireless 5GHz

Hostname=iPhone; Status=grey*; MAC address listed; Wireless 5GHz

Hostname=Owners iPad; Status = green light; MAC address listed; Wireless 5GHz

* = I know this to be correct; currently the iPhone is disconnected to the wifi

- Mobile is enabled, status is disconnected, radio type is LTE,

- Wifi is enabled, and has 2.4G and 5G versions

- For local network, DHCP is enabled, and both Modem IP and netmask have numbers

- Telephony has 1 registered and 3 unregistered accounts (news to me)

It seems to me that the modem is faulty...although that would not explain why iphone and iPad otherwise have connections.

I cannot reach Telstra tech support.  I am simply sent a link to a website to do some troubleshooting, which identifies I then need to contact tech support(!).  

Highlighted

Yes, have tried to restart and it has not resolved the problem.

Highlighted

The 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty and your PC probably only supports the 2.4 GHz WiFi band which is why it can't connect. iPad and iPhone can still connect because both these device are dual band and can connect to either the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz band. The fact that there are only devices connected to 5 GHz indicates the 2.4 GHz is faulty. It is not uncommon for the 2.4 GHz WiFi on the DJA0231 to go faulty and to still show as enabled in the modem's settings.

Have you tried using the messaging function in the get help section of the My Telstra app. Leave a message for some one to contact you.

Highlighted

I went to the Telstra store and was given a replacement DJA0231.

Came home, plugged it in and after a pause I was able to access the internet on all my devices.  Hooray I thought.

Then I switched off the PC.  And when I turned the PC back on I was back to the problem of it not being able to connect with the internet.

To rehash, I can see my (new) modem in Network in "Available Networks".  I can connect to the modem but not to the internet.  IP setting is automatic (connect to DHCP).  Modem has these details:  

SSID: TelstraABA02D
Protocol: Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n)
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 2.4 GHz
Network channel: 6
Link-local IPv6 address: fe80::b52b:8fe1:3c32:ebed%5
IPv6 DNS servers: fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
Manufacturer: Pegatron corporation
Description: ASUS 802.11n Wireless LAN Card
Driver version: 5.0.57.1
Physical address (MAC): 90-E6-BA-99-58-76

I think I am chatting with an automated person via Telstra messaging.  It informs me that nobody can call me, but I dont think I can explain the problem via the automated prompts.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

On a device that is connected to the modem (Not the PC) open a web browser and go to http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra.

Go to Advanced WiFi, go to the 2.4 GHz TelstraABA02D access point, turn WiFi PMF of and save settings.

Repeat for the 5 GHz TelstraABA02D access point.

Disconnect and reconnect PC to the modem's WiFi.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi - Your Wi-Fi Hardware Properties from Open Network and Internet Settings snapshot may show a potential issue that is preventing connection of the PC to the Internet. It has no IPV6 Address for the Modem which usually has the last suffix digits of your Modems MAC address e.g. ff:fepa:88:re%7  where pa:88:re matches your modem, no IPV4 192.168.0.x and no IPV4 192.168.0.1 DNS Server. 

The IPV6 entries shown in your modem appear to non operative or local link style addresses - they are all the same?

IPv6 DNS servers: fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Can you look into your Adapter Properties and check what IPV4 and IPV6 settings are currently applied in case the tick box for automatic assignment of IP Address from a DHCP Server has disengaged somehow. If no success after PC reboot, can you try to manually assign the IPV4 addresses to see if connection possible. After reboot, if that doesn't work, the ASUS Wi-Fi card may have an issue? 

Highlighted

Thank you for your response.  

Success - this seemed to work!  Just curious, what have I done by disabling PMF?

Highlighted

Disabling PMF disabled Protective Management frames. Protective Management Management frames add a new level of WiFi security that protects stations against forged management frames spoofed from other devices that might otherwise disrupt a valid user session. Some devices don't support PMF and if it is enabled on the router will stop them communicating properly with the router as they do not support or understand the additional information included in the MFP encryption.

Highlighted

Thanks CF4,

Unfortunately this morning I could not get internet on my PC, and to make matters worse, now neither my iPad or iPhone have connectivity either (i.e. they can connect to the wifi, but not receive internet). 

Re-enabling and disabling PMF, deactivating/reactivating my wifi connections, and resetting the modem didn't seem to work.

Whenever I tried to navigate to a website, there would be a bit of a delay, and then I would get a DNS-related error.  Which makes me think whether Mkrtich might be onto something.

Mkrtich:

Thanks for your Tuesday response.  Admittedly I am not sure how one can tell there is no IPV6 address for the modem.

Could you please tell me where I can find Adapter Properties?  Is it through Windows, or through the modem settings.

Incidentally, I was going through my internet settings and discovered my homepage had been set to http://www.trovi.com/?gd=&ctid=CT3333673&octid=EB_ORIGINAL_CTID&ISID=F972F17A-3633-4B61-9C66-19C0E62...

I don't recall making such a change, and this makes me wonder if I have been compromised somehow and/or it is related to the problem I am experiencing. 

Highlighted

Please see my reply to cf4.  Thanks

Highlighted

I think your current problem is unrelated to your earlier problem. There appears to be a problem with the Telstra network which is effecting a lot of Telstra fixed internet customers.

You can find out your adapter properties by opening a command prompt (Click start and type cmd, select command prompt). Run the command IP config.

Highlighted

Yes , you may actually have a few issues that have combined to create mischief.

1. A web search reveals Trovi to be Malware, a Browser Hijacker - you may have to remove it manually by researching how, on the web i.e. MalwareBytes. If you look up your Browser history, you may find evidence of Trovi first redirecting your web search entry - the trigger for the event may be the previous site listed. These things cause much annoyance and distress to people and I hope you can clear out the culprit. 

2. CMD command, ipconfig provides a good summary of IP addressing being used by the device. I sometimes use the extended view for IP addressing details, particularly IPv6 additional information, it is viewable by using ipconfig/all. 

3. Telstra network stability issues and sometimes Telstra Broadband Protect can inadvertently cause no-connection issues to some web sites. .

Highlighted

I forgot to cover how to confirm if your Windows 10 PC is set to have its IP V4 and IPV6 addresses automatically assigned by the modem's DHCP Servers. If you are not getting an IPV4 address from the modem's DHCP server, check how the PC is set up for IP address assignment. 

Right click icon on system tray - either the Wi-Fi Icon or PC Monitor Icon if using LAN

Select Open Network and Internet Settings

Select W-Fi then Change Adapter Options

Right Click on the Wi-Fi Icon then Properties

Select Internet Protocol V4(TCP/IPV4), then Properties

Ensure Auto Assignment radio button is selected.

Check the same for IPV6 Address assignment in the previous Page - Networking folio.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit