JA5
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Strange shaping

Answered

My Internet connection upload speed is capped at 5Mbps even though my line is capable of 40Mbps (have tested previously on an old plan) and my current plan allows up to 20 Mbps. Have gone through two incidents so far as well as a complaint and a couple of NBN appointments but still no one is the wiser as to what is going on, and every time I engage with support, I get asked the same L1 questions over and over again. Help.

Please don’t aim for my head.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Strange shaping

The upload speed being throttled to 5 Mbps has happened before on FTTC and was due to a NBN programing fault.

To prove it is a NBN fault and not throttling by the modem have you done a speed test with a PC connected directly to the LAN port on the NBN FTTC NTU.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
cf4

Could you provide the following information>

1. What model is your modem (DJA0230, DJA0231, LH1000....)?
  2. What type of NBN service do you have (FTTP, FTTB. FTTC. FTTN. or HFC)?
  3. Have you tested upload speed on WiFi and wired connections and using different devices?
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

In addition to the queries from @cf4 , what speed plan are you on?

If it is Superfast or above you are probably also on the NBN Premium speed tier. As best I can work out, to get the higher download speeds, the connection is reprofiled and as a result you only get approx 20 Mbps upload.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Ozmoz

@JA5 wrote:

My Internet connection upload speed is capped at 5Mbps

Hi @JA5 

Are you on a Velocity plan?

My body's absorbed so much hand sanitizer that when I pee, it cleans the toilet. 🙂

Footnote: I dont work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
JA5

1. LH1000
2. FTTC

3. Yes, all had the same result: max 5Mbps

JA5

I’m on Premium Speed + Unlimited Data

JA5

You mean FTTP? No, I’m on FTTC.

cf4
Accepted Solution

The upload speed being throttled to 5 Mbps has happened before on FTTC and was due to a NBN programing fault.

To prove it is a NBN fault and not throttling by the modem have you done a speed test with a PC connected directly to the LAN port on the NBN FTTC NTU.

View solution in original post

JA5

Sweet, thanks. Did this and got a steady 100 down / 5 up. How can I convince Telstra this is an issue?

JA5

Alright. Linking to this post seems to have done the trick. Thank you.

This does not appear to be an NBN programming issue.

I have checked the programming on our side which reflects 100/20 which is the same in NBN portal.

I even modified the service to 100/40 temporarily in NBN portal and then back down again as it achieved the same speed.

DPU port status is stating the it should be able to get a higher upload speed.

Once they did this, my speeds went back to normal. Off-topic, anyone know why Telstra chooses not to offer a 40 Mbps upload if this is possible?

Jupiter

Cost (NBN charges less for 100/20 than 100/40), and to keep the number of plans on offer simplified.

NBN Co's preference was to get RSPs to offer 100/20 as the standard offering as this reduces the amount of congestion on their network (it's a playoff on the available bandwidth - lower upload speed usually gives more reliable download speed - especially in areas with large numbers of active connections).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit