Level 3: Gumshoe

Strange Wifi Connectivity/Behaviour

Answered

Connected fine for a few days, Windows 7 PC, now suddenly it doesn't connect at all for hours on end, will connect for a brief period (less than 5 minutes) then suddenly it decides its connect and fine

Telstra Smart modem Gen 2 (new)
HFC NBN
Wifi Connects to and works on my iPhone X without interuption no problems.
New WifiCard - TP-LINK AC1300 Dual Band Express Adaptor Archer T6E

(From speccy)
Wi-Fi (TelstraF3C77C)
SSID TelstraF3C77C
Frequency 2437000 kHz
Channel Number 6
Name TelstraF3C77C
Signal Strength/Quality 87
Security Enabled
State The interface is not connected to any network
Dot11 Type Infrastructure BSS network
Network Connectible
Network Flags There is a profile for this network
Cipher Algorithm to be used when joining this network AES-CCMP algorithm
Default Auth used to join this network for the first time 802.11i RSNA algorithm that uses PSK

Have tried disabling 3rd party antivirus (Avira)
Have disabled IPv6
numerous router resets
reset winsock in command prompt (though no idea why, as it wont connect to the network)
windows says drivers are up to date

None of these options have worked

what are the options here? the only way the computer gets internet is through hard connection to my iphone, which is connected to the wifi anyway

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: Strange Wifi Connectivity/Behaviour

ok so through my own research I've manged to resolve the not being able to connect to the 5gHz band, there is known issues with the type of wifi card and i need to manually change some settings in the router 

Solution came from:-

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/170070

Followed this:-

To have 5gHz settings to this:-

and now it connects no problem. its just the distance from the modem that is the issue. Thanks both of you for your assistance. 

Now i just cant download anything via uTorrent 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - your TP Link Wi-Fi card supports 802.11ac 5 GHz I assume, so try Disabling Bandsteering in the 2.4Ghz page of the modem and SAVE. You should now see two SSIDs - one for 2.4 Ghz and the other for 5 Ghz. Link your PC to the 5 Ghz to see if it remains connected. 

@Mkrtich wrote:

Hi - your TP Link Wi-Fi card supports 802.11ac 5 GHz I assume, so try Disabling Bandsteering in the 2.4Ghz page of the modem and SAVE. You should now see two SSIDs - one for 2.4 Ghz and the other for 5 Ghz. Link your PC to the 5 Ghz to see if it remains connected. 

Hi Mkrtich, firstly thank you for your response

Yes the wifi card does support dual band, all the manufacturing notes say it supports dual band screenshot of the website regarding the product. https://ibb.co/DfYw7cp

I have tried this, and it doesn't connect to the 5 GHz bandwidth at all. Simply get the error message "windows cannot connect to this network" after entering the WPA key. Is this possibly something I have to activate in the adaptor settings, and if so, any idea how?  

Here's the speccy for the 5g Bandwidth:-
Wi-Fi (TelstraF3C77C-5G)
SSID TelstraF3C77C-5G
Frequency 5180000 kHz
Channel Number 36
Name TelstraF3C77C-5G
Signal Strength/Quality 68
Security Enabled
State The interface is connected to a network
Network Connectible
Default Auth used to join this network for the first time 802.11i RSNA algorithm that uses PSK

Slight update; i physically changed the position of the card on the mobo to a different pci-e slot, for now this has fixed the connectivity issues with 2.4gHz wifi connection. 

Level 24: Supreme Being

What version of the Smart modem and what is its firmware number. There are two versions one made by Arcadyan (LH1000) and the other by Technicolor (DJA0231). The Model and firmware no is displayed on LHS of modem's log in page.

@cf4 wrote:

What version of the Smart modem and what is its firmware number. There are two versions one made by Arcadyan (LH1000) and the other by Technicolor (DJA0231). The Model and firmware no is displayed on LHS of modem's log in page.

Apologies, it only occurred to me to provide this after publishing the above reply. 

Gateway Information
Firmware Number
0.11.11r
Gateway Make Model
Arcadyan LH1000

Is the computer located far from the modem. 68 dbm for the 5 GHz band and 87 dbm for the 2.4 GHz for the is not a very strong signal. Suggest you install the WiFi Analyzer app by Matt Hafner on your PC open it to the Analyze tab and check the strength of your modem's WiFi compared to surrounding networks.

Edit

Just noticed you have Windows 7 the app is only for Windows 10. You could open a command prompt and run the following command "netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid"

@cf4 wrote:

Is the computer located far from the modem. 68 dbm for the 5 GHz band and 87 dbm for the 2.4 GHz for the is not a very strong signal. Suggest you install the WiFi Analyzer app by Matt Hafner on your PC open it to the Analyze tab and check the strength of your modem's WiFi compared to surrounding networks.

Edit

Just noticed you have Windows 7 the app is only for Windows 10. You could open a command prompt and run the following command "netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid"

Distance, going by a direct line of sight (through about 2 walls) roughly 8-10 metres. But I've moved the router closer and this is the speccy result 

Wi-Fi (TelstraF3C77C)
SSID TelstraF3C77C
Frequency 2437000 kHz
Channel Number 6
Name TelstraF3C77C
Signal Strength/Quality 92
Security Enabled
Network Connectible
Network Flags Currently Connected to this network

Wi-Fi (TelstraF3C77C-5G)
SSID TelstraF3C77C-5G
Frequency 5745000 kHz
Channel Number 149
Name TelstraF3C77C-5G
Signal Strength/Quality 83
Security Enabled
Network Connectible
Yeah I am only Windows 7, as according to Microsoft my PC isn't compatible with a Windows 10 upgrade.  

CMD commands you gave me, give about the same info as speccy does regarding the networks. 

It still will not let me connect to the 5G band wifi. I have tried Ethernet over power, but this didn't seem to work. 

Have you used the TP Link Wizard disk that is supposed to update any drivers for Win7? And then used the TPLink Utility to attempt connection to the 5Ghz network or are you using the Windows Networking method which may not have updated drivers? I agree with cf4, your signal strengths are at marginal measurements. You can see both SSIDs but only connect to the 2.4Ghz which may indicate signal strength issues with 5Ghz - can you connect to the 5Ghz band using a mobile at the same location as the PC? You can also look at Adapter properties to see if both bands are enabled there.

Do you mean you connected power line adapter from original modem location so that modem was in same room as PC and still couldn't connect to the separate 5Ghz SSID?

Accepted Solution

ok so through my own research I've manged to resolve the not being able to connect to the 5gHz band, there is known issues with the type of wifi card and i need to manually change some settings in the router 

Solution came from:-

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/170070

Followed this:-

To have 5gHz settings to this:-

and now it connects no problem. its just the distance from the modem that is the issue. Thanks both of you for your assistance. 

Now i just cant download anything via uTorrent 

View solution in original post

Thanks for posting the solution which might benefit some one else with the same problem. The article didn't mention changing channel width did you have to change the channel width from the default Auto 20/40/80 to 20/40 for the 5G WiFi to work.

@cf4 wrote:

Thanks for posting the solution which might benefit some one else with the same problem. The article didn't mention changing channel width did you have to change the channel width from the default Auto 20/40/80 to 20/40 for the 5G WiFi to work.

So the router only gave me a few channel options with Auto 20/40/80 which was channel 36 or 52. didn't try Channel 52, but Channel 36 didn't work. 

So i altered the channel width to 20/40 and the lowest channel it would allow was 44, and this worked. 

It was trial and error, keeping with trying to select the lowest possible channels as the post in the screenshot by Cated recommended either 36,40, or 44. 

Interesting diagnosis and well done. Unexpected that the TP Link card seems to prefer the low band 5Ghz frequencies and not the higher band DFS frequencies that may be used by the Telstra router. The bandwidth aggregation limit was also informative to see and the two parameters that influenced the outcome in your case, one would normally expect the router to dynamically adjust to the circumstances as they arise. Cheers

@Mkrtich wrote:

Interesting diagnosis and well done. Unexpected that the TP Link card seems to prefer the low band 5Ghz frequencies and not the higher band DFS frequencies that may be used by the Telstra router. The bandwidth aggregation limit was also informative to see and the two parameters that influenced the outcome in your case, one would normally expect the router to dynamically adjust to the circumstances as they arise. Cheers

All this and i bombed out pretty hard in Networking IT in Uni xD I've honestly only learnt from trouble shooting and hours of google searching various terms with issues like this. I don't understand exactly channels and frequencies (a tiny bit) but yes, quite an interesting set of circumstances. 

And this wifi card is recommended by a few review sites, as well as a personal friend who is techy 

@Mkrtich wrote:

Have you used the TP Link Wizard disk that is supposed to update any drivers for Win7? And then used the TPLink Utility to attempt connection to the 5Ghz network or are you using the Windows Networking method which may not have updated drivers? I agree with cf4, your signal strengths are at marginal measurements. You can see both SSIDs but only connect to the 2.4Ghz which may indicate signal strength issues with 5Ghz - can you connect to the 5Ghz band using a mobile at the same location as the PC? You can also look at Adapter properties to see if both bands are enabled there.

Do you mean you connected power line adapter from original modem location so that modem was in same room as PC and still couldn't connect to the separate 5Ghz SSID?

I missed this reply somehow. Re:- power over Ethernet. I have two d-link adaptors in the wall sockets near my router and near my computer. I run cat 6 cables as you'd imagine, and it just says "a network cable is unplugged" haven't really done a lot of trouble shooting with that, because of this Wifi issue. 

It has shown as connected for a couple of seconds twice, but i can't seem to get it back. The wifi card was in a pci-e port physically close to the DSL/Cat-6 port on the mobo, i have since disconnected the cable and moved the wificard to a different pci-e port as i believe this was causing the issue that was the original reason for me starting the thread. But haven't tried reconnecting it since, just sorta gave up and concentrated on this wifi issue. 

Also regarding signal strength, would you perhaps suggest a wifi booster of some sort?

latest speccy on both bands:- 
Wi-Fi (TelstraF3C77C)
SSID TelstraF3C77C
Frequency 2437000 kHz
Channel Number 6
Name TelstraF3C77C
Signal Strength/Quality 92
Security Enabled

Wi-Fi (TelstraF3C77C-5G)
SSID TelstraF3C77C-5G
Frequency 5220000 kHz
Channel Number 44
Name TelstraF3C77C-5G
Signal Strength/Quality 81
Security Enabled

Hi - When operating at low Wi-Fi signal strength areas, if you had issues, your PC would have slower speeds, freezes or occasional dropouts - if that is not occurring you might be OK. The Adapter is rated at 867 Mbps maximum 802.11ac speed in an ideal environment.

If you would like to understand what influences Wi-Fi outcomes, I found the articles below very informative. These Wikipedia articles show you the relationship between the factors that influence configuration parameters and are followed by all manufacturers in order to get Wi-Fi certification. 

As I understand it, in order for the TP Link Adapter to achieve the 867 Mbps theoretical rate, if the modem resources are available at that point in time, it would have to connect using 2 Spatial streams at 80Mhz, in the lower 802.11 ac bands ( 4 sets of 20Mhz bonded - 36, 40,44,48), use 256 QAM Modulation scheme, a 5/6 coding rate and a 400 ms Guard Index. Very rarely does this occur as the environment and traffic load is highly variable in customer premises - some people have 10 wireless device or more, so you may connect at lower combinations of determining factors if greater resources are not available and located in a marginal coverage area. 

Setting the bonded channels maximum to 20/40Mhz lowers the speed maximum limit but provides more channel resources to other devices. The modem is suppose to do that automatically when set to 20/40/80 as required - for reasons unknown, the TP-Link adapter doesn't like that (maybe solved with future TP Link firmware update). 

1. List of WLAN channels - shows you which Channels are used for each combination of 20/40/80. Unaware of how the Telstra modem allocates its bandwidth i.e. Channel 44 shown could mean 20 Mhz or Channel 44+48 to give you 40 Mhz at that point in time. You will know what combination is being used by the speed in use from the next table in point 2  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

2. IEEE 802.11ac - shows you the relationship between Spatial Streams, Modulation, Coding and Guard Index. By checking your Adapter transmission speed, you can tell what combination it is currently using. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac

To complicate things there are two 5Ghz services - legacy 802.11a (limited to 54 Mbps) and current 802.11ac (speed determined by adapter features, in your case 867 Mbps - some adapters operate at higher than 867 Mps speeds).

What speeds show on your TP Link Adapter Properties in Windows 7 or Windows cmd command - that is your transmission speed to the modem? If these are consistently healthy, then you may be OK. By limiting your bonded channels to a 20/40 arrangement, per the Modulation and Coding table, the maximum modem to device speed one could anticipate would be 400 Mbps. Bear in mind these speeds refer to internal home connections and the real world situation is governed by the NBN service you subscribe to. 

If your speeds are being severely compromised and you are encountering the conditions listed above and if an Ethernet cable is not a viable proposition or Powerline Adapters are lower speed than Wi-Fi and you have a preference for Wi-Fi connectivity, then a Wi-Fi Repeater is certainly worth looking at. The Telstra Booster 2 model is made for the Telstra Gen 2 modems, will update under control of the modem, supported by Telstra if you have any issues and should operate well. The last time I looked, it was on the web pages for $216 or pay it off at $9 a month over two years. Ethernet cable is superior if it is viable solution for your home.  

When I suggested the problem was due to low received WiFi signal I thought the Signal / Strength quality was measured in dbm, but it is a percentage measurement. 92% for the 2.4 GHz band and 81% for the 5 GHz band is good. I have a USB WiFi adapter plugged into my laptop and get 80% signal strength with the Laptop about 8 Meters from modem and with three walls blocking the signal. Here are the stats of the connection using the command "netsh wlan show interfaces"

Name : WiFi
Description : D-Link DWA-182 Wireless AC Dual Band USB Adapter
GUID : b2xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx7a
Physical address : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
State : connected
SSID : Private_N3
BSSID : xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Network type : Infrastructure
Radio type : 802.11n
Authentication : WPA2-Personal
Cipher : CCMP
Connection mode : Auto Connect
Channel : 6
Receive rate (Mbps) : 650
Transmit rate (Mbps) : 144
Signal : 80%
Profile : Private_N3

Name : WiFi
Description : D-Link DWA-182 Wireless AC Dual Band USB Adapter
GUID : bxxxxxxxxxxxx7a
Physical address : xxxxxxxxxxxx
State : connected
SSID : Private_N3-5G
BSSID : xxxxxxxxxxxx
Network type : Infrastructure
Radio type : 802.11n
Authentication : WPA2-Personal
Cipher : CCMP
Connection mode : Profile
Channel : 149
Receive rate (Mbps) : 650
Transmit rate (Mbps) : 175.5
Signal : 62%
Profile : Private_N3-5G

On a speed test the 2.4 GHz test is 44/12  and the 5 GHz test is 43/12.

It would be cheaper to replace the TP link WiFi adapter card with a USB WiFi adapter. Your PC might be emitting a lot of EMF and a USB WiFi adapter would suffer less interference.

A booster might improve the speed and would also have the benefit off boosting the WiFi performance off other devices. Cheap WiFi extenders extend the WiFi distance but the speed will always be at least half the WiFi link speed of device close to modem and connected directly to modem's WiFi. You would be looking at a mesh system or the Telstra Gen 2 Smart WiFi booster ($216). I have used the Gen 2 Smart WiFi booster and it does increase the speed of device with poor WiFi performance that are far from the modem. You could even use the Telstra Gen 2 Smart WiFi booster as a WiFi to ethernet adaptor with the boosters ethernet port connected to ethernet port on PC.

What model Power line adapter do you have?

Yes, I must admit I thought the same about your original OP having a -dBm measurement for signal strength. Apple also use -dBm for Wi-Fi signal strength measurements. In the Arcadyan modem Wi-Fi Devices List and Diagnostics/Wi-Fi pages, the measurements are in -dBm. Not sure if Speecy simply extract the DOS command result for their figure and what baseline they use for 100% - maybe there is a table on the web somewhere. The only percentage figures I have seen in the modem relate to power settings on the Wi-Fi transmitter.

@Mkrtich wrote:

Hi - When operating at low Wi-Fi signal strength areas, if you had issues, your PC would have slower speeds, freezes or occasional dropouts - if that is not occurring you might be OK. The Adapter is rated at 867 Mbps maximum 802.11ac speed in an ideal environment.

If you would like to understand what influences Wi-Fi outcomes, I found the articles below very informative. These Wikipedia articles show you the relationship between the factors that influence configuration parameters and are followed by all manufacturers in order to get Wi-Fi certification. 

As I understand it, in order for the TP Link Adapter to achieve the 867 Mbps theoretical rate, if the modem resources are available at that point in time, it would have to connect using 2 Spatial streams at 80Mhz, in the lower 802.11 ac bands ( 4 sets of 20Mhz bonded - 36, 40,44,48), use 256 QAM Modulation scheme, a 5/6 coding rate and a 400 ms Guard Index. Very rarely does this occur as the environment and traffic load is highly variable in customer premises - some people have 10 wireless device or more, so you may connect at lower combinations of determining factors if greater resources are not available and located in a marginal coverage area. 

Setting the bonded channels maximum to 20/40Mhz lowers the speed maximum limit but provides more channel resources to other devices. The modem is suppose to do that automatically when set to 20/40/80 as required - for reasons unknown, the TP-Link adapter doesn't like that (maybe solved with future TP Link firmware update). 

1. List of WLAN channels - shows you which Channels are used for each combination of 20/40/80. Unaware of how the Telstra modem allocates its bandwidth i.e. Channel 44 shown could mean 20 Mhz or Channel 44+48 to give you 40 Mhz at that point in time. You will know what combination is being used by the speed in use from the next table in point 2  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

2. IEEE 802.11ac - shows you the relationship between Spatial Streams, Modulation, Coding and Guard Index. By checking your Adapter transmission speed, you can tell what combination it is currently using. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac

To complicate things there are two 5Ghz services - legacy 802.11a (limited to 54 Mbps) and current 802.11ac (speed determined by adapter features, in your case 867 Mbps - some adapters operate at higher than 867 Mps speeds).

What speeds show on your TP Link Adapter Properties in Windows 7 or Windows cmd command - that is your transmission speed to the modem? If these are consistently healthy, then you may be OK. By limiting your bonded channels to a 20/40 arrangement, per the Modulation and Coding table, the maximum modem to device speed one could anticipate would be 400 Mbps. Bear in mind these speeds refer to internal home connections and the real world situation is governed by the NBN service you subscribe to. 

If your speeds are being severely compromised and you are encountering the conditions listed above and if an Ethernet cable is not a viable proposition or Powerline Adapters are lower speed than Wi-Fi and you have a preference for Wi-Fi connectivity, then a Wi-Fi Repeater is certainly worth looking at. The Telstra Booster 2 model is made for the Telstra Gen 2 modems, will update under control of the modem, supported by Telstra if you have any issues and should operate well. The last time I looked, it was on the web pages for $216 or pay it off at $9 a month over two years. Ethernet cable is superior if it is viable solution for your home.  

Lots of great info here, thanks. Speed tests for  both bands

2.4 gHz5 gHz

As you can see there's no difference in the d/l speed, so restricting the channel width to 20/40 and to channel 44 allows the pc to connect to the wifi network, but that's about all. Have tried other channels with 20/40 with no success and with auto (20/40/80) and no success.  

Adaptor settings in windows 
2.4 gHz

5gHz

From what i read on the TP-link forum, apparently no driver updates from tp-link since 2014, for windows 7 at least.

And there is third party driver which was released in 2015 which allows you to select the 5gHz band, but that is only for windows 10

At this point I am thinking of getting a new wifi-card as this seems ridiculous, or getting an new wificard with a new build and get Windows 10 with it (Microsoft says my current build is not compatible for Windows 10 upgrade apparently) Here's my  speccy:- https://ibb.co/F8LdY9g

Any recommendations for a new wificard or usb wificard as apart of a new build or with this windows 7 pc?

All looks as good as it gets. The speeds from adapter to modem are in accordance with expectations which confirms signal strength is not an issue for both bands. You must be very close to the local Telstra Exchange ADSL to get 23/2 which is near to ceiling operation of ADSL2+. It doesn't matter how quick you get to the modem, the WAN or speedtest result is controlled by the Internet service you are subscribing to. I don't think upgrading your adapter would improve matters. Looks fine to me.

@Mkrtich wrote:

All looks as good as it gets. The speeds from adapter to modem are in accordance with expectations which confirms signal strength is not an issue for both bands. You must be very close to the local Telstra Exchange ADSL to get 23/2 which is near to ceiling operation of ADSL2+. It doesn't matter how quick you get to the modem, the WAN or speedtest result is controlled by the Internet service you are subscribing to. I don't think upgrading your adapter would improve matters. Looks fine to me.

Haha, this is supposedly NBN 50, this opens another can of worms, as Telstra is having issues starting my account, but from what i recall of my bundle deal it was nbn50  HFC. Now since i moved in both the downstream and upstream lights have been flashing on the NBN box, which from what i can find means  there's no connection to the NBN network. 

Regarding the adaptor, this is slightly more complex and the reason i am saying this is because i've done so much trouble shooting i can't put down to anything else. But essentially Spotify either won't let me log in as it believes firewall is blocking it (already made a rule) or Spotify won't recognise i am online/connected to the internet. 

Additionally Steam + Origin game service doesn't recognise I am connected to the internet, with firewall rules for inbound and outbound. 

Plus to add i cannot download anything via uTorrent or any other Torrent client - for this i have a reddit post including everything i've tried to no avail:- 
https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/hs7c0q/problems_with_downloading_through_utorrent_wont...

None of this occurred with my old wificard, which was a D-link single antenna pci card from the early 2000's. So that's where I am at. Internet, but for browsing and email, nothing else.

Looks like you are on 4G backup at the moment. On 4G backup maximum download speed is 25 Mbps down and about 3 Mbps up. It not your WiFi card causing the slow speed but the modem being on backup.

With 4G backup the modem is set to only have a IPv6 address on the WAN. This could be causing your other problems. The PDP Type can be change to IPv4v6 instead of the default IPv6 (Go to Advanced > Internet > LTE). This might fix problems with  bit torrent and the other sites.

Sorry about my misconception - I must have confused myself somehow about your service. When I originally read the link in the TP Link forum, I thought it mentioned an ADSL service, but that may have been another post, and made an incorrect assumption you were on ADSL. If you are subscribed to the NBN 50 plan on HFC, I would expect you to eventually have around 46/18 Mbps, so hopefully that won't be far away. 

@cf4 wrote:

Looks like you are on 4G backup at the moment. On 4G backup maximum download speed is 25 Mbps down and about 3 Mbps up. It not your WiFi card causing the slow speed but the modem being on backup.

With 4G backup the modem is set to only have a IPv6 address on the WAN. This could be causing your other problems. The PDP Type can be change to IPv4v6 instead of the default IPv6 (Go to Advanced > Internet > LTE). This might fix problems with  bit torrent and the other sites.

Ugh can't believe i didnt see this. I was noticing the lack of IPv4 addresses in ipconfig /all commands. Thank you. This was the case, Telstra's managed to  get my nbn service activated so now its all resolved. 

No problems, it technically was on ADSL speeds at that time so understandable. Thanks for your contributions. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit