fweddy_oldman
Level 1: Cadet

streaming and buffering problems on nbn

we changed over from optus because their service was pitiful, we went with telstra cable, we were getting constant 89 - 93mbs, When we changed to nbn the speed went through the floor. A pitiful 43 mbs maximum. Plus the streaming capability was pathetic, Constant buffering and video stopping ( not on youtube ). PLUS when my son starts his xbox my internet virtually slows to dial up or stops constantly. Plus the nbn drops out completely and your site says no problems>??? ( well duhhh i am not stupid ) How can they say that nbn is better when this is constantly happening and to get back the speed that i had i have to pay more?????. ( money making )Faster pack more $$$. That isn't fair at all. Optus's basic speed is faster than telstra. Plus i have tried restarting the modem & router ( with no difference at all ) numerous times. It is not he pc that is the problem because i have had it tested at a neighbours house and it runs ALOT quicker. This to me seems to be a case of poor nbn speed along with inadequate hardware. Any wonder australia is down the bottom of he speed list with ordinary internet like this. get your act together telstra and help users instead of this pathetic service.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Re: streaming and buffering problems on nbn

Hi - do you have an active service fault registered with Telstra with 132200 or Chat? There is a lot going on here that would suggest a NBN network or cabling terminations issue that may be resolved by having an NBN technician visit. Telstra should also be able to remotely access you modem to see what is happening and if warranted, replace the modem.

Recent posts on the Technicolor Model Gen 2 modem indicated Modem Restarts occur when an Apple iPhone 11 with recent software was connected to the 5Ghz Wi-Fi. I understand that issue has been resolved with new version Technicolor firmware 18.1c-0443-950RB. The Arcadyan Model is currently at version 0.09.11r. These updates are controlled by Telstra to occur automatically. 

If your set up only broadcasts on Wi-Fi SSID, you could try to Disable Band Steering in the 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi Page and SAVE. Your Wi-Fi connected devices can then link to their respective SSID. I found that this provided a more robust connection in my network. I have also had issues with a five year old SONY Blueray constantly freezing one streaming App, SBS On Demand only, You-Tube, Netflix and ABC iView OK,  and have come to the conclusion that it is the SONY that is the problem - SBS and Sony have ceased releasing updates for this product; I now watch the SBS App via the iPad mirrored to a SONY TV connected via an Apple TV3. 

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

What is the model and firmware number of your modem? On the Gen 2 modems this information is displayed on the LHS of the modem’s login screen. Some of the modems withe early firmware had problems with certain versions of there firmware.

I suggest you download and install ping plotter on your PC and run a test. This will give an graphical indication of any problems and were the problem is occurring.

fweddy_oldman

All they did was re[place the white modem with the nbn modem and did something on the side of the house and nothing else. the router i have is a 3 port ( 1 WAN, 2 ethernet ) and it cannot even handle 1 pc with 1 xbox online, ( pretty pathetic ). Optus had all in 1 that could handle it better but their service was pitiful.

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

You could cut your losses and go to Telstra owned and operated 4GX Broadband.

You won't have any of the problems your describe.

It does get expensive over 100GB per month though, but I think it will change.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
fweddy_oldman

Found the problem. The modem is an old version that doesn't handle nbn properly. They are sending out an updated one and let's see if this fixes it. The guy on the phone was very polite and eventually found the problem, ( which they usually don't do ), So well done t this tech he didi a great job. Thanks for your suggestions and help also.

Mkrtich

That's good news. Thanks for your feedback.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit