Level 1: Cadet

Sudden speed drop on Cable 3.0 w/Super Fast Speed Boost

I live at the end of a two-storey, eight-apartment row (four up, four down), and as far as I know, am the only person who has Cable Broadband in my building. I've got Telstra Cable 3.0 w/Super Fast Speed Boost, and the Cable Max Gateway modem (about 15 months old). Device-wise, I've also got a laptop and smartphone, both with AC Wi-Fi capability. I also have Foxtel Cable (as does my neighbour in the apartment below), which eminates from the same two-holed wall socket in my apartment, but does not interfere at all with my Internet (pretty sure they're not "linked" as such, on the same cabling). Since getting the Max Gateway and adding Speed Boost, I've routinely experienced download speeds of 111-118Mbps via Wi-Fi (my primary access method) or Ethernet cable, any time of the day or night, with no drops in speed or outages whatsoever. 

However, this past Saturday, I noticed my service was going extremely slow. I did a speed test (http://www.speedtest.net/) a number of times during that day and on Sunday, and was routinely getting download speeds of 3-8Mbps at different times of the day and night. Oddly, the ping and upload speeds remained pretty consistent with what I usually get (8-9ms ping, 2.2-2.5Mbps upload), however since the upload speeds have dropped to below 1Mbps.

I spoke with Tech Support via LiveChat and phone a number of times, and went through basic troubleshooting tips (power cycling the modem, connecting via Ethernet cable, changing ends with the coaxial cable), with no improvement. They confirmed there were no stated outages or issues in my area, and Billing confimed no issues at account level (barring, shaping, etc.), I have not opted in to Telstra Air, I don't have any new devices, software, apps or programs that would be sucking up my bandwidth, and nobody else is using my connection and data but me. Tech Support arranged a technician to come out on Monday, and he attended and left a calling card (I was at work), mentioning that there were no issues from exchange to my home.

The issue persisted when I got home, but finally, very late last night (around 1am), I experienced speeds of 30-40Mbps, and then finally in the usual 110-115Mbps range, However, again this evening, the speeds are slow.

The speed changes would indicate to me a "peak time" congestion issue, but unless suddenly a large number of people in my immediate area have all decided to connect Cable Broadband with Telstra on Friday (unlikely, given the physical logistics of installing Cable in my building and others nearby, as well as the demographics, etc.), and are consistently using it all the time during peak times, it doesn't quite make sense. Either that, or the speed is being suddenly throttled during expected peak times (again, unlikely).

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Sudden speed drop on Cable 3.0 w/Super Fast Speed Boost

Hey 33_88,

That's definitely a peculiar fault. Usually congestion is gradual, not instant like it has happened on your end. It can happen, but usually it's a much slower process. If you were to try the service before work (eg 7am) do you get the standard 100mbps again? At night, does a reboot of the modem make any improvement, even temporarily?

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Reboot of the modem doesn't seem to affect the speed, unfortunately.

You would expect onset of congestion to be more gradual, and for the speeds to fluctuate and be inconsistent (as people are using the service to different levels at different times)

Tonight, speed has ranged from 13Mbps at around 6:30pm, to 3-4Mbps from 7:30-9:30pm, to around 10Mbps at 10:30pm, then around 60Mbps around midnight, and then this around 1:50am:

Speedtest

Really just seems like classic peak congestion based on that. But...

One thing I did notice when speed testing, is that my WAN IP sources the connection from a location 2.1km away, while there is another WAN IP available just 25m from my home. Is it possible that my WAN IP is somehow consistently "switched" to the farther source (I know it can reset when you re-start the modem), or that my service has somehow been "re-routed" (if that makes sense), due to network and infrastructure upgrades and changes? Is there a way that I can permanently request a particular WAN IP? Would requesting a Static IP possibly work?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi 33_88 

To ensure that we get you the best advice possible, I am flagging your post with our Social Media Tech Team, who will be contacting you during the day, to assist in getting the answers you need.
Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Guys, was this ever resolved because I am experiencing pretty much the same symptoms

Andy

Seems to have resolved itself over time.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit