misskate2014
Level 1: Cadet

Super slow ADSL+2

We recently upgraded our modem and from ADSL to ADSL+2, which is hard to believe as we have gone completely backwards in internet speed. Even to download something as small as a song, takes forever! I followed the prompts and dont the speed test and this is what it said. Ping 36, Download Speed 0.99, Upload speed 0.32. (not that i know alot about each numbers, i did read telstras "ADSL should range from Downloads 8Mbp - 20Mps. So if that was correct, i am way below.

We have 2 computers plugged in and one laptop on the wireless. The modem is in the same room as two computers and we have tried turning off the laptop to see if somehow it made a differece but nothing.

May be a simple fix, (although not from what i have read) so appreciate any suggestions.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Super slow ADSL+2

What was your speed with your old modem? 

Did you change your ADSL filter/splitter?  If your filter/splitter was the same age as the modem I would suggest it is time to replace it with an ADSL2+ filter splitter.

Is your connection still ADSL, or ADSL2+?  Go in to settings and look for the connection stats.  You shoul see a line that says 992.5 then you have an ADSL2+ connection. If it says 992.1 or G.DMT then it is an ADSL connection (meaning that the equipment in the exchange you are connected to is only capable of an ADSL connection).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
misskate2014

Hi,

So if i am in the correct place, it is saying we only have ADSL, but when i have spoken to multiple telstra people they have told me it has been upgraded to ADSL+2. It says on my Telstra background app FAST- ADSL. So now im confused.

We did however change all cords and cables to the new ones. Just to make all new and fresh. I am unsure of what the speed was before but it definitely wasnt this slow! This is painful and keeps freezing. I have also tried downloading the telstra background app which says everything is fine.

And now for the most embarrassing part. I tried to find the settings you were talking about but i cant for the life of me. Where abouts do i find it?

misskate2014

Just thought i would add that i finally got in contact with Telstra and they informed me that yes my internet speed is very slow and that it is due to a fault on their end being congestion. He then informed me it could take months and months and months to fix and i just have to wait and be happy that telstra is working on it.

Bit unfair that i am paying for a product that i am not receiving but first step is covered and that is not a fault on my end.

Thank you for the suggestions.

DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey misskate2014,

I am sorry for the issues that you have experienced with the slow connection speeds and am glad that you have at the very least been advised of the reason for these. I am sorry that congestion has been mentioned as the cause and wish that I was able to expedite any upgrades, but they do take time to be completed. Is it all times that your connection has slow speeds or only in peak times?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit