Level 2: Rookie

Switch to NBN and internet not working

Hi all,

I dont know what to do anymore. I have contacted the ombudsmen, i'm getting no help from Telstra except a fault tracker that isnt working. The 4g backup isnt working on the modem (this is my second modem now).
I can stream videos and music, however, i can't upload at all, cant view or load emails and can't connect to a VPN (crucial for my full time work at home). Why isnt telstra helping me? Will cancelling my service with them and switching to another provider help? Has anyone does this and seen improvements? I've checked with NBN and they say there are no faults. I've had promises of a technician come out but none have because they are "working remotely on the issue". I havent even been told of what the issue is.
Has anyone else been in this situation where they are literally helpless? If so, what have you done? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Switch to NBN and internet not working

You say the 4G backup isn't working? Is that the case with the NBN connection (WAN or DSL) completely disconnected from the modem and waiting several minutes? and/or with all devices disconnected - Wi-Fi and LAN cables?

What indicators are showing on the Telstra Smart Modem front and rear and also on the NBN box if there is one?

Your description seems a little odd, in that you say you can stream music and videos. have you carried out any speed tests..  https://www.speedtest.net/

Can you advise what model of Smart Modem you have (label on the bottom), it might  just be settings..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Level 24: Supreme Being

The problem could be due to modem only having an IPv6 address on the WAN when in 4G backup mode. The PDP Type can be changed from IPv6 to IPv4v6 in modem's LTE settings so that modem requests both an IPv4 and a IPv6 six. See section 25 of document linked in this post for how to change settings in Arcadyan modem. There is a link at bottom of first page for the Technicolor version of the document.

This is the case when its connected. The mobile mode light isnt on and the mobile signal is yellow. All other lights are green, on both the NBN modem and the Wifi Modem.

That looks quite normal, the Mobile light is off, because the modem isn't in 4G mode..  to get it into that mode you need to disconnect the NBN service and wait several minutes for it to detect the break and switch to 4G.

What you are describing is how it should be - the orange mobile signal light is just showing you have medium reception - Green is Excellent, Orange is OK, Red is poor, just like the bars on your mobile phone.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

hey cf4, I am not sure he has a 4G problem, or is having trouble in 4G mode. I don't think the modem is going into backup mode from his further description  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52

The colour of the lights on the modem are normal. The colour of the wireless signal indicates the strength of the signal. A yellow colour indicates a good signal.

Does this problem occurr on all devices or only one?

Have you tried connecting a PC directly to the NBN NTD.

thank you, i've since removed the NBN connection so that the 4G kicks in, so now i can use that. Seems to be okay so far.
When you say "the NBN might have the wrong codes on your connection and configured it as a voicd only service", is this something telstra should be able to fix? I'm just getting nowhere with them and theyve stopped responding to me basically.

thank you so much, i'm going to try this and will let you know if it works Smiley Happy

@SteveW_52 wrote:

Can you advise what model of Smart Modem you have (label on the bottom), it might  just be settings..

Sorry, just realised i didnt respond to this part of your question. I have the smart modem gen 2 with voice backup. do you think it could be something to do with my IP address?

Its so bizarre that i can still stream videos but not upload anything at all or receive emails

There are two models of Smart Modem Gen 2 ..  check the label on the bottom to see which one you have..

It is odd..  could your IP have been blacklisted by your organisation?  Have you talked to whoever manages the VPN service?

Have you tried picking up emails without using the VPN, just as a test? and when the modem is in 4G mode (disconnect the WAN/DSL connection from the modem and let it switch (if you do this, see cf4's comment about changing the PDp setting to ipV4/V6)

Stevo 52

@joconnor wrote:

thank you, i've since removed the NBN connection so that the 4G kicks in, so now i can use that. Seems to be okay so far.
When you say "the NBN might have the wrong codes on your connection and configured it as a voicd only service", is this something telstra should be able to fix? I'm just getting nowhere with them and theyve stopped responding to me basically.

I miss read your first post and assumed the NBN link didn't work at all and the low speed and certain sites not working were when you were on 4G backup. If the download speed is Okay then the service has the correct codes and has been not been set up as a voice only service. The low upload speed is more likely to be a fault with NBN link and will require a NBN technician visit to fix. A Telstra technician will only be able to confirm there is a fault and will not be able to fix the fault. If you still have a low upload speed with the pc connected directly to NBN NTD  then it is either a cable fault or the NBN NTD.

Unfortunately you can't contact NBN direct and have to go through Telstra to request a NBN technician.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit