Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Switching from Cable to NBN

Hi all,

Looking for some help to understand my options while transferring my home internet service from a Cable service on the HFC network to the NBN plans (also on the HFC network). 

Right now i'm paying $79.00/month for my home phone and internet, i'm enjoying 100Mbps+ download speeds on my current service with unlimited download - this is ultimately all I care about from my internet service. 

For some reason, for me to switch to an NBN plan with the same service I need to pay $110/month. I don't see why it's reasonable for the same service to be provided at a $30 increase/month, and I'm not being given a choice to maintain my current service (I get everyone is in the same position here and it's the price of progress, but I dont see why Telstra should profiteer over consumer's lack of choice).

Appreciate any guidance on how I can get an offer that suits my needs, or if there's some information I'm not understanding about the pricing plans.

Thanks

Chris

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Switching from Cable to NBN

With NBN you have a choice of RSPs so if your not in contract you could transfer to another provider.

Because Telstra owned the cable network it was cheaper for them to provide the Service. With NBN Telstra has to pay NBN Co for the use of the infrastructure and the fee NBN Co charges depends on speed and the amount of data used. Some RSPs have cheaper over head and can provide unlimited data at same speed for a cheaper price.

Highlighted

I agree that there are other RSP's, but "Don't like it, go somewhere else" is not really the approach I'm looking for here.

With regard to the network - Are they not the same cables?

My Cable connection says it's on the HFC network. 

When choosing a new NBN connection it also says on the HFC network. 

Even if the NBN now owns the cables in my street and telstra needs to rent them, they should be renting them now, and providing that service to me at the same price. 

Either way - the service to me as an end user is the same, why should I pay more for the same thing - the cost of providing the service is not my problem. 

Highlighted

I don't know the exactly how it works but when you transfer to NBN the fee Telstra pays NBN Co is not the same.

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

NBN Co sets the access charges for the network and are based on speed and capacity (not delivery mode). NBN Co charges Telstra and Telstra passes the costs on. If they didn't then they would lose money.

If you look at the prices with other suppliers, if you do them on a like-like basis (ie with phone & included calls), there is very little difference between any of the RSPs.

If you have a problem with the pricing model, you will need to take it up with NBN Co and your Federal MP.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Again, not really my problem.

I am buying a service from Telstra - how they provide it is up to them.

I am being forced off my current service to a new one with the same service level, but the price has increased 38% - this is not reasonable. 

Highlighted

Its not Telstra it is the government forcing you over too NBN. Before NBN started its rollout most Telstra customers on cable had a maximum download speed of 30 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. To get 100 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up Telstra cable customers had to pay for a speed boost.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit