CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Technicolor TG797n v3 slow wifi speed

Answered

We are seeing some terrible speeds when connected via WiFi (1-3 devices connected to the router via a wifi connection) over the Telstra Technicolor TG797n v3 router.

The speeds are much improved when connected via a wired connection.

Signal strength is excellent (-30dbm) and no other wireless devices are transmitting on the same channel.

When I hard reset the router, speed improves significantly for a few hours, then goes back to sub 100KB/sec

Any ideas??

WIFI settings are as follows:

WLAN Enable: Yes Interface Enabled: Yes Power Reduction Enabled: No Physical Address: 9c:97:26:4b:xx:xx Network Name (SSID): Telstra4BXXXX Interface Type: 802.11b/g/n Actual Speed [Mbps]: 130 Band: 2.4GHz Security WPS Enabled: No Allow New Devices: New stations are allowed (automatically) Security Mode: WPA-PSK

1.jpg

Wireless Connection

2.png

3.png

Wired Conneciton Speed

4.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Technicolor TG797n v3 slow wifi speed

Ben thanks for trying to help but as per my first attachement there are no other networks transmitting on ch3. where as on ch 6 and 11 there are 5 or 6 other networks, so not sure why you would recommend this as a solution?

I figured out what problem was, the modem keeps entering eco mode (blue light) so looks like a hardware problem. I have got the replacement from Telstra and my WiFI speeds are back to normal.

This has to be the worst modem I have ever had to configure. Interface is slow and clunky. The firmware has been locked to just the bare minimum functionality (there is no way to save and restore config for example)  A simple thing like chaning the modem IP address is 100x times harder than it needs to be. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi sandc, 

There are a few more things you can try.  It looks like your modem is broadcasting on channel 3, try changing your channel to 1, 6 and 11 and test the speed on each of those channels to see which one is better.  

If you haven't already, have a read of the WiFi Troubleshooting article I've linked to.  It outline further troubleshooting and some causes of interference to Wi-Fi broadcasts that may cause slow speeds.  We also have an app you can load onto your mobile to create a Wi-Fi 'heat' map and see where the signal drops off in the house.  Telstra Wi-Fi Mazimiser™ App

Hope this helps.

- Ben D

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Ben thanks for trying to help but as per my first attachement there are no other networks transmitting on ch3. where as on ch 6 and 11 there are 5 or 6 other networks, so not sure why you would recommend this as a solution?

I figured out what problem was, the modem keeps entering eco mode (blue light) so looks like a hardware problem. I have got the replacement from Telstra and my WiFI speeds are back to normal.

This has to be the worst modem I have ever had to configure. Interface is slow and clunky. The firmware has been locked to just the bare minimum functionality (there is no way to save and restore config for example)  A simple thing like chaning the modem IP address is 100x times harder than it needs to be. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I wish I'd read this forum before buying my TG797n v3.

The ECO problem doesn't seem to apply in my case.  Wi-Fi performance is wildly erratic.  I've been using speedtest.net and sometimes I get >18Mbps download and sometimes the page won't load, sometimes the test test times out and sometimes I get <2Mbps download.  In my 41 years of using computer telecommunications I have never come across a modem so ill-suited to modulating and demodulating data!

I have an Ethernet "tripwire" that I can run up the corridor between the PC and the TG797n v3, but that is not the point.

It looks like I will have to go through the hassle of having the modem replaced by something that functions as described on the box.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jajenki,

Did you take a look at the links provided in Ben Ds response?

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Youre all very luck to get 18mbps. since moving I have had erratic speeds from a max of 10mbps to 0.7mbps.  for the last 2 months I havent had better than 1.7mbps. I have worse speeds now with a TG797 than I did with the previous version that died. Even a complaint to the obudsman and 3 technicians visits still cant get me a decent speed. I'd love to knwo what other settings I can change to improve my modems speed and perhaps even get back to running a wilresess router and backing up data. 

Highlighted

I have haad a similar problem with erratic wifi speeds. Recently if I connect tothe ethernet ports the wifi speed drops to less then 1kbps. I have to do a hard reset and not connect anything to the ports for the speed to renew back to 5Mbps. Which is still less than the 100Mbps I am paying for.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi smiff64, 

Have you contacted Tech Support to report this issue so that this can be investigated further?

- Shelly

Highlighted

Hi all,

I'm having exactly the same problems.  Wildly erratic performance on the modem.  I'm on the premium plan from Telstra, and so should be getting >10Mbps, but am only getting at best 1Mbps, and at worst 0.1Mbps.

This is quite possibly the worst modem I have ever owned in terms of flakiness.  I'm getting 20Mbps direct at the fibre.

I've changed the channels from 1 to 6 to 11 as recommeded by Telstra.  Typically I see a spike in performance improvement for an hour or so, before it degrades to unusable again.

I'm going to buy a new configurable modem tomorrow, rather than live with this unusable rubbish.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit