lionreader
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Tell me how to get a HUMAN BEING from Telstra to talk to me about my nbn issues

Answered

I have been facing DROP-OUT issues on my NBN wi-fi network from Telstra since last week and on Monday the problem became very acute. I tried calling the 132200 number and went through a range of their nonsensical voice activated options to get support and in the end got the call disconnected automatically with their stupid excuse about staff issues due to Covid-19 !! REALLY? It is almost 1 year since Covid-19 and most businesses have moved on to being able to provide customer support to their customers over the phone from their homes. And Telstra, the "premier technology company in Australia" is hiding behind the pathetic excuse of Covid19.

Next I try the "My Telstra app" in my phone to get some help - go thru the CODI virtual assistant and the Troubleshooting Tool and finally find an agent willing to message with me. After 2.5 hours of fluffing around with my network asking me to power off / power on, detach and reattach the cable from the wall etc. etc. (and with intermittent silences of upto 30 minutes during this time), the agent agrees to send an NBN tech to my home to fix the issue the day after. PHEW !!! I think i can get the problem solved.

Meanwhile I have to use my mobile hotspot to connect to my workplace and do my day job. 

The next day I get an SMS from telstra stating " the nbn co have completed further testing and no longer need you to be home on .... to fix you service issue...." with a link to the faulttracker ; and another sms within 2 hours saying "nbn service is now fixed; your ticket will be resolved".

So i switch back from my mobile hotspot to the home wi-fi only to find that the dropouts are still happening.

On to the stupid telstra app again - after another 15 minutes of waiting, a new agent comes on the chat and wants to do the troubleshooting all over again !!! I tell him that the problem is not fixed and you have to arrange for the tech to come home - he doesn't listen/read that.

He tells me that our whole service is affected and he will do some troubleshooting etc. ... this was on tuesday 10th november at 6:45 pm ; after waiting for one hour, i send a msg asking if there are any updates and i get an INFO saying " Thanks for waiting, we 've got your message. We're currently experiencing some delays ....no need to stay waiting...conversation won't close if you step away just keep this window open." This was at 8 pm last night. I kept checking the msg window until 11 pm last night and then gave up.

This morning the whole chat window has disappeared!! and there is no record or no INC number for the conversation i had with telstra yesterday. 

(I had taken a snapshot of my chat and stored it in the Notes app on my phone bcos I have had lots of issues with chats disappearing in the past)

Everyone these days has to work from home and the wi-fi has become an important ingredient for us to do our day job and earn a living. It is impossible and impractical to expect that we can use mobile hotspot for 8 hours a day every day.

If anyone from Telstra is reading this, can you please tell me HOW I CAN GET PROPER genuine help? 

If it was not for the landline that i require, i would quit Telstra and nbn completely and forget about using home wifi at all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Tell me how to get a HUMAN BEING from Telstra to talk to me about my nbn issues

Unfortunately the My Telstra app is the only support channel that is working (and pretty much has been since the Covid lockdowns started 8 months ago). Telstra is moving their support onshore, but that process won't be complete until 2022.

The real problem is that NBN Co closed out your support ticket without properly investigating (which they do all too regularly). You can lodge a complaint about NBN Co's handling of the fault with the Ombudsman (tio.com.au).

As far as getting your problem fixed, you are going to have to hop back on the app and tell Telstra that the "fix" that NBN Co did has not worked and that you need an NBN Co technician's visit rebooked.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Re: Tell me how to get a HUMAN BEING from Telstra to talk to me about my nbn issues

Unfortunately the My Telstra app is the only support channel that is working (and pretty much has been since the Covid lockdowns started 8 months ago). Telstra is moving their support onshore, but that process won't be complete until 2022.

The real problem is that NBN Co closed out your support ticket without properly investigating (which they do all too regularly). You can lodge a complaint about NBN Co's handling of the fault with the Ombudsman (tio.com.au).

As far as getting your problem fixed, you are going to have to hop back on the app and tell Telstra that the "fix" that NBN Co did has not worked and that you need an NBN Co technician's visit rebooked.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

lionreader
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Thanks for the reply Jupiter. I guessed that would be the only way. But my frustration is that i told the telstra technician yesterday that he needs to escalate back to NBN immediately - which he did not do; instead chose to "troubleshoot" himself and then disappeared altogether.

And yes I intend to complain to the TIO about both Telstra and NBN.

thanks again for your prompt response.

Jupiter

The Telstra consultants have to run through the troubleshooter otherwise NBN Co won't even accept the works request.

Lian123
Level 2: Rookie

I have had an almost identical experience to you - same issue (NBN dropouts) and same experiences with Telstra support (constant fobbing off and no ability to get a human being to help).  Their support is truely terrible.   As soon as my contract is up I will be changing providers - I am ready to throw the NBN box in the bin!

bodermatt

I did try now for hours to talk to a human being about a bill and a service which I no longer need. I am getting sent from pillar to post with no ability to talk to a human. I think I may have to contact the Telecommunication Ombudsman as it looks as I may have been misled by Telstra.

AngryTelstra
Level 1: Cadet

I had gone through this type of trouble too. I have cancelled my mobile number today, If Telstra think they can get away with these nonsense, cancelling the NBN service and selling Telstra shares will be my next move. 

Tory89

How did you go?

fedupusr

I am happy to find your post. I am in same boat for the last 3 months. NBN HFC connection drops after lunch and dinner... and then randomly, when you are in meetings. I despise "My Telstra app". pretty useless, nice to get good greetings and feel good messages, like "we are going to fix this issue ASAP", but of no other significant use.

Duckss2211

I am so sick of companies using covid as an excuse for poor customer service. Telstra are not experiencing extended wait times because of the global pandemic, they are experiencing extended wait times because of poor staffing level and general lack of care for their customers. You know, the ones owns who pay the company money?

I got a little program called Net Uptime Monitor, and in 1 hour I had the following failure log.

26/11/2020 6:35:16 PM Log Start
---------------------------------------
Failure Start Length
26/11/2020 6:37:58 PM 0:00:19
26/11/2020 6:44:33 PM 0:00:07
26/11/2020 6:47:17 PM 0:00:06
26/11/2020 6:50:08 PM 0:00:21
26/11/2020 6:51:52 PM 0:00:08
26/11/2020 6:55:15 PM 0:00:17
26/11/2020 6:55:53 PM 0:00:17
26/11/2020 7:01:51 PM 0:00:07
26/11/2020 7:03:50 PM 0:00:06
26/11/2020 7:14:01 PM 0:00:14
26/11/2020 7:15:30 PM 0:00:28
26/11/2020 7:16:14 PM 0:00:19
26/11/2020 7:17:29 PM 0:00:12
26/11/2020 7:21:01 PM 0:00:08
26/11/2020 7:25:25 PM 0:00:13
---------------------------------------
26/11/2020 7:35:17 PM Log End
Monitor Duration 1:00:00
Failure Summary:
Count 15
Total Downtime 0:03:28
% Downtime 5.80
Minimum Length 0:00:06
Maximum Length 0:00:28
Average Length 0:00:13
=====================================

My son ran the scan on his PC and the fail times and durations he recorded matched perfectly.

Do you think I could get anyone to respond to any enquiry I put to their bullsh!t "My Telstra App"?

No.... It sat there for 2 hours without anyone responding to even acknowledge that my issue was being looked at. 

Can't ring them and their app is useless. 

I dare one of their techs to respond and actually help one of their clients.....

Jupiter

It can take a lot longer than 2 hours to get a response. You will receive a notification through the app when someone responds. You won't get a Telstra tech to respond in this forum as they are not here.

As far as the Net Uptime Monitor results go. It doesn't really tell us much other than you are getting a lot of dropouts. Doesn't actually give us any useful information though.

What type of NBN connection are you on?

Which model modem so you have (DJA0231/LH1000)?

What colour are the lights on the modem, and do they change when the connection drops out?

Can you post the connection stats from the modem?

Have you run the troubleshooter at https://fix.telstra.com ? You can run this from your mobile as it runs some tests from the Telstra end on your service.

Fred888
Level 3: Gumshoe

Totally agree with your comments on "My Telstra app"

Fred888
Level 3: Gumshoe

Cannot agree more.  I had exactly the same experience, with the problem sorted out only this morning, more than 2 weeks after NBN connection problem first reported to TelstrA via 133933.

DenisBri

I am another customer with very a similar circumstance.  I actually has on phone hold for over 7 hours and still I did not wait long enough to speak to a human.  And I have a screenshot to prove it!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit