AussieKeith
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra 5G Home Internet

I keep getting the emails offing 5G home internet at $85 per month for 1TB of permissible download. I am very interested to get rid of my unstable/unreliable NBN plan that I am on. However when I get to the final 5G processing screen to accept the new modem it is reduced to 500 mg per month ?.

What's going on, it appears a bit of false advertising here from Telstra to suck in people that do not notice this change in allowable download limits - It is clearly advertised on multiple Telstra web pages as 1TB.

Disappointed and suspicions

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telstra 5G Home Internet

Could you provide a link to the pages you referred to?.

AussieKeith

Hi Dowser,
Firstly in the email being sent to me - Cut and pasted as shown below and secondly on the Telstra internet page linking the offer (section 2) https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/5g-broadband-plans

thanks

AussieKeith

Think fast, our 5G offer is waiting.
Try our 5G Home Internet Plan, with your first month on us.
Keith, you can still be among the first to experience a new way to connect your home with our powerful 5G network.
This is your chance to try our 5G Home Internet Plan, with your first month on us, then just pay $85/mth after that. You'll also get 1TB of monthly data to enjoy.
With limited availability in your area, sign up to your 5G plan today.
Dowser

It is probably just the case that the page that you mentioned has not been updated.

The clearly states 1TB, so you have it in writing.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

The Telstra 5G Home Internet service only just got increased to 1TB per month, so some of Telstra's pages may be out of date.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
AussieKeith

Hi Dowser,

When you get to the contract webpage - the offer is changed to 500gb. So this is what you actually agree and sign up for.

This is my point, they are advertising and encouraging the offer with 1TB of download but the final contract says 500gb which leaves you open to throttle back.

Here is the webpage

https://checkout.telstra.com.au/consumer/wireline/auth/new/20_fixed_5G_nbn?salesChannel=FW_5G&intent... 

I have just phoned Telstra and got a level 3 guy who I think is based in the Philippines and he confirmed it is 500gb but could offer no help or advice on this other than he thinks the 1TB is a future offer.

So should you trust the Critical Information Summary  and Telstra webpages or the final contract you sign

AussieKeith

Jupiter

Nobody other than you can check the webpage that you provided the link for (you need to be logged in as progressed through the signup process).

The Critical Information Summary is the actual terms that you are signing up for.

The doubling of data was also announced at Bringing our 5G Home Internet to more Aussies in 2021 (telstra.com.au)

The one thing to check would be do you get good 5G reception inside your house? You can also check where the nearest 5G transmitters are via rfnsa.com.au 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
AussieKeith

Hi Jupiter,

Duh - Off course my personal link will not work for everyone to view, my silly mistake.

After reviewing some of the links provided by yourself and Dowser I decided to proceed with the order as It is a one month free trial with no obligation - So no risk of being locked into a bad contract.

I am happy to report back - after processing the online Order I received a email confirming the order and it clearly stated that I will be getting the 1TB per month allowance (speed capped to 25Mbps if 1TB is exceeded).

According to Aussie Post, I am expecting the 5G modem to be delivered by the end of this week.  

Many thanks 

AussieKeith

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit