QuadXTC
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra 5G modem and bridge mode

I finally got my Telstra 5G home modem delivered and I'm trying to set it up. I have a home automation system at my home set up, I have a physical disability (quadriplegic) which restricts my ability to use my arms. So I have everything set up (lights, windows, blinds, etc) that I control with my voice (Google home talks to my automation setup). The company that set up my home automation system use a router and switch for the configuration, with my current Optus cable internet plugged directly into the router they use (Ubuquiti EdgeRoouter). It all works perfectly What they're telling me now is that the Telstra 5G modem I received doesn't allow bridge mode, so basically, the only way to configure it to work together is to have a double 'NAT' situation. The Telstra 5G modem however doesn't seem like that, because every hour or so it somehow resets all the configurations – it appears that this is being done remotely by Telstra. So my question is, can the Telstra 5G home modem be put into bridge mode? If not, am I able to buy another 5G modem that does allow bridge mode and simply insert the Telstra Sim into that? Hoppy if you have modem suggestions! Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telstra 5G modem and bridge mode

Hi, which model modem did they send you?.

For your reference, Telstra do have a dedicated 5G Home support team on 1800 258 503 (8am – 8pm, 7 days a week).

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

There are probably 5G modems that you could insert the SIM into that can be bridged but I don't think this will solve your problem.

The 5G network has carrier grade NAT. This causes the same problems as double NAT that results when an unbridged modem is used. Due to this the 5G network does not support servers. This is mention in the details about the 5G home internet service.

I suspect your home automation service has a server and the problems are due to  CGNAT and not due to the modem not being in Bridge mode.

QuadXTC

The sent this model.

cf4

Thats the standard 5G home modem and it can't Bridge and when on 5G does not support DMZ or port forwarding.

QuadXTC

So can I just ask the question...

Do Telstra allow me to use the sim in the modem they sent me in another off-the-shelf 5G modem that does support Bridge mode?

Or does Telstra not allow this?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit