Gamgees
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Telstra and Netflix - Speed Index Position

Recently, Netflix Australia released some results around speed tests conducted on Australian ISP networks. This snapshot is a measure of prime time performance for Netflix on each particular ISP. 

These results do show that we are delivering a more than reasonable video experience during these peak viewing times, providing over 2Mbps on average across a vast and extensive network area. The factors that can influence this national average include the larger size of the Telstra network over a wider ADSL footprint and customer base. This means that we do service a greater number of customers who are further away from exchanges. 

Most importantly, our customers are telling us how we are performing and so far they are telling us that they are able to enjoy the full range of services that we run over our networks, including streaming video. 

Are the Netflix results indicative of the general streaming experience your customers can expect?

The Netflix results provide an averaged snapshot of the streaming speeds achieved by customers right across our network footprint on their content during their busiest streaming periods.

There are many factors which affect performance including network configuration, the number of people using a connection and a customer’s equipment and software. It is important to note that the speeds indicated (>2Mbps) are more than sufficient for acceptable viewing experiences on large screen televisions.

We know that our network is more than capable of offering most customers a great streaming experience. For instance, our HFC cable broadband product is rated “HD” quality by the Google Video Index.

Are you throttling Netflix?

No we are not throttling Netflix.

You say you have superior networks, does that mean all Telstra customers will be able to use streaming services and enjoy a great experience?

No. Streaming services rely on the broadband connection and due to the large and diverse coverage of our networks some services will receive very high speeds when running on our Cable, Optical and some ADSL networks that are closer to the exchange, whilst others may be located in more remote areas or more distant from the exchange which limits the available speed to these customers.

For those customers in areas where speeds are limited most video streaming services are able to adjust the video to a lower rate and still deliver an acceptable video experience.

Why don’t you upgrade your networks now so everyone can enjoy streaming?

Whilst we continue to invest in our network some areas are set to transition to NBN and are not suited to changes ahead of that transition. Under NBN the architecture of the network will involve shorter copper lengths which will deliver speeds more suitable for video streaming and other high bandwidth activities.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Telstra and Netflix - Speed Index Position

Why are all the points labelled 1. ?

You also have to take into account that Telstra don't currently have any Netflix OCA devices inside the network (as Optus/iiNet do). Also even the fastest fibre to the premises provider in the US (Verizon FIOS) only gets a Netflix average of about 3.5Mbps with AT&T DSL coming in at around 2.5Mbps.

Another thing to remember is that it's not peak throughput, it's an average across all devices. So if you are watching on certain browsers for example the resolution (and thus bandwidth) is rate limited by Netflix themselves, which would show a lower 'score' for throughput for that customer.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
amfek
Level 4: Private Eye

@Kalak wrote:
Another thing to remember is that it's not peak throughput, it's an average across all devices. So if you are watching on certain browsers for example the resolution (and thus bandwidth) is rate limited by Netflix themselves, which would show a lower 'score' for throughput for that customer.

This is a meaningless cop-out unless Telstra somehow has more users accessing Netflix in this way than other ISPs.

Facts are facts. Telstra touts itself as the best, and it's the most expensive. Yet, once again in June, Telstra has come in dead last. 3 months out of 3 so far. 

Kalak

It's not a copout.

Can you watch Netflix using T-Box? No.
Can you watch Netflix on FetchTV from competitors? Yes.

So the default box that Telstra customers tend to have doesn't support Netflix, so of course they are going to watch it via other means. They are also more likely to be less-savvy customers, meaning they won't use more complex setups to access the content.

In addition to this who do you think is the primary provider in rural and regional areas? Areas that tend to have less backhaul and longer average line lengths to the exchange resulting in slower overall average sync speeds across a customer base? That's right, Telstra.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
amfek

@Kalak wrote:
It's not a copout.

Can you watch Netflix using T-Box? No.
Can you watch Netflix on FetchTV from competitors? Yes.

So the default box that Telstra customers tend to have doesn't support Netflix, so of course they are going to watch it via other means. They are also more likely to be less-savvy customers, meaning they won't use more complex setups to access the content.

If Telstra's box doesn't provide a way to watch Netflix then I'm not sure how that helps your case. "Their speed is bad but it's only because their box is bad too!". Also, "default box that Telstra customers tend to have" seems like a big assumption to me. How many have they actually shipped? Not very many I'm willing to bet. Don't the vast majority of Netflix users watch via desktop computer/tablet/smartphone?

@Kalak wrote:
In addition to this who do you think is the primary provider in rural and regional areas? Areas that tend to have less backhaul and longer average line lengths to the exchange resulting in slower overall average sync speeds across a customer base? That's right, Telstra.

Rural and regional areas where very few people live, you mean? If you are seriously arguing that the small number of people in these areas are moving the needle so much that the purported market leader suddenly, and totally understandably, ends up coming in dead last each month, then there might be no limit to what you can defend. Kudos.

Kalak

When you say not many T-Boxes have been sold. Last September the figure was at over 750,000 boxes. That's not an insignificant number at all. In fact that would represent a large portion of their broadband customer base.

Rural and regional where few people live? What planet are you living on?

I live in Central QLD in a regional area. Our town has over 10,000 people in it. If you ask people who they are with, or just look at the wifi SSIDs around town, you'll see the vast majority are with Telstra. There is no DVD/Video shop. The nearest cinema is between  1 1/2 and 2 hours drive, each way. Most people get their on-demand content via internet here.

I suspect you live in a metro area, with a plethora of provider choice and entertainment options, and as such have little actual knowledge of life in regional and rural areas.

EDIT: Also, I'm not even a Telstra customer. I'm with iiNet because they better suits my needs. Have a look at http://www.iinet.net.au/status/fault.php?id=3921939

3 months of a virtually unusable internet service during evening peak periods. These are the guys who topped out the most recent speed survey. Netflix graphs are not the be-all and end-all in quality of service I can tell you right now.

amfek

Not that Telstra really needs any help highlighting the shortcomings of its broadband network, but I just checked the Netflix speed index and Telstra has been last every single month since its inception. Dead last. Every time.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit