Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Cable internet dropout

Answered

Hi All, 

Can someone please help me. I have Telstra cable Internet. I got it installed in July 2019 it worked fine for 2 months and from the month of october 2019 it is having issues with connectivity. It will drop out atleast 10 times in an hour and at times dropout lasts for about 10 minutes. 
I have had 3 technicians visiting my place but they were not able to resolve the issue. I have replaced the hardware as well and it is still dropping out. I have checked it with wired and wireless connection. My modem details are as below

Connection Settings
Startup Procedure
ProcedureStatusComment
Acquire Downstream Channel438000000 HzLocked
Connectivity StateOKOperational
Boot StateOKOperational
Configuration FileOKcable_u1_tr2_netgear_docsis3
SecurityEnabledBPI+

Downstream Bonded Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDSymbol Rate (sym/sec)Frequency (Hz)Power (dBmV)SNR (dBmV)DOCSIS Locked
LockedQAM25696952000 sym/sec438000000 Hz0.6 dBmV40.3 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256106952000 sym/sec446000000 Hz0.8 dBmV40.4 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256116952000 sym/sec454000000 Hz1.2 dBmV40.8 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256126952000 sym/sec462000000 Hz1.8 dBmV40.9 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256136952000 sym/sec470000000 Hz1.9 dBmV40.9 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256146952000 sym/sec478000000 Hz1.3 dBmV40.8 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256156952000 sym/sec486000000 Hz0.7 dBmV40.3 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256166952000 sym/sec494000000 Hz0.4 dBmV39.9 dBEuroDOCSIS

Upstream Bonded Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDSymbol Rate (Ksym/sec)Frequency (Hz)Power (dBmV)
LockedATDMA295120 Ksym/sec42600000 Hz38.3 dBmV
Not LockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV

Current System Time : Wed Dec 04 07:17:00 2019

Can someone please help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Cable internet dropout

Have Edit this post as I did not see your last post.

The network light goes off because the cable adapter has detected there is no signal from the   Telstra smart modem because it is rebooting.

One method you could try is to connect the iPhone only to the 2.4 GHz WiFi SSID.

The only real fix is modem firmware update. Once the problems have been solved with firmware 18.1c.443.950RA Telstra will start pushing it out again. The firmware version number will probably be changed.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

As NBN now own the ex-Telstra cable, and that NBN will be completed within 12 months....NBN are currently preparing remaining cables  in preparation for the new use. As the efforts already fone have not been successful you need to consider that in the background NBN are most probably working on the cable. Is it worse when raining as many pits have moisture. 

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted

Its bad all the time. Its nice and sunny today and telstra tech just left before 4 hours and there are 140 dropouts since then. I live in Paradise SA 5075.

I would accept that NBN is due to come early next year so may be they are working on the cable but a friend on mine living just couple of streets away has very stable connection.  

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - your statistics indicate a healthy link - https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2504710

I take it you have an outstanding fault still registered with Telstra. 

Do you have an integrated Netgear CG3100-D2 HFC Gateway or a Netgear CM450 Cable Modem connected to a Telstra Gen1 or Gen 2 Modem. 

A person I know had drop out issues for nine months on NBN HFC and had multiple visits, finally the last NBN technician replaced the Arris HFC modem, replaced all coax connectors in home, in external box and in the footpath pit and removed a 90 degree connector which he said should never have been installed and service has been stable since. 

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Your line stats are actually really good. I would say its more of a modem/router issue.

1. Perhaps check the cable that plugs into the modem is on correctly and firmly screwed on, you would be surprised how many times my mates have had issues and that's all it was.

2. Then maybe depending on your set up, e.g. small white cable modem that connects to a larger router, check that cable or if you have a spare swap that LAN cable out.

Sounds like that there is an issue with the hardware. May just be an out of box faulty cable. If all else fails ask for a new modem/router, you may just be unlucky and the devices have given up.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, i simply work in the IT industry and my posts are from experiences.
If you don't want my help simply disregard my post.
Highlighted

What model modem do you have? Is it the Technicolor version of the Gen 2 Smart Modem DJA0231? There have been a few reports of recent IOS 13 update to iPhones that causes the modem to reboot when the iPhone is connected to modem's WiFi. There is a firmware update for the modem 18.1c.443.950RA that is supposed to fix the issue but I think Telstra has stopped rolling out the update as it causes other problems. The model No and firmware no is displayed on LHS of modem's login page. 

Highlighted

Hi

My telstra cable adapter modem is Netgear CM450 - 1TLAUS connected to smart modem gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231. Telstra tech who came out yesterday changed attenuator that was 5DB changed it to 10DB. Dropout remains constant. I have also noticed Network light that is suppose to blink blue on cable adapter all of a sudden goes blank and this is the time my wifi disappears. If I search for wifi in my phone or laptop my ssid won't even show up.

Highlighted

Hi 

Yes it is Smart Modem Gen 2 with below details

Product Name
Technicolor DJA0231
Software Version
18.1.c
Firmware Version
18.1.c.0384-950-RB
Hardware Version
VCNT-A

and yes I do have couple of iphones that run IOS 13.x.xxx. To isolate this I have decided to run ping test for 24 hours with all the iphones disconnected to wifi ( forgetting the security key) to check. 

Is there anything else I can do? like if this is the root cause then how to fix it? 

Thanks heaps 
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Have Edit this post as I did not see your last post.

The network light goes off because the cable adapter has detected there is no signal from the   Telstra smart modem because it is rebooting.

One method you could try is to connect the iPhone only to the 2.4 GHz WiFi SSID.

The only real fix is modem firmware update. Once the problems have been solved with firmware 18.1c.443.950RA Telstra will start pushing it out again. The firmware version number will probably be changed.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for the helpful tips.

Replacement of hardware and connecting my iPhone to old Telstra modem smart gen 2 on 2.4 GHz may have resolved the issue. I did not notice any dropout and uptime seems to 3d+ so it looks like its resolved. I did ask Telstra and they have pushed firmware update smart modem gen 2 and the firmware I have is Software Version 18.1.c Firmware Version 18.1.c.0347-950-RC. I tried to connect to the new-gen 2 but it rebooted after 2 minutes of use on IOS 13.x.x. As of now, I have 1 smart modem gen 2 that has all the devices connected to it and has band steering and 2.4ghz and 5ghz enabled. Another smart modem gen 2 is connected via LAN and is only on 2.4ghz that is specifically for ios.

Highlighted

Just an update 

My modem's firmware has been updated to 18.1.c.0347-950-RC. What I have found out is once I connect my IOS device it works fine for about 45 minutes and then it starts rebooting every 5 minutes. Looks like new firmware is not making any difference. I am thinking to replace my wifi router that is the last option I can think off.

Highlighted

Thanks for posting tbe update.

You should not have to spend your own money fixkng a problem caused by Telstra. There are two versions of the Gen 2 modem. The other version made by Arcadyan (LH1000)does nog have the same problem with IOS devices. You could request that Telstra provide you with the Arcadyan version of the modem. I don't think the support people you speak to on the phone can choose which modem to send. You will have to raise a complaint. There is a firmware update for the Technicolor that fjxes the problem 18.1c.443.950RA but Telstra stopped pushjng the fjrmware out because it caused problems with devices that only support 2.4 GHz WiFi.

Highlighted

I think that black nbn connection box has bug for autoupdate firmware.May be you can try hold that reset for 10 second to make it back original firmware,so before that box auto upgrade ,you can have around one day peace of mind....

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit