Sidpaul
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra cable internet - unable to connect to vpn or receive facetime/skype/whatsapp video calls

I'm using the Netgear Cable Gateway CG3100D-2 router and for the past few months, I've been having teething issues when it comes to my telstra cable internet. 

I cannot connect to my work VPN - I have tried both wired and wireless connection. As soon as I use my Optus 4G network phone as a hotspot, the connection goes through instantly. 

Also, I cannot receive or make video calls using skype, facetime or whatsapp. It says connecting but nothing happens. Again, as soon as I turn my wifi off on my iphone and use my 4G phone connection, it connects instantly. 

Thirdly, I cannot connect to the playstation network. A diagnostics run on the PS3 says I'm connected to the internet but the connection to PSN fails. 

Can someone help me understand what's going on? It sounds like some sort of telstra cable config issue. 

Thanks!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Telstra cable internet - unable to connect to vpn or receive facetime/skype/whatsapp video calls

Hi Sidpaul, 

Can you check the modem's firewall settings to see if it's been set to high?

You may also need to check out opening some ports (port forwarding) in order to get the VPN working.   You'll need to get the details from your work IT people. Also you may find portforward.com a useful resource if you need to open a certain port. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit