CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Cable plan going to NBN - slower speeds for the same cost?

Answered

Hi all, first time posting! I currently have Cable, and I have been receiving letters saying that I need to swap over to the NBN. I have very good Cable speeds at $93 per month for 500GB. Now, if I go to the NBN, I would be on the same plan, but the speeds would be less than what I currently get with Cable (at least according to the speeds listed here ).

Is this correct? Will I be paying the same amount of money for a slower service? I have to change to the NBN because they will cut off other internet in my area... so my concern is that I'm being forced into a slower service.  Do Telstra offer any sort of compensation for this kind of thing? It just seems wrong to have to pay for a lesser service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Cable plan going to NBN - slower speeds for the same cost?

The download is slightly slower, but the upload is significantly faster. 

Standard Cable is 30/1, Standard NBN on Telstra is 25/5,

So you lose 5Mbps of Download but your Upload becomes 5x faster. 

It is a bit of give and take.

That being said, if you went to ADSL, you would pay the same and only get upto a maximum of 20Mbps.

ADSL, NBN, Velocity and Cable are all considered equipment services and are priced the same, the speeds obtained are limited to the technology. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Cable plan going to NBN - slower speeds for the same cost?

The download is slightly slower, but the upload is significantly faster. 

Standard Cable is 30/1, Standard NBN on Telstra is 25/5,

So you lose 5Mbps of Download but your Upload becomes 5x faster. 

It is a bit of give and take.

That being said, if you went to ADSL, you would pay the same and only get upto a maximum of 20Mbps.

ADSL, NBN, Velocity and Cable are all considered equipment services and are priced the same, the speeds obtained are limited to the technology. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit