L1verp00l
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Cable via dish on the roof, how to connect to NBN?

Hi guys,

I am currently a very happy telstra cable customer via a dish on the roof of my house, but the dreaded notice came in the mail saying I have to convert over to NBN. I am in metro Melbourne

I am assuming that even though I have a dish and receive my current internet service from that, I will need to proceed with an NBN install. Can someone confirm this for me?

If that it indeed the case, do I therefore assume that my NBN install will involve a technician having to run a line from the nearest pit to my house, and subsequently feed the cable through the walls of the house into a new box?

Thanks in advance.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Telstra Cable via dish on the roof, how to connect to NBN?

Are you sure you are receiving your internet via a dish on the roof.  I don't think any suburban Telstra customers receive internet via a dish on the roof. It is more likely that you already have coax cable already connected to your house and the dish on the roof was used for Foxtel.

Even if the cable is already connected a NBN technician will still need to do some work on your premises.

StrayaM8
Level 11: Detective

The telstra cable that is being used currently to supply your internet is sold to NBN co as part of this process. At a certain date, it will be cut off, and Telstra will be unable to continue to provide you the same service on the same network. 

You are not forced, per say to have the NBN installed at your address, however it will provide the most comparable service in terms of reliability price and speed.

Other alternatives to look at within telstra is mobile broadband, however this is best for people who use less than 100GB (currently telstra offers 100GB a month max on mobile broadband)

There are other alternatives to NBN outside Telstra, however these are not available in all areas and are of varying quality. 

Best way to get information is speak with Telstra, they will have information on what work exactly needs to be done to get you set up.

Jupiter

@cf4 there aren't any Telstra customers that receive their internet via a dish on the roof. Telstra don't offer a satellite internet service to residential consumers (even on NBN), only to places like mine sites.

The dish will be for Foxtel (which was used in areas of Melbourne where there was no HFC Cable rolled out). So it seems odd that a Cable customer has a Foxtel dish at all.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

@L1verp00l  - suggest you log-in to the NBN web site and enter your address into their availability screens - that way you will know what type of NBN service will be provided to your residence. If it is ready to connect, you can apply to Telstra for a connection. 

Your NBN connection could use a fibre optic cable, telephone line cable or a HFC underground coax cable. If fibre optic or telephone line cable, your existing satellite dish may be capable of being used for future Foxtel.

Current HFC coax cable customers with Foxtel can continue to watch Foxtel through NBN - the technician connects a 1 to 2 splitter on the internal coax cable, one for the NBN Modem and the other for the IQ3/4.

Foxtel intend to migrate all their customers off NBN coax delivery and substitute it with a Satellite Dish connection. Their agreement with NBN expires in 2023, so one assumes that would be the intended date for completion of the migration. Foxtel appear to be offering to migrate customers earlier on customer request or in whatever programmed schedule they have in mind. Three years is a long way away, so things may change in the future. 

L1verp00l

Very sure... when we got Telstra bigpond cable and foxtel installed the technician had to climb onto the roof of our second storey house to put the dish on!

cf4

How is the Telstra modem connected? If the modem is connected to phone socket you might have Telstra ADSL and Foxtel via the dish on the roof.

When did you have Foxtel and Telstra cable installed. About a year ago Foxtel decided to gradually migrate all its customers to cable. Any new customers were connected to satellite even if cable was available. The Foxtel was delivered via a dish on the roof but the Internet was delivered via cable.

L1verp00l

Well I might be wrong, but as I said in another response, when we got Foxtel and Bigpond connected, there was no run made from any pit. The technician went onto the roof, did what he needed to do, and I have bigpond and foxtel coming from whatever he did.

I think you have all answered my question though... a) I need to arrange an NBN connection and b) it sounds like they will need to run it from the pit... which I have no idea how they are going to do it but it isn;t really my problem I guess.

L1verp00l

Hmmm, sorry I'm not technical. I'll take some pictures tonight, hopefully that will help answer the question!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit