Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra - delibratly degrading your net expereince. Cable/nbn internet speed shaped automated

Telstra - delibratly degrading your net expereince. Cable/nbn internet speed shaped automated

Hi,

I recently en-counted a problem with Telstra cable internet. For the last 2 weeks, I have had my uploads "shaped to 0.01mbit upload". How do I know its been shaped? Well because every morning I get 100mbit down and 5.5mbit upload, than magically at 1201 midday every day my upload slows to 0.01 making my internet unusable. I couldn't even send this message on the cable because the uploaded packets simply don't registered. My cable has never had any shaping issues before NBN was installed nation wide and until the last 2 weeks I never had any issues with speeds. I have had a Telstra tech come out who "logged a fault" which is jargon for never going to fix that problem. Please note below the times and dates in the bottom right hand corner of the 2 photos. I can repeat this result every single day without fail.

This means there is nothing wrong with my connection but Telstra's shaping system designed to slow you down is automated and is causes issues with upload in my case. My main glitch is that the automated shaping appears to be wrecking my upload maybe it assumes I have more upload like a NBN connection normally would have but the automated system doesn't realize that telstra cable upload speeds were always terrible.This is an example of how I think the automated system works.

System protocols example -

Typical nbn user

System activate midday upload reduction/shaping -5mbit. Typical nbn 20mbit upload now reduced to 15mbit

problem with system-

Cable user system activate shaping of -5mbit result  5-5= 0mbit

My best conclusion is that Telstra internet now comes with a great new feature that automatically degrades your experience at the same time every day.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted

Re: Telstra - delibratly degrading your net expereince. Cable/nbn internet speed shaped automated

This is interesting. I'm experiencing the same with my cable internet connection. We recently had NBN deployed on our street.  Interesting theory to suggest that the NBN has impacted Cable performance. I'm trying to think of a good theory behind this but can't.  Why would they deliberately throttle our upload speed during the day? In a residential area? I can imagine this at night with the gamers going nuts.

Highlighted

Re: Telstra - delibratly degrading your net expereince. Cable/nbn internet speed shaped automated

We also had NBN deployed on our street recently, I wonder if the NBN shaping system was deployed at the same time.

Highlighted

You're not in New Farm QLD by chance?

I can confirm the pattern you're seeing.  1) our upload is being shaped during the day 2) it's happened since NBN was rolled out in our neighbourhoods.  

What frustrates me is twofold.

1) I have purchased a special addon pack to give me greater upload speed. 

2) Telstra won't answer their phones.

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Telstra doesn't have a "shaping system" that will do that, but there is definitely something going on with the connections that is causing it.

Send a message using the My Telstra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen). Someone should respond in a few hours/couple of days. You can mark the message as urgent by tapping on the icon in the top right of the message screen. Make sure you start the message with your full name - then describe the problem (eg Cable connection upload speeds dropping to zero every day at midday for x hours)

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

I type at 5 words per minute on my mobile. Where's the web chat app? (where I can touch type)

Highlighted

Live (web) Chat is not available at the moment.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

There's no live agent on the mobile app and get sent back to the website. I've given up and am switching to another provider.

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

@Vandaman wrote:

There's no live agent on the mobile app and get sent back to the website. I've given up and am switching to another provider.

Hi @Vandaman 

Due to the temporary COVID-19 support issues, it is best at this time to chase it up via the My Telstra app, use the "Get Help" icon at the bottom of the screen and leave a message. That will go in a queue and be answered as soon as they can.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mytelstra

More information on how to leave a message via the My Telstra app can be found at
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Accounts-Plans/How-to-message-with-us-in-the-My-Telstra-app/t...

BTW, changing providers won't help, the issue will follow you. 

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted

I was able to talk to telstra via the webchat after they sent me a link. The tech came out 10 days ago and "lodged a fault" which not to my surprise nothing has been done about it. Every day before midday I get 5mbit upload than 12miday every day without fail 0.01mbit upload. They are deliberately scamming cable users, probably to push them to the NBN lines which are NOT HFC they are FTTC in my case.

Cable users like myself who have been paying for almost 2 decades are fed up with the way telstra are treating there long standing customers. This treatment is an absolute joke and if you are a new customer and have an issue forget it get ready to join the infinite queue. How do I know this? Because I was forced to move to NBN and I can't get connected with NBN through Telstra either. I waited 16 weeks and went through the loops of calling and getting ignored and hung up on. whats $100 x 12 x 20 years ? = that's $24,000. Also I have multiple lines for other properties. For years of service you get sold out to overseas and eventually will be moved to fully electronic were you can never talk to a person. 

I've given up on thinking the cable issue will get fixed, I believe its a deliberate move to force people onto the NBN and I would love to see the rate at which people are fleeing Telstra especially now there are no lock in contracts. Australian companies with Australian employees are taking all of Telstra's customers. When customers figure out that Telstra no longer own the network/lines that run the internet they will flee Telstras poor customer service and Telstra will become defunct like onetel. Telstra will become an old company exactly like AOL whose entire business model relied on users believing dail up speeds were normal.

Highlighted

Update - same total scam happening below are today's results. Note the time in the bottom right hand corner. Same time midday every day Telstra turns on the speed capping. Keep in mind it keeps the speeds caps the entire day/night and I spend minimum 18 hours capped. 0.01mbit makes the cable internet unusable, I cannot send anything above 50kb in size such as email or photo without it failing. This message is impossible to send from cable internet I have to use a phone.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I'm on cable in Melbourne and this same issue started for me this week. 

Highlighted

Keep complaining its all over the place for cable users. No response from Telstra after a tech "lodged a fault" for me weeks ago.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

We’re experiencing the same issue on our cable internet plan here In inner city Brisbane. Telstra says there is a “cable outage” in the area causing typical speeds of 900kbps, which are completely unusable to work from home. 

The outages page consistently delays the fix for the area, and the customer support team provide no help at all. 

Coincidentally, the nbn was activated in our area in the last two weeks (which as long as we’ve been experiencing issues)

From what I’ve read here it seems obvious to me that Telstra is deliberately degrading their cable customers experience, because the speeds are better and more affordable than what is available on the nbn plans. 

We’ve made a complaint to the TIO who have ordered Telstra to come up with a solution we both agree with. I suggest others do the same. When Telstra is unable to restore your service you can ask for a cancellation with no fees and sign up with another carrier who will care about your customer experience. Unfortunately your fixed line options will be nbn or ADSL. 

It’s a pity, Telstra was easily the best and most reliable network in Australia—and now it’s a sad joke. They don’t deserve your money, don’t pay them another cent if you can help it. 

@telstra, no one wants the sub-par nbn. You had a good service when you provided cable. I’d think about offering it again before you lose customers to cheaper nbn carriers—you can’t compete, and even if you could, your reputation is too far damaged. 

Highlighted

It's not "Telstra's NBN", it's NBN Co's NBN and the Cable network in your area is now owned and operated by NBN Co. Telstra just sells services on it like every other provider. 

Also,  you can't get an ADSL connection in an NBN enabled area. 

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I don’t believe I ever said it was “Telstra’s nbn”, I said it was “the nbn”. I don’t care who owns it, the network is terrible.

I was happy with Telstra when they offered good reliable cable, and now I’m not. End of story. 

It seems as though others share the same sentiment.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

having the same problem and trying to get my head around why a complete suburb that had been set up HFC is now being force downgraded to FTTN and forced to accept lower speeds than a FTTP connection when HFC will, other than of course to charge to for a FTTP connection with a $330 quote fee

Highlighted

You would have to take that up with NBN Co.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit