Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra DNS Breaking

So everyone who is having issues with their internet even though all the lights on their modem are on, it's because Telstras DNS servers are crapping out constantly and either not responding, or responding with garbage. As an example, this is the last 5 minutes at my place, even though the connection hasn't dropped:

Ben@Benjamins-MacBook-Pro ~ % nslookup java.com
** server can't find java.com: SERVFAIL

Name: java.com
Address: 10.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: java.com
Address: 104.116.180.74

As you can see, it either can't resolve at all, resolves to a private IP (!!!!), and then finally comes good. Telstra really need to fix this, it's been happening very frequently over the last couple of weeks. The problem is, people who don't know will run the automated tests and their connection will say that it's fine, but they won't be able to actually do anything because DNS is not working. You also can't seem to change the smart modem DNS settings to use more reliable servers like google's 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 servers.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra DNS Breaking

I have never experienced on of those DNS problems. The only problems I have had is the Telstra DNS tends to block some sites. 

The DNS settings on the Gen 1.1 and Gen 2 Smart modem can be changed using drop down list at Advanced > Local network. Change bothe IPv4 and IPv6 and then disconnect and reconnect your device.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Telstra DNS Breaking

Thanks for the tip on the local network, I was looking in the wrong place

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit