LeeBaldock
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Gateway Max now longer connecting to Cable connection after NBN

Hi,

My mother is 84 - she has recently had a hip replacement and then a fall and broke her wrist so she has been in hospital for a while. She has returned home to her retirement village to find that the NBN has become "available". According to Telstra her existing Cable connection through her Telstra Gateway Max will continue to be active for 18 more months at which point she must change to the NBN which is what we we advised and we understand HOWEVER since returning home from the hospital her Telstra Gateway Max will only intermittently connect to the WAN - say for an hour or two a day - maybe for 3 hours in a row then nothing - so for all intent and purpose she has no internet. I called Telstra 3 times and have gone through the usual IT support questions checking that everything is connected etc etc etc which it all is however we have no luck. I don't want to move her to the NBN YET if we get this connection fixed as her neighbor's cable through Telstra is still working fine and Cable is SO much faster and better and cheaper then the NBN plus she is recovering from surgery so the less change the better right now.

I've been advised by Telstra that if we move across to the NBN she won't need a new modem and will be able to just turn off her gateway max and it will reconnect to the NBN when it's activated for her however I'm dubious as if there is some other issue the same one that is causing her cable internet to not work the problem may still be there.

I'm extremely time poor and haven't got much time to troubleshoot this for her.

Is there a way to have a technician come out to her house?

Is there a setting in the gateway Max that might help stabilize the connection?

Kind regards

Lee

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Telstra Gateway Max now longer connecting to Cable connection after NBN

1. When your mother transitions to NnBN she will need a new modem. There are two Telstra gateways with the Telstra Gateway max name , one for DSL connections which is suitable for NBN and the other for cable connections which is not suitable for NBN. The person you spoke to at Telstra probably thought your mother had the DSL version which shows how poorly trained the Telstra ovrseas support staff is. As well as a Telstra modem she will also probably need a NBN modem as well.
  2. When you consider that the Telstra NBN plans also include a phone service with free calls they are not all that dearer than existing plans and do most people realy need super fast internet.
  3. There is no setting in modem that will fix the problem. There is probably an intermitent cable fault that the NBN activity in the area in preparation for NBN. Suggest you raise a complaint. The link below shows how to raise a complaint.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/account-billing/manage-account/our-complaints-handling-p...

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Hello Lee

If your mother at 84 as you explain,  has a very serious medical condition ongoing, she would qualify for Priority Assistance.  With Priority Assistance, she will get much faster service, a technician will usually come out within a day and she will also be given a free UPS that is designed especially for the Gen 2 smart modems.  There is no charge for any of this.

Customer Service will accept Priority Assistance on face value for 30 days, and within that 30 days she will be sent a form her doctor signs and is faxed to a special number or posted to a specific address.   If the form is not received by Telstra Priority Assist the service will drop off after the first 30 days. I have provided a link below for you to read, and apply if necessary

https://www.telstra.com.au/consumer-advice/customer-service/priority-assist

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
LeeBaldock
Level 1: Cadet

Hi ProfessorPhone,

Yes she is 84 born in 1935 - fixed line and Cable internet Telstra customer 

She  had a hip replacement and was in hospital and a rehab clinic for 3 weeks then returned home for a week and had a fall and broke her wrist then was in hospital again for 2 weeks. On returning home her cable internet (coaxial cable witrh foxtel via a splitter) is not working/intermittent (was working perfectly for years before all this and untouched while she was away) so we know the issue is with Telstra and I suspect the issue is because of the NBN being made "available" on the 31st of December in her village. She was told and I have confirmed this that it SHOULD be working fine and she has 18 months to change to the NBN.

Thank you for the advise I called the number recommended on that website to see if she was eligible for priory assist

------------------------------

How can I get immediate assistance?

If you think you may be eligible for Priority Assist and you need immediate assistance with a fault or new line connection, please call us on 13 2203 (faults on your existing line) or 1800 331 286 (new line connections).

--------------------------

and they told me she was not eligible, that Cable customers aren't eligible for priory assist which is unfortunate. I'll follow up with cf4's recommendation of a complaint.

Kind regards

Lee

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

The Priority Assist scheme is sponsored (paid for)  by the Government for sick people with serious illness. You do not discuss the specific illness to agents, who are not qualified to access her eligibility,

I explained that if she has a life-threatening illness, she has 30 days grace for her doctor to fill in the form and her to fax it or post it to a specific place as on the form.

Telstra, is  the only phone provider paid by the Government to provide Medical Priority Support.

You ONLY speak to   PHONE support, as the phone is essential in an emergency, not the internet.

If the phone works................

You don't have to explain her specific medical condition, as her doctor will do so, on the form they send.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit