Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Telstra internet no wifi

Answered

So a Telstra technician came to our home on Sunday because we are getting 0.1 Mpbs download speed. He replaced the modem and said he’d change the channel at the exchange. The next day after being on the phone for 2 hours we were told the new modem must be faulty! So StarTrack delivered a new one today.

Plugged it in and yep 0.1 Mpbs speeds. The line is delivery  6.00 Mpbs to the modem but 0.1 out of the modem. When the technician plugged his modem in he get 5 or 6 Mpbs. The technician said he’s never encountered something like this before and called for help. No one knew what to do. 

The channels have been changed etc. Could there be a problem with a setting? Does anyone have any ideas? Strange that the technician and support haven’t experienced this before.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra internet no wifi

The only solution I can see is that you use a different make and model modem. It looks like there is an incompatibility issue between your modem and your ADSL link as it is only syncing at 0.2 Mbps instead of 6 Mbps.

There are no settings on the modem that will effect the DSL link speed. Telstra could try changing settings in the ADSL port in the exchange but without more detailed information about the ADSL link I don't no what settings to suggest they change. 

Do you still have any off the other replacement modems. The Technicolor version DJA0231 will provide  much better DSL link information and might indicate what is causing the problem.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Hello 

Do you have NBN and what type  or ADSL or cable?

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted

Hi. ADSL2 

Highlighted

it’s a peculiar problem. Very annoying but also quite fascinating as to what the problem is. The technician was very confused. 

The customer service person would like to get rid of me as a customer as they like easy fixes!!

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi - just to clarify a few things because of the post's title , the ADSL2+ service has been certified as operating at 5-6 Mbps on the line side by the Telstra technician , but you are getting 0.1 Mbps on Wi-Fi - is that correct or is it 0.1 Mbps on the modem's DSL link?

What is the Modem name and model number that has been provided in case it has a 4G LTE WAN link that activates when your primary ADSL2+ link is down? The 4G LTE link operates at 6 Mbps Down / 1 Mbps Up with 10 GB max a month. Once the max limit is reached, it slows down the modem in two stages to lower speeds. 

Are your speeds tests using a LAN cable connected to a PC (preferred) , a PC with Wi-Fi Adapter or a Smart Phone on Wi-Fi - if one of the later two, is it using the 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi SSID name to connect to or the 5 Ghz SSID name to connect to the modem? 

Highlighted

Hello. The modem has wireless back up but it hasn’t been shaped. We haven’t used up the monthly allowance. When a PC is pledged into the wall socket the speed is usually around 6 MPBS. When the wifi is tested ( from the modem) it is usually .01MPBS. 

The Telstra technician is confused because when he plugs his modem in he gets wifi speeds of 6 MPBS. He has attempted to change the channel at the exchange but no luck. We have had three new modems because technicians thought they were faulty. Nothing seems to work. 
When it drops out completely and switched to the wireless card we receive reasonable wifi.

i am not a technical person at all but can see the technicians that come out here are experienced but this problem has stumped them.

Highlighted

Hi again. My husband asked me to pass this on to you. Thanks. It would be amazing if the problem could be solved.

The Telstra technician brought a test modem which receives data consistently at an input of 6.1MBPS
Swapping to our modem is between 0.4 and 1.4 MBPS (the same whether using WIFI or an ethernet cable)
Therefore the issue is the configuration between the exchange and the modem. It is not wifi interference or anything else but a configuration for our modem.
This mis configuration has persisted for YEARS despite continual complaints

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

If the tech is seeing 6Mbps on his modem, then it is not a misconfiguration issue (as he would see exactly the same problem on his modem that your modem is seeing if that was the case).

Something that is confusing me. You said that when a PC is plugged in to the wall socket, you see 6Mbps, that is simply not possible on an ADSL connection as you require a modem to be plugged in to the wall socket before you can get a useable signal.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Have all the replacement modems you received from Telstra been the same make and model? Some modems have different DSL characteristics?  Which model modem do you have. There is a label on bottom of modem with model no (DJA0231 or LH1000).

Highlighted

They have all been different. The most recent is LH1000
Highlighted

If you log into the modem http://192.168.0.1 (Password is Telstra) and got to Broadband the DSL speed will be shown on the RHS in the Connection mode column (DSL RX Rate, DSL TX Rate). What do you see as the speed?

You can also check the speed of the link between your device and the modem. This is shown on the modem's home screen for each connected device.

Example 

DSL RX Rate 46369 Kbps
DSL TX Rate 11031 Kbps

You can also see the link speed between individual devices and the modem on the modem's home screen.
Highlighted

Rx rate 261kbps

Tx rate 204kbps

Highlighted

The problem is the ADSL link speed it should be approximately 6000 Kbps.

Have you tried connecting modem directly to phone wall socket without using a filter and with no phones connected to any other phone sockets?

Are you plugging the modem into the same phone socket used by Technician?

What version software does the modem have. The firmware version is displayed on the LHS of the modem's log in page?

Highlighted

We don’t use a phone and only have one plug

Highlighted

0.09.11r

Highlighted

It would so amazing if someone could find a solution to our problem. It’s so frustrating. 

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The only solution I can see is that you use a different make and model modem. It looks like there is an incompatibility issue between your modem and your ADSL link as it is only syncing at 0.2 Mbps instead of 6 Mbps.

There are no settings on the modem that will effect the DSL link speed. Telstra could try changing settings in the ADSL port in the exchange but without more detailed information about the ADSL link I don't no what settings to suggest they change. 

Do you still have any off the other replacement modems. The Technicolor version DJA0231 will provide  much better DSL link information and might indicate what is causing the problem.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

When the Telstra technician conducted a speed verification on his test modem, did he use his PC, smart phone or special terminal equipment? Did he use the same device to test your replacement modem/s? Did you connect your PC to his test modem for a comparative test?

By chance, would your PC be of HP brand #, of recent manufacture or one that is over 8 years old? Do all your devices exhibit the same downgrade in speed?

Is the NBN a possible solution for your consideration?

# a recent post had a situation where a new HP All-in-One PC exhibited significant download speed degradation compared to other devices and I have come to accept that my personal seven year HP Netbook LAN connection operates at half the speed of an iPhone 6 Wi-Fi despite me tweaking every possible setting in its Ethernet Adapter.  

Highlighted

We had the DJA modem. The technician thought it was the problem!!!! Don’t have much faith in the Telstra technicians. Surely this is not the only time this has happened?

Highlighted

All devices have terrible speeds. Special terminal equipment was used. He was calling for support and said he’d never seen our particular issues before! 

Highlighted

NBN might be a fix but I’m not holding my breath. The problems seem to be the signal out of the modem ie the wifi. So nbn might teach the modem but modem might not work? Sorry I’m not technically savvy 

Highlighted

Still not working properly 

Highlighted

@Mimi4 wrote:

We had the DJA modem. The technician thought it was the problem!!!! Don’t have much faith in the Telstra technicians. Surely this is not the only time this has happened?

I have heard of a few other times this has happened but it was usually fixed when modem was replaced with a different brand or model

Perhaps you could get Telstra to replace the modem with the Gen 1.1 modem DJA0230. This modem has a different DSL chip. I think both the Arcadyan and the Technicolor Gen 2 modem use same DSL chip.

Highlighted

@Mimi4  - I think your situation would improve with NBN and would encourage you to apply when convenient. It uses a different technology, VDSL which should improve on your current speed issues. The Generation 2 modems by Technicolor or Arcadyan are made for NBN connections.

In case it helps, if your PC is within 8 metres of the modem, log into the Arcadyan per above, select Wi-Fi and Deselect Band Steering on the 2.4 Ghz page and SAVE, you will then see two Wi-Fi Network names being broadcast ( consistent with those on the printed label) , can you connect your PC to the 5Ghz Wi-Fi network and test again. Your current 6 Mbps ADSL download service should preclude any accidental connection to the other slower Wi-Fi Network called Telstra Air.

Highlighted

@Mimi4 wrote:

NBN might be a fix but I’m not holding my breath. The problems seem to be the signal out of the modem ie the wifi. So nbn might teach the modem but modem might not work? Sorry I’m not technically savvy 

It is not the WiFi signal from the modem causing the low speed it is the DSL speed that modem is syncing at. This is probably due to some incompatibility between modem and the ADSL port. I have one of these modem's connected to NBN and it is syncing at 45 Mbps.

Highlighted

@Mimi4  - just to correct a statement I made in regards to NBN using VDSL -  this is certainly the case for customers who will reuse telephone line cabling in situ for their NBN connection - NBN FTTN (Node) and FTTC (Curb).

In certain areas, customers who have current Telstra HFC Coax cabling ex Foxtel or Telstra Cable Broadband may expect to continue to be connected with coax and others may have FTTP, Fibre to the Premises.

Optus HFC Network customers will not re-use their existing HFC connections and be converted over to whatever the NBN preferred method is for that area. Some areas that have traditionally used Telstra ADSL telephone cabling have also been converted over to NBN HFC.

You can check up on the NBN web site as to what method NBN will use to deploy the service to you. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit