Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra IP Ranges - Work From Home

Answered

I'm on Telstra Core Internet (ADSL)

Employer has asked for list of IP ranges I may be connecting in from so the IPSEC VPN can be configured to accept them. Apparently it is managed by a 3rd party and they have to do this, despite it adding little-to-nothing to security, especially as they have to use PSK and not Certificates.

I imagine it may be quite a long list. Does anyone know where I can get hold of it?

Thanks,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra IP Ranges - Work From Home

That comes in the realm of "good luck with that", there are literally billions of possible addresses. I don't believe that there is a list like that that is accessible.

I don't know of any security system that still works that way. The IP addresses aren't static and they change semi-regularly. Your employer needs a new provider, such a system is terrible from a security standpoint - if the list of possible addresses was opened up by them, then any Telstra connection could be used as a hacking origin.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

That comes in the realm of "good luck with that", there are literally billions of possible addresses. I don't believe that there is a list like that that is accessible.

I don't know of any security system that still works that way. The IP addresses aren't static and they change semi-regularly. Your employer needs a new provider, such a system is terrible from a security standpoint - if the list of possible addresses was opened up by them, then any Telstra connection could be used as a hacking origin.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks, I agree and have said as much. Source IPs are easily spoofed, and if they insist on PSK and not certificates they can't be too concerned about security. But what do I know?

They've put a corporate level request in to find out, see what eventuates. 

Highlighted

"there are literally billions of possible addresses."

No there aren't. Telstra own a range of IP addresses, the pool they use for home users is likely to be a couple of dozen at most.

"I don't believe that there is a list like that that is accessible."

You mean like this: https://ipinfo.io/AS1221

They own about 400 ranges, most of which would be for internal use. If you go to http://whatismyip.com then find your ip in the list above, it is more than likely that your assigned IP from Telstra will always be from within the same range. 

Highlighted

"despite it adding little-to-nothing to security"

Exactly this. ACLs for VPN 'security' are clumsy, especially since the purpose of a VPN is to work remotely, and guess what, your remote location may change along with your IP address.

Email your CIO and tell him he is a monkey

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit