Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra NBN FTTC using a BYO Router

Answered

Next week I hope to switch from ADSL2+  to the nbn (FTTC) . With my current ADSL2+ I use my own Netgear D7000 functioning as a modem-router.  Telstra have sent me the nbn connection device & a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (LH1000) - & I expect these will function fine to set up on the nbn.

In the setup procedure for the Telstra supplied LH1000 I see that there is no need to input my Telstra username & password as authentication is done using IPoE (instead of PPPoE on my ADSL2+ where I do need the username/password)). I'm no expert but seems there must be some preconfigured authentication in the Telstra LH1000 that tells the Telstra "internet" who I am?

My question is if I replace the LH1000 with my D7000 what config info do I have to put in my D7000 for the Telstra system to recognise me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra NBN FTTC using a BYO Router

I would suggest you set up the supplied equipment in its simplest form to start with and get your service/s activated and operational to start with...

Then look at replacing that setup with your own..  at least you will have a reference point and a working service, to start from. Just be aware that Telstra won't stop you using your own 3rd party equipment, but if you have trouble (and that includes any phone service you are  getting) then Telstra will only test to their own equipment..  

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

I would suggest you set up the supplied equipment in its simplest form to start with and get your service/s activated and operational to start with...

Then look at replacing that setup with your own..  at least you will have a reference point and a working service, to start from. Just be aware that Telstra won't stop you using your own 3rd party equipment, but if you have trouble (and that includes any phone service you are  getting) then Telstra will only test to their own equipment..  

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Agree ..thats the plan.....get it all working with the Telstra supplied equipment & then use my own router if needed.  I understand that by replacing the Telstra smart modem with the Netgear D7000 I would lose both the "landline" & the backup Telstra 4G internet access.

But I want to investigate what would be needed if I was to use the D7000.

Thanks

Highlighted

The current Smart Modem 2's (two versions) are actually not bad kit..  not perfect but acceptable..  the 4G backup for voice and data does work and is also acceptable  as a solution to loss of NBN. Add to that the Smart WiFi Boosters (AP's really, no boosting happens) that integrate seamlessly with the Smart Modems and there isn't much wanting, unless you have specific needs for extensive port forwarding and the like. 

Try it first, before going to the Netgear..  you can always add the  Netgear to the Smart Modem, one of them downstream from the other - with careful configuration of the DHCP and Wi-Fi. he advantage is you get to keep the 4 G backup and the landline.

My preference is to put the 3rd party device on a LAN port of the Smart Modem, so you can quickly revert to the expected Telstra setup if needed, but that's a choice that only a user can make. Certainly not impossible nor unnecessary in certain situations....

Stevo 52
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

After first getting Telstra Smart modem up and running I wound then set up Netgear as the main modem by connecting its WAN port directly to FTTC NTD and Telstra Smart modem to LAN port of Netgear as shown below.

NBN NTD---------- WAN Netgear LAN ----------- WAN  Telstra Modem---------Phone

No special settings required in Telstra Modem

Settings for Netgear

Set up for cable or Fiber Without login page 74 0f manual

VLAN ID Not ticked

Change LAN IP address to something other than 192.168.0.1 so that it is not in sane subset as Smart modem. Example 192.168.1.1 See page 220 of manual

Disable SIP ALG as per https://kb.netgear.com/30796/How-do-I-disable-SIP-ALG-on-my-NETGEAR-device-using-the-router-web-inte...

If you have an outage you can still use Smart modem backup by disconnecting Smart modems WAN port and connecting Netgear's WAN port to LAN port on Telstra Smart modem.

The advantage of this setup is that you don't have double NAT which can cause problems with some apps and devices.

Highlighted

Steve_W52 & cf4

Many thanks for quick responses.  Both of you have given me some options that I hadn't thought about.

First though I'll get it all functioning with the standard Telstra supplied gear. Currently in my house I have to use a range extender (Belkin) to get sufficient signal to the back area of my house. I'm assuming that there will be no problems connecting that to the home wifi side of of the LH1000.

I just had a quick read of the Netgear manual p74 - I'll re-read tomorrow, but right now I'm still not clear (if no user name/password is required) as to how/what the Telstra internet side of the system picks up to recognise/authenticate my specific connection.  Is it something in the nbn NTD (NTD's MAC address maybe)?

Highlighted

Telstra uses the port you are connected to on the NBN. The NBN port is connected to only your address so only you can use the service that is on that port. There is no need for a username anr password or MAc address of equipment to authenticate the connection.

Some ISPs still require a username and password, and other ISPs use the MAC address of there supplied modems, but as only one device can be connected to the NBN port there is no need for this extra authentication.

Highlighted

When setting up the service for first time the Telstra modem does have to be connected directly to NBN NTD, but only to configure the the voip phone service and 4G backup in the modem. It is not used to authenticate the connection.

The extender can connect to Telstra modem's WiFi if you want to use Telstra modem as the main modem.

Highlighted

Thanks

This morning I've been prowling around the forums & found quite a bit of useful info.

I suppose right now just with my adsl2+ access I could simply replace my Netgear D7000 modem-router with the Telstra LH1000 (using DSL port) & configure the LH1000 with my existing home wifi network details and get that side of it all working.  Then when Telstra notify me that the nbn FTTC is ready to go, I simply follow the procedure...i.e. disconnect/remove the DSL connections, plug the nbn NTD to the phone socket, power it up & once thats all good connect the NTD to the LH1000 WAN port. Unless I've missed something the LH1000 should connect through the NTD without me doing anything more?   The home wifi side would be already in place.

I guess the last bit would be to plug the old phone hand set into the LH1000 "phone" port.

Highlighted

Yes the LH1000 could be used on your ADSL connection and when you transfer to NBN it will just be a matter of plugging the NBN NTD into phone socket and connecting WAN port of the LH1000 to the NBN NTD. The LH1000 will automatically reconfigure itself for the NBN connection. You might find that when you use the LH1000 on the ADSL connection it will automatically configure itself with the correct username and password. Some of the Telstra ADSL servers are programmed to update new Telstra modems with the correct username and password.

Highlighted

Just for forum info:

I replaced my Netgear D7000 with the Telstra Smart Modem LH1000 and it was very painless .....apart from when I logged on to the default wifi network (i.e. the wifi name/password on the fridge magnet in the Telstra supplied package)......the net seemed very slow.  The reason was that the default wifi network came up on my Windows10 laptop as an unmetered connection and promptly began to download a bunch of updates. Anyway I changed the default wifi network ID's to the same name as on my D7000 (&  set them to metered connections to limit Windows10 updates) and all the other devices (phones, range extender, etc) reconnected seamlessly .

You were right - the LH1000 automatically configured itself with the correct username/password.

Highlighted

Great that you came back to pass on your success story.

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Next step:

Have now received a text from Telstra requesting me to go through the procedure to connect to the nbn. That I will do this afternoon & it should go OK.

However I've been hunting around the internet in vain for a simplified technical description of what actually happens when, having plugged the nbn NTD into the phone socket, I power up the NTD. After I placed the order I have never seen a tech access the comms pit which is right outside my house -so I'm guessing that my existing adsl2+ copper pair is already connected to the DPU in the pit (?).  Did Telstra have to do something somewhere else to get my adsl2 line ready for the change?

When the ntd in my house begins to reverse power the dpu in the pit what happens (assume its all software/firmware automated)?

I'd just like to understand a little bit more than when the lights go the right colour & it works thats good enough.

Highlighted

The connection is automatic. When you connect the NBN NTD to the phone socket the power feed from the NTD operates a relay in the DPU in the street that switches your line from the house from the cable going back to the exchange to the VDSL port on the DPU. I been told that if it doesn't work you can disconnect the NTD and reconnect your Telstra modem and the connection should revert back to the ADSL connection.

Highlighted

Hmmm..  it could take a long time to explain all that Smiley Happy

Both NBN and Telstra are involved in the smoke and mirrors magic that enables your internet service upstream from you modem connection. These days I keep it simple with most people, knowledge of 'HOW' it does it is in the same category of how does the computer/microwave/television/car fuel injection/politicians minds/Alexa/Sonos/nest work..  i.e. do you really need to know all that?

Yes, things will need to be setup and ready for you to connect the NBN NTD, but it is usually ready to go and happens automatically. You have the NBN NTD box you said, is the a technician visit booked already? If not, you are set for a self installation.

In your case, your Smart Modem is already working with the DSL service connected directly so you have that as a fallback option plus the 4G Backup service if the NBN connection doesn't go to plan. It is always a good idea to check this works - disconnect the DSL cable (or if the NTD is operational, disconnect the WAN cable to the modem) and confirm it does switch over - Blue light on the front of the modem. It is slower of course, but it works for most things - telephone, email, browsing etc. but streaming can be a bit difficult.

If there is no tech visit booked, you set up the NTD, connect the DSL cable to it, then connect the NTD to the SM2 WAN port with an ethernet cable (if there are multiple ethernet ports on the NTD, start at #1 and if that doesn't work try the others).

If a tech visit is booked, then he will do all that for you..

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Thanks for responses.

I'm posting all this in the one thread so that anyone else doing a self installation switch from adsl2+ to FTTC can follow along:

The story so far:

A day ago I disconnected my Netgear D7000 & in its place connected & configured the Telstra Smart Modem Gen2. I reconfigured the Telstra default wifi SSID/psw to what I had on my D7000 and our 2 pc's, 2 phones & Belkin range extender all reconnected to the home wifi network without problem. To test the Telstra backup 4G connection to the internet I unplugged the Telstra box from the phone connection & it swapped over to the 4G without problem. It swapped back to the adsl2+ phone connection when I plugged that back in. All good.

This morning I received a text from Telstra:

"To complete your switch to the nbn network, please make sure that your Smart Modem & NBN Connection Box are plugged in as soon as possible & remain  powered on for at least 48hrs so we can test your connection to ensure it is working properly. When connected your Smart Modem will display a solid green light and your NBN Connection Box will display solid blue lights.  Need help refer to you setup guide or visit......"

All systems go to switch I thought......well as it turned out not quite as advertised.

Following the Telstra supplied nbn connection procedure I had been sent, I disconnected all the adsl2 side, plugged in the nbn box & powered it up.  The blue lights began to flash but after 30min except from the 240vac supply light none of the other lights went solid. There was no nbn connection & the Telstra box stayed on the 4G network. Problem with the nbn side I concluded, so I unplugged the nbn box & reinstated the adsl2 connections (all came back ok) and put in a call to the Telstra support centre to tell them no nbn.

What I learnt then is that "the work" had not been completed as I had not connected up the nbn & Telstra boxes?!!. A somewhat odd exchanged then followed as to how it was possible to test something which had not been completed.

But the scenario now is that my system is all powered up & connected as though the nbn is working - except that it isn't.  The nbn box is still flashing trying to connect but the Telstra modem is connected to the internet via the 4G system which is running at 19Mbps download speed. Sometime in the next 48hrs I expect Telstra will complete whatever it has to do, the nbn will connect up & the Telstra router will swap to the nbn WAN instead of the 4G. So all is good.

Lessons to be aware of:

1) "so we can test your connection to ensure it is working properly" doesn't necessarily mean that the nbn is there ready to connect & if it doesn't there is a fault.

2)If you plan to use a "bring your own router" without any backup 4G capability (like me if I had tried to continue using the D7000 for the change)  beware that during the time that Telstra say it may take to finish their side of the work (2 days) you will likely have have no internet access.

Seems to me that having the 4G capability is an advantage for Telstra  in the switch from adsl to nbn fttc (not sure if other RSP's have similar) --surprised they don't highlight this in their procedures.

Highlighted

The fact the not even the connection light on the NBN NTD turned solid blue tends to indicate there is either a fault or your phone line has not been connected to DPU. I expect you will need a NBN Tech visit before the NBN link is working.

For NBN to work your connection should show at least class 33 on the NBN site for NBN connection to be ready for transfer to NBN. I suspect you are at class 32

Class 30 The property will be serviced by FTTC technology.
Service Class 31 The property is within the FTTC footprint, copper lead in is required.
Service Class 32 The property is within the FTTC footprint. Copper lead in is present but not connected to DPU. An NCD is required.
Service Class 33 The property is within the FTTC footprint. Property is connected to DPU but an NCD is required.
Service Class 34 The property is within the FTTC footprint. It has previously been transferred to NBN and can transfer to a new provider without an installation appointment.

Highlighted

Is there somewhere (link) where I can check this class ?

When I go to the nbn site & input my address it says "ready to connect - contact RSP"

My Telstra account says in progress, that its sent me the hardware & the installation instructions.

This mornings Telstra text told me to connect.

Highlighted

You can check your service class here

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/nbn-poi/

I thought the information would also be available on NBN CO site.

Highlighted

Thanks.

Status according to aussiebroadband

Premises technologyFibre To The Curb
Premises service class33
Premises service class descriptionServiceable by FTTC, cut-in complete (NCD required)
Premises readinessReady to connect to the nbn!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit