Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra network node is down? can't report

Im trying to access my workplace's server. 

pinging this server times out from within my network. 

However, from all other sources it succeeds. 

Running a trace route, can clearly see its a fault within the Telstra network.

I have of course ... restarted my router. note that i have a static IP, so don't believe this will help much. 

Been trying very hard to contact a human in Telstra support to report this issue. No luck thus far. only robots.... and this issue has not resolved itself. (telstra has not identified the issue yet? so want to confirm it's been acknowledged. ) 

Any ideas, aside from that the live-support robot can offer.. would be very welcome! Smiley Happy  

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra network node is down? can't report

Looking at the trace route the fault appears to be outside the Telstra network. Ard you pinging an IP address or a URL. If pinging a URL you could try changing the modem's DNS IPv4 and IPv4 incase Telstra DNS is resolvoing the URL to the wrong IP address.

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

posted in error..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Hops 7 through 13 inclusive are the TPG network (AAPT, iiNet, TPGi), so I don't know how you can claim that the problem is "clearly a fault within the Telstra network".

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thanks Cf4, this is not a DNS issue. DNS resolves to IP correctly. 
Although this node may not be Telstra hardware, Telstra is routing me to this broken node. 
I'll refine my terminology, 'the network which Telstra is using, to supply service to their customers' 

Fault lies with Telstra.

(I work closely with a networking professional. He has confirmed this.)

More asking on advise on how to get Telstra's attention, to investigate/resolve this. 

Highlighted

I'll refine my terminology, 'the network which Telstra is using, to supply service to their customers' 

Highlighted

Could you post a trace route from another network?

Highlighted

Can you post a traceroute of how it is being routed when it does work?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Here's a snippet from my vodafone 3g.  (have several other examples. none of these seem to go via the tpg series though. e.g. use syd.aussiebb.net
Sry. bit secretive with the full IPs as this is a public forum. 

Although I appreciate your replies. Not sure there is anything you guys could do to help, with this further info? 
Except 'yes I agree, there is a broken node. bad route. Telstra's fault'  >.> 

Highlighted

If 13 is the final destination of the traceroute the problem could be due to your IP address being blocked by your work server's administrator. Both the good and the bad trace route are routed via bri-apt-wic-bras31-po20.tpgi.com.au.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit