Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 doesn't Broadcast 2.4 GHz

Answered

Hi

I have read a few posts with similar issues but couldn't really found a resolution. I am using Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 and I guess, from the beginning it doesn't broadcast 2.4 GHz which causes a lot of devices of mine not getting connected to the internet. However, the Gateway site shows 2.4 GHz as broadcasting.

Any advice/assistance is much appreciated!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 doesn't Broadcast 2.4 GHz

Is your modem the DJA0231? The modem model number is on left hand side of modems log in page. The 2.4 GHz WiFi band stopping broadcasting is a common problem with this modem and the modem should be replaced by Telstra under warranty.

To definitely prove the 2.4 GHz WiFi is not working suggest you disable band steering in modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi settings. This adds -5G to the modem's 5 GHz WiFi. If you only see the modem's WiFi signal ith -5G on devices that can connect then modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

+1 to this suggestion..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Is your modem the DJA0231? The modem model number is on left hand side of modems log in page. The 2.4 GHz WiFi band stopping broadcasting is a common problem with this modem and the modem should be replaced by Telstra under warranty.

To definitely prove the 2.4 GHz WiFi is not working suggest you disable band steering in modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi settings. This adds -5G to the modem's 5 GHz WiFi. If you only see the modem's WiFi signal ith -5G on devices that can connect then modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

Highlighted

Hi cf4

Thanks for your prompt response, it seems, the model No. is Arcadyan LH1000. I have already done what you suggested, 2.4 GHz SSID doesn't appear in any of my devices.

If I turn off Steering and then disable 5 GHz, there's no WiFi at all in my home. So it means, the device is faulty but I don't know how to ask them for replacement as they don't have a call center and chatting isn't giving me any resolutions. 

Highlighted

On the LH1000, if you log in to the User Interface, on the Advanced | Wi-Fi page. look for PMF switches which are probably enabled. This might cause some devices to not detect the  2.4 GHz band. Turn those switches OFF, save the settings and see it that helps. In a few cases, it has been necessary to power cycle (not reset) the Smart Modem.

For the devices that the above fix restores to service, you could look for updated W-Fi drivers which might be available and work with  the protected Mode Frames (PMF) feature.

I don't think cf4 is suggesting you turn off the 5 G band - he is saying that if you turn off band steering you will see two distinct bands with similar SSID names - the 5 GHz band will have -5G to the name. So you can select whichever band the device works best on.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Highlighted

Hi 

I understood that part, my Band Steering is always turned off but I never see the 2.4 GHz SSID, I disabled 5 GHz just to see if enabling 2.4 GHz works on its own, no luck.

I tried what you suggested but didn't find any PMF there.

Thanks!

Edit: I found WiFi PMS and it is turned off.

Highlighted

You have an LH1000? What firmware is it on? latest is 0.12.09r. 

This is in both 2.4 and 5 GHz pages..

Did you try a power cycle on the modem?

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Did the 2.4 GHz band ever work, or is this a recent failure?

Stevo 52
Highlighted

You can use the messaging function in the Get help section of the MyTelstra app to contact support. Leave a message for someone to contact you.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

+1 to this suggestion..

Stevo 52

Highlighted

Hi Steve

It never worked, mate. When I initially configured the WiFi, I didn't checked but I bought a Smart LED Bulb which didn't work as it couldn't get connected to 2.4 GHz and last week, I bought a Printer and same thing, it is not working in WiFi, this is when I did all the troubleshooting and realized that 2.4 GHz actually never worked and assuming it a Device issue.

Thanks!

Highlighted

Yep..  seems like a part DOA to me..  

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Hi Steve

After day long chat and lots of troubleshooting Telstra told me that they will sent a new device. Everything was done via their Message feature in the App. Took me nearly 7 hrs!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit