Wolp
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (LH1000) wifi signal too weak

Answered

With the recommended upgrade to Smart Modem Gen 2 i no longer have the WIFI range that I enjoyed previously with the TG799vac modem, making my Xerox printer, located a short distance away in my study, inaccessible to any of my devices. Only inconveniently moving the printer close to the modem maintains WIFI connectivity. Based on previous experience with Telstra i wonder if this is related to the recommendation to buy a WIFI booster for $12/month, or is this just my suspicious nature?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (LH1000) wifi signal too weak

The 2.4 GHz WiFi on your modem might be faulty as the modem has better WiFi than previous Trelstra modems. It is both faster and has better coverage. I have one of these modems and the 2.4 GHz WiFi covers the whole house (See WiFi Map below). There have been some reports of the Arcadyan modems with a weak WiFi signal  suggest you install a WiFi analyzer app on a PC or android device. If 2.4 GHz WiFi signal close to modem is below -30db them modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

LH1000_2.4GhzLH1000_5GHz

View solution in original post

cf4
Accepted Solution

I used the Telstra home dashboard app which has a WiFi Heat map function as one of its WiFi tools. It doesn't only work on Telstra network but will work on any WiFi network. It is free in the Apple app store and google play store. The Android version is better as it gives a more accurate map. This is due to the Android version being able to messure the strength of the signal, the noise and the speed of the link. The apple version only measures the physical speed of the link. This is due to apple not making the other measurements available to apps and is the reason there are no WiFi analyser apps in the apple app store. Up close to the modem the 2.4 GHz WiFi signal varies between -15db and -25 db depending on the device used and in the room furthest from modem signal is about -55 db. You should definitly get better than -45 db close to the modem and -85 db in your study. Signals below -75 db will not provide a reliable WiFi connection.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Accepted Solution

The 2.4 GHz WiFi on your modem might be faulty as the modem has better WiFi than previous Trelstra modems. It is both faster and has better coverage. I have one of these modems and the 2.4 GHz WiFi covers the whole house (See WiFi Map below). There have been some reports of the Arcadyan modems with a weak WiFi signal  suggest you install a WiFi analyzer app on a PC or android device. If 2.4 GHz WiFi signal close to modem is below -30db them modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

LH1000_2.4GhzLH1000_5GHz

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

I find the LH1000 have pretty decent coverage but still have a couple of Boosters on the network most to improve coverage outside and provide a little more speed over wi-fi. I found just small movements of the modem (and angle) had some effect with improving signal..  I would guess the printer is on the 2.4 GHz band? Have you turned off band steering to ensure you have two seperate bands and able to select the one you want for each device you connect? If you put 5GHz devices on that band, it might help the 2.4 GHz performance a wee bit.

The Boosters work seamlessly and you could have a look at the wi-fi guarantee offering - up to 3 boosters to ensure you get the coverage you want..  

https://www.telstra.com.au/aboutus/media/media-releases/telstra-wifi-guarantee

and  https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/extras/wifi-booster

Your other option might be a decent quality (>1GB) ethernet/powerline devices  to run your printer on 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Wolp

Many thanks Cf4, i don't know why i hadn't thought of the Wifi Analyzer. I downloaded an analyzer on my phone and sitting the phone on my modem gives a constant -45dB level. If you are correct and -30dB is the absolute minimum acceptable then it would seems that my modem is faulty. If i move 9m into my study where the printer is located the wifi signal drops to about -83dB. It's no wonder that the printer is struggling. Now i have the long torturous wait to call telstra and explain the situation and ask for a refund. I loved how you had a wifi map of your house showing both 5 & 2.4GHz signals. My downloaded app does not have such a fancy map option - as far as i can tell. How did you generate the map or what apps did you use. thanks again for the great help. Jon 

cf4
Accepted Solution

I used the Telstra home dashboard app which has a WiFi Heat map function as one of its WiFi tools. It doesn't only work on Telstra network but will work on any WiFi network. It is free in the Apple app store and google play store. The Android version is better as it gives a more accurate map. This is due to the Android version being able to messure the strength of the signal, the noise and the speed of the link. The apple version only measures the physical speed of the link. This is due to apple not making the other measurements available to apps and is the reason there are no WiFi analyser apps in the apple app store. Up close to the modem the 2.4 GHz WiFi signal varies between -15db and -25 db depending on the device used and in the room furthest from modem signal is about -55 db. You should definitly get better than -45 db close to the modem and -85 db in your study. Signals below -75 db will not provide a reliable WiFi connection.

aususa

This is the exact reason I logged onto crowd support. I got the Next Gen router sent to me because the other router died, but now my solar inverter, nor my printer, nor my computer if I'm in living room, can find the wifi signal and will not connect.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit