Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Telstra smart modem gen 2 - no network with 4G

Hi,

I have a new NBN connection and a relatively new Telstra smart modem. Since moving to NBN, we get intermittent disconnections due to unnotified work on the network. The smart modem appears to be working correctly, the green light goes to red and then changes to blue, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Our devices are not picking up any connection, which makes the Telstra modem a bit mute. It's frustrating as I work from home and before moving to the NBN, we had maybe one day a year with cable internet problems generally caused by a storm. Now it seems we have one day a week or more where the internet is erratic. I'd just like this smart modem to do the job that was promised. I've checked and we are in a 4G area.  Is it possible I need to do something more to it to make it work effectively? I'm up for ideas and solutions.

Thanks

Tina

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra smart modem gen 2 - no network with 4G

It could be that 4G for your modem has been disabled. If the 4G is used backup is used for an extended period it first gets throttled to 256 Kbps and eventual if still used the 4G backup is disabled. Suggest you ring Telstra support to check if 5G backup has been disabled and if it has to submit a web form to have backup restored. You should also lodge a fault as you should not intermittently lose the NBN link. What type of NBN connection do you have?

Highlighted

Hi, thanks for responding. I'll call Telstra with your suggestions to find out if it has been disabled.

We've never had the 4G/5G work successfully to my knowledge. How many hours would you expect to get out of the backup?  I thought perhaps that I might need to boost the signal?

We have a hybrid connection, and there was work being done in the area yesterday. It just seems like there is regular network maintenance in the area. More maintenance work is scheduled next week over 36 hours thereabouts. 

My work can be time-sensitive, so I want to have a reliable service and thought the Smart Modem would help with that. Perhaps I need another option?

Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

So correct me if I'm wrong you would be on a fixed wireless for internet & copper for your home phone?

Highlighted

I think Telstra allows 10 Gigabytes of data before Telstra disables the backup. Telstra backend is not smart enough to realize when there is an outage or a fault so if there is extended outage or fault the customers has to ring up to have 4G backup re enabled or throttling removed.

@MarethyuAS 

In fixed wireless NBN areas you have the option of keeping the existing copper landline and if you were on ADSL before you also have option of remaining on ADSL.

Highlighted

@cf4 yes I understand this you also have the option of moving back to ADSL for both the voice & internet service as well if you're on Fixed Wireless which is why I was wondering if Tiinsky is on FW for the internet as I've never heard it referred to as a hybrid connection

Highlighted

No, when I listed Hybrid, I was referring to Hybrid fibre-coaxial.  I live in an area where most houses had cable already installed. I don't think we'd survive with copper!  I've had so many problems with the copper phone line in the last 20 years.  We even had to get a Telstra techie out to replace it when we first moved in about 15 years ago as it had turned green where it ran in from the kerb resulting in lots of crackles and disconnections on the line.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn/network-technology/hybrid-fibre-coaxial-explained-hfc-3

Highlighted

I would raise an issue with Telstra Tech sup & request for a technician there is a $240 IF the issue is found to be a fault caused by you. Telstra won't charge you anything if it is an issue with the modem or NBN not cause by you also after that they would be able to organise an NBN tech but NBN like to cancel their Tech appointments quite often if the issue fixes itself

Highlighted

So, I called Telstra Support finally today as we had issues connecting (dropping in and out) and we were getting no signal from the Smart Modem even though it says it was working fine.

The support person had me reset the Telstra modem using a pin.

Our NBN internet then connected again (dropping back in) and the support person seemed to think this was the solution and brought the call to an end. I think this was just a timing issue rather than anything to do with resetting the modem as it went back offline about ten minutes later and we had no network again with the 4g.

I asked about the throttling during the call. The support person assured me it wasn't throttled even though we can't get any page or device to connect.

She organised for someone to come out tomorrow to do with the NBN connection (even though its been working now for 20 minutes). It was off intermittently between 5 pm and 6 pm AEST exactly.  I am not confident that Telstra Support knows what to do about the Smart Modem even though I was assured repeatedly that I would be given help. 

My modem is also telling me Telstra Air is active even though I've never activated it and have requested it not to be activated.  I logged into my Telstra account online this afternoon and confirmed that it was and deactivated it. This was about two hours before we began having connection issues.  The modem is again showing that Telstra air is activated.

So I still have no solution. Smiley Sad

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit