Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra smart modem Gen 2 stuck on mobile backup

I got Telstra smart modem Gen 2 a week ago and it seems to be stuck in mobile backup mode and the internet is very slow and now after a few days won’t load anything

Cheers for any help

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra smart modem Gen 2 stuck on mobile backup

The 4G backup gets throttled to 256 Kbps if used for extended period of time. Time remove throttling ring Telstra support and request a WEB form be submitted to remove throttling.

What type of internet connection do you have?

If its cable has the MAC address of the cable adapter been registered. To register the MAC address ring support and ask for cable activation. There is a label with the  MAC address ion the cable adapter.

If you have an ADSL connection make sure the correct username (Full primary bigpond email address) and password is entered in the Broadband PPPOE settings.

Highlighted

I’m trying to connect to the nbn
All the lights on the back of the modem are green except for wan/dsl which has no light and the light on the front is blue
Highlighted

What type of NBN connection do you have?

If its FTTN/B is the DSL port on the modem connected to a wall phone socket?

If its FTTP, HFC, Fixed radio or FTTC is WAN port of modem connected to NBN NTU?
Highlighted

I have the FTTN and yes the DSL port on the modem is connected to the wall phone socket
Highlighted

It could be a cabling fault or it might not be connected to Node and will require an NBN Co Tech to check the cable. If you have the DSL port connected to the phone wall socket and made sure there is nothing plugged into any spare phone sockets there is nothing else you can do apart from trying another wall phone socket if you have more than one phone socket.

Highlighted

Because new just moved in does the phone line point have to be activated? could that be why it’s not working ?
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Hello
Have you reset the modem and /or rebooted?
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted

Yes the phone point has to be activated. When you applied for a new service the Telstra consultant should have made arrangements for phone socket to be activated.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit