Paang
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 VS NETGEAR Orbi RBK23

Answered

Hello, I just join Telstra NBN using "Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2", which is working both cable and Wifi.

However I want to use my NETGEAR Orbi RBK23 onto it to increase the coverage.

Can anyone advise how to connect my Orbi RBK23 to the existing system?

(I tried to connect the Orbi to Telstra Smart Modem via cable, but the Orbi Router ring LED showed Solid magenta (means no access to the internet.)

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paang
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 VS NETGEAR Orbi RBK23

Thank you for your advice.

I have received assistance from NETGEAR engineer, and the problem is solved with Orbi modem reset. Below is the instruction from NETGEAR engineer:

=================================================================

You can set up the router to run as an access point (AP) on the same local network as your Telstra modem. 

To set up the Orbi router as an AP after you set up your Internet connection:

1. Use an Ethernet cable to connect the Internet port of RBR20 to a LAN port on your Telstra modem.
  2. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your Orbi network.
  3. Enter orbilogin.com. A login window opens.
  4. Enter the admin user name and password. (The user name is admin. The password is the one that you specified the first time that you logged in. The user name and password are case-sensitive.The BASIC Home page displays.)
  5. Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Router/AP Mode. (The Router/AP Mode page displays.)
  6. Select the AP Mode radio button.
  7. Select the IP address setting: • Get dynamically from existing router. The other router on the network assigns an IP address to this router while this router is in AP mode.
  8. Click the Apply button.
  9. Wait a few moments for Orbi to take new settings.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - general guideline as there are variations on the theme depending on your home application.

If you have FTTN/FTTB NBN, the Telstra Gen 2 modem handles the DSL connection. The Internet WAN socket on the Orbi Router (not Satellite unit which has no WAN socket)  is to be connected with a LAN cable to yellow LAN port of the Gen 2 modem. It should work out of the box as the Gen 2 modem uses an different IP address (192.168.0.1) than the Orbi Router (192.168.1.1) .

If you have HFC/FTTC/FTTP NBN, the Gen 2 modem will connect to the Internet with its WAN port. The Orbi Router Internet port will connect to the Telstra Gen 2 LAN port as above.

In these scenarios, after the Gen 2 modem is connected to the NBN, the Orbi Router may be replace the Gen 2 modem if desired or the Gen 2 modem can be connected as a client device off the Orbi Router to maintain the telephone service. There are other considerations depending on you application and there posts on various configurations on the CrowdSupport portal. 

Paang
Accepted Solution

Thank you for your advice.

I have received assistance from NETGEAR engineer, and the problem is solved with Orbi modem reset. Below is the instruction from NETGEAR engineer:

=================================================================

You can set up the router to run as an access point (AP) on the same local network as your Telstra modem. 

To set up the Orbi router as an AP after you set up your Internet connection:

1. Use an Ethernet cable to connect the Internet port of RBR20 to a LAN port on your Telstra modem.
  2. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your Orbi network.
  3. Enter orbilogin.com. A login window opens.
  4. Enter the admin user name and password. (The user name is admin. The password is the one that you specified the first time that you logged in. The user name and password are case-sensitive.The BASIC Home page displays.)
  5. Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Router/AP Mode. (The Router/AP Mode page displays.)
  6. Select the AP Mode radio button.
  7. Select the IP address setting: • Get dynamically from existing router. The other router on the network assigns an IP address to this router while this router is in AP mode.
  8. Click the Apply button.
  9. Wait a few moments for Orbi to take new settings.

View solution in original post

Mkrtich

Thanks for your feedback and handy to know. Does this mean you only have the main Router then and not the two satellites - I thought that model number was a three pack.

I may have incorrectly assumed you had an Orbi Router and two Orbi Satellites for an add-on Orbi enabled WiFi Mesh network and that if the Orbi was set up as an Access Point linked to the Telstra Modem, the two Satellites would not Mesh to the Orbi Router - like the Google Nest WiFi units. It may be different with current Netgear functionality which may allow Satellites to bond to the Orbi  when the primary unit is set to Access Point mode.

Let us know if you have two Satellites and if they Mesh OK to the Orbi in Access Point mode in case others have a similar requirement in the future.  

Paang

Sorry for late reply.

Yes, I have 1 Orbi Router and two Orbi Satellites. Working normally with the setup I mentioned above.

My setup is:

NBN connection box -> Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 -> Orbi Router (set as AP) -> 2x Orbi Satellites (Mesh connected)

Mkrtich

Thank you for the feedback which hopefully will assist others in the future.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit