Level 4: Private Eye

Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 - GUI blank

Answered

I have found that when accessing my Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 - that I am not able to view any details of anything on it. The modem is all working well, that is that I am able to access the internet etc. see image. You will note that I am not able to select anything and drill down further. I have 2 days ago reset the modem to factory defaults to access the password. Since then I am able to get in and see nothing.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 - GUI blank

Today I was about to hit the Telstra shop and speak to a human who understands what I am talking about and get this resolved. Before making my way out of the house, I thought I should check the modem.. 

WOW - f/ware has been updated, ( i went from 0.0.01 to 0.11.11r overnight) and I can continue to social distance from a non lockdown suburb in Melbourne. See attached. I can now access the GUI within all the functions etc and no network and device changes required. Now I can set static IP addresses to the devices I want to access on a regular basis and get on with the world of Tech. 

Thank you again for your prompt responses. I am not sure what worked, however I certainly did not make any changes to the h/ware or s/ware and the only thing I did was send multiple complaints from any access point within Telstra as to their level of customer service and their use of the SMS app. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Thank you for all your assistance. I have found that the GUI on the modem/router has been resolved. I have Factory reset the BOSE Sound 30 music system, which was causing me the issues. After Factory resetting it and connecting it to the wireless network, I was still able to access the GUI without any issues. It was definately the BOSE Sound 30 system, that was causing me issues on the network and it has now all been resolved - by performing a Factory resetting the BOSE 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
50 REPLIES 50
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Is this happening with all browsers and on just one connected devices or just one? What model Gen 2 modem do you have? There are two models DJA0231 and LH1000

Highlighted

All I have workjed out what has happened and need further assistance. I have connected an additional router on my network. I have the Telstra Smart Modem Version 2, which is the main modem and the internet gateway for my whole network. 

However I have further down in the network a Netgear Modem D7000,

-Modem on the Netgear (deactivated)

-DHCP on the Netgear (deactivated)

I am just using the Netgear D7000 as a Wireless Access Point and the 4 Ethernet ports on the rear. Therefore connecting the WAN port on the rear of the Netgear to the Ethernet conneciton on the Telstra Smart Modem.

The Netgear has been activated as an AP (Access Point) - Wireless and allows wireless connections to the internet - receiving the IP from the DHCP server on the Telstra modem. All works well, and the internet for all devices is all working without any issues. The Telstra modem wireless and wired devices all work as they should. The Netgear D7000 wired/wireless devices all work well. 

However when I connect to the Telstra modem - to view the devices attached to it etc. I get nothing. See attached picture. When I disconnect the Netgear D7000 from the Telstra modem the access to the modem and all of the functionality works as normal. WHY?

Can someone please assist me as to why this occurs?

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Yours is the second post I have seen with this condition. It seems if the modem hesitates to send the full page as a re-transmission. On my Arcadyan, after I enter my admin User Name and Password in, I get the same screen as you do for half a second and then it proceeds to retransmit the full first Basic Screen page. It does the same thing if I then select the Advanced screen page.

Is the device you are attempting to access it from hardwired to the Telstra modem or the Netgear modem?  Does the same result occur  on both? You may have a faulty modem.

I don't know what applications you are running on your network. Does it occur if you connect the two modems  LAN <-> LAN? As I understand your post, the Netgear and all devices connected to it are getting their DHCP assigned IP Addresses from the Telstra modem, so is there a need to use the WAN port and its router function in the Netgear?. 

Highlighted

Are you able to log into modem using its IPv6 local link address and display the full GUI?

example http://[fe80::be30:d9ff:feb8:93f]

Highlighted

Mkrtich, thank you for the reply..

I am technical so no fear in accessing the modem router and IP setup. Been in Networking over 30 years. 

when I access the modem, after the username password, I get the screen I posted.

If, I factory reset, and access the same way, I get details for around 5 minutes and then as I move around to various functions within the modem, I am displayed with the screen image posted.

So I only get to see a map of my network and devices for 5 minutes after a factory reset.

The PC I am accessing it from, is directly connected to the Arcadyan modem, and I have tried from wireless devices and other devices on the network. Same results.

I thought the Netgear connected to the Arcadyan was the issue, however I removed it from the testing and found it had no affect to my problem. The Netgear being removed from the network, still caused the Arcadyan to fail, as described.

Highlighted

I have the LH1000 and it is happening on all browsers and multiple, PCs

@cf4 wrote:

Is this happening with all browsers and on just one connected devices or just one? What model Gen 2 modem do you have? There are two models DJA0231 and LH1000

Highlighted

Thanks for your feedback. Suggest to contact Telstra and see if they can remedy the freeze by remote access or replace the modem. The only thing I can think of that we haven't ascertained is your existing firmware level - current level is 0.10.05r and a new one is expected to be released in the near future 0.11.08r. If yours is at an earlier state, Restarts and Factory Reset from within the system's GUI page can sometimes trigger an Update.

Highlighted

Mkrtich, thank you for your ongoing support. Yes - I have reset the modem back to factory defaults - and have found that just after an update - the f/ware is returned back to 0.0.1 and now remains at this version as per the initial page - see attached. 

Highlighted

When you say contact Telstra - wow - that is an experience in itself. They are absolutely useless. They almost need training in IP Networking and have no idea of what to do? With the new interface for Assistance from Telstra - this SMS type of messaging and discussions, I have placed a call at 14:00 - and then I receive a response at 14:30 - to tell me that they will get an expert to work on it - in broken English, and then I receive a message that the Premium support team will charge for assistance to assist me with Enabling DHCP on the router so that they can resolve. WTF? I told them that they are to get someone technical as they do not understand what they are talking about.. Then all quiet until 00:30 am, to tell me that they are working on my issue as they have found an outage and drop in my internet connection. I told them the DROPS are me resetting the modem. Their response.. OK - we are working on it. Then at 01:30 am they respond, and I tell them to leave me alone.. I am trying to get some sleep. So from 14:00 - till 01:30 almost 12 hours - no bloody idea. 

Very annoying.. 

Highlighted

Sorry to read about your experiences with the support centre - it seems it is a luck of the draw.  I have never seen an Arcadyan modem firmware level at that early stage of life - unless it is showing a false status version, it implies it is at first production level or Alpha factory version. The earliest in field release version I have seen was V 0.04.14r. I think what the call centre may have been referring to is transferring you to Telstra Platinum support, they have to advise you it is chargeable if there is no fault found - I think $15 per incident? It should not take them long to establish that there is something obviously wrong with the current modem status showing 0.00.01. This group is the only section that can remote push a forced upgrade to your modem if deemed appropriate. In addition to call centre staff, they should be able to authorise a replacement modem to be shipped to you if they think that is the best solution given your circumstances. Some upgrades are successive and others seem to leapfrog previous versions. Given its current status, I am amazed it is functioning without issue as later versions took a while to settle down. Unfortunately, you will have to contact Telstra again.  

It seems to be a good idea to have a back up modem, I have one just in case - some people have received multiple modems from Telstra for reasons unknown and don't know what to do with them, so they sell them on eBay or Gumtree - if the irritation is causing too much stress, you may wish to buy a unused modem or rarely used one as a stop gap - usually under $50.  

Highlighted

Thank you for the detailed responses, and prompt replies. You have been very helpful , and I will take your advice and let you know how I go..

Highlighted

I have tried over 5 days to make sense of Telstra support using their SMS support. That app, is absolutely shocking and useless. Connecting to unqualified support staff. I have told them numerous times that I need the f/ware updated. They go around in circles and then they drop the call - and telling me to see a pc support person. How absolutely useless service and run around. Trying to make contact with Telstra as a Technical person is so frustrating. I feel sorry for the average person who has no technical knowledge as to where and how to get support. 

I was on the phone to Telstra on the 132200 - and I was on hold for over an hour. And they keep sending me the APP for me to connect to and tryong to get resolution. I cannot believe that there is no-one Ican speak to - who understands what I have been saying. One person gave me access to some website - which looked like it was going to have f/ware - however the site was permission locked and he would not provide me access?? 

Highlighted

Saddened by reading about your attempt to get this resolved - shame they just couldn't arrange to replace the modem as there is obviously something wrong with it. In the My Telstra App - is it possible for you to use the Blue Message Icon to send a message demanding a replacement modem stating to only to contact you back during business hours in Australia.  Someone is supposed to respond to your message. 

In the interim until it is sorted, not an ideal outcome - If the Arcadyan is working fine and you have a phone service connected to it, it is possible to swap over the order - make your Netgear D7000 the primary router ( via DSL port or converted LAN port to WAN status if non NBN DSL link)  and connect the Arcadyan as an Access Point with VoIP. Telstra modems behind other routers are suppose to auto update but that may not work on yours if the modem update software is broken.  Don't know if the Netgear supports SIP ALG - forum suggestions usually state to disable that feature on the primary modem so as not to interfere with Telstra VoIP. 

Highlighted

Mkrtich, 

If you have ever used the SMS type app that Telstra seem to have as the ONLY option for support, is like having a discussion with a 1/2 Robo 1/2 un-educated person, let alone IT professional. Their Engilish is shockingly obvious and their ability to access any Telstra services is non-existent. The only worthwhile part of the support APP, is the history that remains on your desktop of all the discussions which makes it a LAUGH..

Thanks for the update in swapping the modem around, I will perform this and let you know what occurs. Today I will hit the Telstra store and see if I can get someone to assist me in getting REAL help. 

Thanks again for your prompt response -

Highlighted

I have also posted on the Whirlpool Website as there is a Forum that is running on the f/ware issue for over a year - with no results on what is the solution. If you perform a search for the forum Subject - Arcadyan LH1000 firmware upgrade

Highlighted

Interesting to see that two Whirlpool posts mention yesterday that they already have the new firmware 0.11.08 r which has yet to be made available for general release. 

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Today I was about to hit the Telstra shop and speak to a human who understands what I am talking about and get this resolved. Before making my way out of the house, I thought I should check the modem.. 

WOW - f/ware has been updated, ( i went from 0.0.01 to 0.11.11r overnight) and I can continue to social distance from a non lockdown suburb in Melbourne. See attached. I can now access the GUI within all the functions etc and no network and device changes required. Now I can set static IP addresses to the devices I want to access on a regular basis and get on with the world of Tech. 

Thank you again for your prompt responses. I am not sure what worked, however I certainly did not make any changes to the h/ware or s/ware and the only thing I did was send multiple complaints from any access point within Telstra as to their level of customer service and their use of the SMS app. 

Highlighted

I just found what has caused the error. 

I have assigned static IP addresses to my required devices. All saved and working well. 

Moved on to the Wireless AP and changed the SSID from the Telstra assigned one, to a more meaningful name, SAVED it and it created the same issue. Need to factory reset the device and see what occurs next. 

Highlighted

What is the model of the wirless AP?

Highlighted

It is a LH1000 Arcadyan 

Highlighted

Have you changed the LAN IPv4 address of the Arcadyan and also disabled the firewall and LAN IPv6? See section 33 of document attached to this post.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/telstra-smart-modem-gen-2-arcadyan-version-lh...

Highlighted

Wow - I had heard about this manual and I will refer to you - well done, and I will get back to you..

Highlighted

Well congratulations are in order! That was some leapfrog update - haven't seen 0.11.11r mentioned on the forum until now. Hopefully things will settle down now. 

Highlighted

I suspect the LH1000 did not have 0.0 01 as the firmware but due to an IP conflict the browser was not loading all the information from the modem. I suspect an IP from the access point was causing the problem and not faulty firmware.

Highlighted

Well after a Factory Reset - I have found myself - back in the same position. Version of the f/ware as 0.0.01 and unable to access the functionality of the modem - within. I have noted that you have said that there maybe an IP conflict. In the scenario that I have provided DHCP to all devices - an IP conflict is impossible unless I have provided MAC address to IP static and have incorrectly assigned. Upon a factory reset I would assume that all of these settings if incorrect would all disappear? Now I am awaiting for a f/ware update - and I am not sure how this occurs?

Highlighted

To check that it is not an IP conflict turn off WiFi and only connect a PC or Mac to the modem via an Ethernet port.

Do you have two LH1000 and were using one as an access point? That would have caused the IP conflict. When you replied you were using an LH1000 as an access point I assumed you had two.

Highlighted

II do not have two LH1000 - just one. I use the LH1000 as an access point Wireless as well as wired  - with DHCP server. I will try what you have suggested and report back. As of today the f/ware remains as 0.0.01. I will also try the 30/30/30 reset 

Highlighted

I just performed a long reset. Held down the RESET pin for 30 seconds. Before I perfomed the Reset I checked the f/ware version - it was 0.0.01. After performing the 30 second reset as noted above, and the modem returned to normal operating with internet connectivity. I checked the f/ware version - immediately 0.11.11r. I changed the Wireless SSID to a more logical meanngful id and now waiting to see what the modem will do, if I will be locked out. 

Highlighted

OK - I managed to work out that there is something on the Wifi-Network that is causing the issue. I have managed to get the f/ware up to date with the 30/30/30 approach on the reset and now have the f/ware to version 0.11.11r. I have turned off all wireless on the modem, and will be monitoring the modem, for a day. Then I will enable wireless and add devices one by one, to see the cause if any?

Highlighted

Hi - it seems you have an very unstable modem and I am now not sure if it is actually operating at the firmware it is displaying on the welcome page; all entries have been combinations of 0 and 1's.  Did you eventually send a text message in My Telstra App asking for a replacement modem?

At the risk of causing further disturbance to your modem's stability, which may only be corrected by another factory reset, it is possible to review what is happening inside and verify what modem firmware level is showing sometime after boot-up or other processes and see if it has actually been upgraded to 0.11.11r by examining the System Log entries - Advanced/Log Icon. The log file may show previous firmware levels that would have digits other than a 1. Look for lines that include TR-069 which are Telstra remote management push entries into the modem . You may see the firmware level there and other event log history that shows what occurs when you changed the SSID name. If the modem has a peculiar software corruption, it may not reveal worthy System Log entries.

Highlighted

PS: the GUI view of the log file only shows you a few pages. You can see more historical pages of the Log file by exporting it to a .txt file and importing it into a spreadsheet for viewing and colour highlighting lines for easier review. 

Highlighted

Thank you - I now have a plan - as I have identified the culprit that is causing this issue. It is a BOSE SounTouch device. I have it turned off  and watch the modem/router. I have no issues. I then turn on the BOSE SounTouch device and it acquires an IP and connect to the Wireless AP of the Telstra Modem Router - and then I lose connection to the GUI and all of its functionality. 

The BOSE SoundTouch works well over Wireless no issues, streams connects to World radio etc. As per normal.

So, I decide to connect the SoundTouch device with an Ethernet cable and remove it from the Wireless devices of the Telstra Modem. As soon as it connects, again the modem/router functionality GUI is lost.

Again, 

The BOSE SoundTouch works well over Ethernet no issues, streams connects to World radio etc. As per normal.

I even connected the BOSE SoudTouch to another Wireless Access Point on the same network and the same occurred to the Telstra Modem GUI - blank from any functionality and yet the BOSE worked without any issues.

IP Conflict  - maybe - but I cannot see.. 

Will setup Static IP addresses - for devices of importance and include this in the list and further investigate.. 

Highlighted

Good diagnosis. Out of left field for possible additional testing - is the Arcadyan broadcasting one common SSID for both the 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz bands or two separate ones? If the Bose is limited to 2.4 Ghz, it is possible to Disable Band Steering in the 2.4 Ghz page and SAVE to show both bands and link the Bose to its preferred band. @cf4  may be able to verify if my memory serves me well - I think in one of the previous posts, a Foxtel iQ unit was eventually found to be the cause of havoc in a network - maybe causing a Gen 2 modem to restart? - can't recall details or if it was fixed. 

Highlighted

It could be the IPv6 address causing the conflict. To check if its the IPv6 address try disabling IPv6 in the modem. To disable IPv6 Go to Advanced > Local Network > Local Network IPv6.

Highlighted

cf4 - is there any way to see the list of assigned IPv6 addresses via the modem or via an application such as FING - to see the results before I make any changes - CURIOUS I am. 

Highlighted

There should be a list of all the IPv6 and IPv4 addresses in modem's GUI at Go to Advanced > Local Network > Devices. This only lists the Global IPv6 addresses (Addresses starting with 2001:xxxxxxxxx. It does not list any Local IPv6 address.

Highlighted

Thank you - so much - I have turned it off and will be testing. 

Highlighted

OK -  I have been working on this ALL day. I have definitely found the issue - but have not found the solution. The BOSE SoudTouch Player definitely is causing the Modem / Router to act up in funny ways and that is - It kills the modem / router and does not allow you to access the modem router GUI. I have created Static IP addresses for my most important devices on the network - routers/devices that I need to access their GUI. I even configured the BOSE SoundTouch to have its own. WIth IPv6 turnd off (DISABLED) I connected the BOSE SoudTouch device to the modem router and the Router's GUI blanked out, the minute it assigned the IP address.. Luckily I had saved the Modem/Router cfg file, and performed a hard reset (30 seconds) reloaded the last cfg file and all good again. I will need to look at the SoundTouch, as this is the 2nd SoundTouch we have on the network and it may be that it has some f/ware issues.. Will let you all know soon.. Thank you for your support .. The SoudTouch that is the issue is the following - https://www.domayne.com.au/bose-soundtouch-30-series-iii-wireless-music-system-black.html

Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Suggest you factory reset the Bose sound system so that it forgets all its wifi Access points (ieSmiley FrustratedSID). Make sure that the app on your phone is on the same network as Sound system when setting up.

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”
Highlighted

Good work in tracking down the device causing the problem. There have been at least 4 other posts from people with the same problem with the LH1000. Don't know if the others had a Bose sound system connected.

The fact that the modem requires a factory reset and is not fixed by a factory reset and is not fixed by disconnecting the Bose sound system or rebooting modem tends to indicate the Bose sound I'd changing a setting in the modem. The only way I know of that a device can do this is using UPNP. If resetting Bose sound system doesn't fix problem you could try Disabling UPNP (  Go to Advanced > Local Network > UPNP).

Highlighted

cf4 - thank you for your reply. I will endeavour to further look into this, as I hate having a device that is not able to be connected to the network. It is the only device I am not able to jon on the network - whether wireless or Wired - as it faults the Modem/Router - in terms of GUI (only). Finctionality of the modem/router is normal - however - you cannot look into the modem/router for any details. 

I will post on the BOSE forum, and await for any responses. I will also factory reset the BOSE. I will await for any responses on the BOSE forums - and gather some informaiton for next steps. Which will include your suggestion of UPNP

Highlighted

From a security perspective I suggest disabling UPNP. 

Also Router gui -advanced - local network shows all connected devices with ip4 and ipv6 addresses For all devices if you have enabled local ipv6.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Thank you for all your assistance. I have found that the GUI on the modem/router has been resolved. I have Factory reset the BOSE Sound 30 music system, which was causing me the issues. After Factory resetting it and connecting it to the wireless network, I was still able to access the GUI without any issues. It was definately the BOSE Sound 30 system, that was causing me issues on the network and it has now all been resolved - by performing a Factory resetting the BOSE 

Highlighted

That's a welcome update for us all. As a matter of interest, is the modem still showing 0.11.11r firmware? Mine is still on 0.10.05r and I have seen another one version 0.10.08r mentioned on Whirlpool. 

Highlighted

Latest firmware is 0.11.11r. There is at least one other post with the firmware 0.11.11r. See last post in this thread.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/telstra-smart-modem-gen-2-arcadyan-version-lh...

Highlighted

This morning I discovered my LH:1000 upgraded to 0.11.11r_build01-R0A yesterday. No changes to features or menu options observed, hopefully maybe bug fixes. 

Highlighted

My LH1000 firmware updated this morning. Checked logs...

10.07.2020 04:32:25 TR069: Firmware LH1000_0.11.11r_build01_R0A_debug.w.ArcSigned download successfully.

Highlighted

Thanks. It's good to see Telstra updating the firmware on a regular basis to improve features or fix issues - on past events, it seems like it is happening every three months or so.  

Highlighted

Mkrtich, As you have noted - yes - my f/ware remains at 0.11.11r. Also I must say that I have found that if you wish to force a f/ware check & then if there is a f/ware to be updated - a f/ware update as a result, then you will need to hold down the RESET switch for 30 seconds. I have tried less than 30 seconds and my f/ware is not updated etc. 

I am confident with the number of RESETS that I have done, that only a 30 Second RESET (holding down the RESET switch down for 30 seconds) only works and will ensure that the f/ware will be updated if required. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit