Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra Smart Moden Gen 2 Fixed Wireless connection trouble

I have recently moved house and relocated my NBN from FTTH to Fixed Wireless. As a part of the Move Service Telstra sent out a Smart Modem Gen 2 (Technicolor DJA0231). My old connection was disconnected as per schedule and the new modem was scheduled to be connected on the 8th of May. I have only been able to connect to NBN through the backup 4G connection using the SIM card.

In fault finding the connection I have tried disabling the 4G backup hoping that the WAN connection would come up eventually but it never does. I tried to log a fault by calling Telstra but according to the automated process on the phone it isn't important at the moment.

I get assigned an IP address between 211.26.0.0 and 211.26.255.255 which is a VOCUS-RETAIL-AU IP. When I connect my old TG737 I think it is I was assigned IP between 1.120.0.0 and 1.127.255.255 which is TELSTRAINTERNET49-AU and I could connect to the internet. 

I don't understand why my older modem connects and the new one doesn't when they are both set to DHCP and had factory resets done. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Telstra Smart Moden Gen 2 Fixed Wireless connection trouble

Old Technicolour modem

New Telstra Gen 2

Level 24: Supreme Being

Are you connecting both modem's to the same UNI-D port on the Fixed wireless indoor unit.

Level 21: Augmented

Hi - could you clarify what these screen images show - one appears to be connecting to 3G - there is no Wi-Fi symbol on both of them - are you indeed Wi-Fi connected and the usuau symbol is just not showing on your phone model?

Maybe the previous owner of your new residence was a customer of iPrimus or an Optus RSP who had links with Vocus and your NTD has not been activated by Telstra but still active on the previous RSP network. With your Fixed Wireless NTD, do you have 4 Green LEDs On or Flashing - is the Online LED to the left of the three signal strength LEDs ON steady green? 

Have you received an email from Telstra to advise you that your service has been activated and that you can connect to the NTD a certain UNII-D port. Unfortunately you will have to contact Telstra to confirm your status - you may find the new My Telstra App be be a handy alternative way to lodge a message - I haven't used it myself but have read the information that Telstar have on it. 

When testing they have both been connected to port 1 on the NBN Co NTD separately, never at the same time. I have just left the cable plugged into the NTD and switched the modems over (and power cycled the NTD).

Hi Mkrtich. Disregard the symbols specific to the phone at the top right, they are irrelevant. I took a screen shot of a screen shot so the only relevant information is where the time is 5:12 or 5:14 and below. It was really just to show the IP address assigned through the fixed wireless NTU.

I can connect to the internet through the NBN NTU using my old Technicolour TG7x7 modem but not the new Gen 2 sent out by Telstra. From memory there are two steady green LED's for the signal strength, one flashing LED next to it when the Telstra modems (either one) are connected and another green LED further to the left. 

Yes, I have received an email saying it was setup.

I have tried the My Telstra App and found it less than helpful hence posting on here.

All LEDs are healthy then. I assume your Telstra Gen 2 is not set for PPPoE with your User Name and ID but the WAN is on DHCP, IPoE with no user name and password required and the DNS Servers are on Telstra default. From a CMD screen, can you ping google.com successfully from a PC connected to a LAN port of the Gen 2 modem? Is there a successful connection with negligible or nil packet loss in the result - if no connection, you may have a faulty WAN port on the modem?

On the back of the Telstra modem what colour are the lights when it is plugged into the NBN NTD.

If you connect your old modem to the NTD and connect Telstra modem to a LAN port of the old modem does it connect on the WAN port?

Actually, my username and password are in the new Gen 2 modem and the connection type is PPPoE, It received an IP address 211.26.112.33 but there is no internet connection. I tried to ping 8.8.8.8 and it goes nowhere.

On my old TG7x7 modem it has the same username and password but its connection type was IPoE for some reason and I was able to connect to the internet. I was assigned IP address 1.121.151.158 and could ping google. A traceroute on this showed a hop to Telstra network equipment in Melbourne and Sydney.

I have included the original screenshots for reference that I should have included previously. I didn't include them as they have my username.

Have you tried to set the Gen 2 modem's WAN to DHCP and IPoE instead of PPPoE to see if it works without your credentials. This is how Telstra does NBN HFC, FTTN, FTTC - all IPoE and no user ID and password required. I just assumed it was consistent across all Telstra NBN services - it would be good to have confirmed.

Some RSP's continue to use their ADSL PPPoE settings for their NBN and Broadband services offerings. 

Those settings are not configurable and it doesn't let the user (me) have a blank username and password field... I was under the impression NBN doesn't require the username and password to connect.

Thanks for the reply cf4. ONLINE and WAN/DSL are both green with it is plugged in via ethernet cable. The modem thinks it is connected but I seem to be getting to an NBN firewall that says I am "in the process of being connected" or something to that effect.

Some ISPs use PPPOE but you are correct a Telstra NBN connection does not require a user name and password and modem should automatically detect detect connection type as a DHCP IPOE connection.

Can you connect your old modem to the NTD and connect Telstra modem to a LAN port of the old modem, This will check if WAN port is faulty. If Telstra modem connects it might also allow it to download any firmware updates.

So I tried a few things tonight which included getting the old TG797 to connect to the internet. It turns out that the UNI-D port 1 wont allow a connection to the internet and it gives me a vocus assigned IP (this is a key point wink wink). When I connect to the UNI-D port 2 with the old TG797 it connected to Telstra internet. I conencted the new Gen 2 modem to the old TG797 and connected to its wifi. I was able to connect to the internet with the new Gen 2 through the old TG797 proving that the LAN port is functioning correctly. I connected the new Telstra Gen 2 modem to the UNI-D port 2 on the NBN Co NTD and viola it was assigned a Telstra IP and I could connect to the internet.

Now this made me retrace my steps back as I thought I had always plugged into UNI-D port 1 but maybe I didn't, and when the old modem worked on the 5th of May it may have been connected to UNI-D port 2.

So, problem solved I guess. I assume the NBN Co UNI-D ports are configured individually? I am a little embarrased about this actually as I am normally thorough with fault finding (I am a tech by trade and work on cisco routers and switches occasionally). For future reference, can the NBN Co NTD be reset to a factory defauly somehow?? Would this clear the what I assume is a configured port on UNI-D #1?

Resetting the NTD will alter the UNI-D service assignment. The UNI-D port assignment is set by NBN programming.

Good news that all ended up well on UNI-D2 and nothing wrong with the Gen 2 modem. It may be that the previous owner was with Vocus and UNI-D1 was assigned to them and kept by NBN for unknown reasons or oversight. In Fixed Wireless installations, I have read that, subject to the agreement of the owner of the premises, a neighbour who does not have direct line of sight issues and unable to have NBN as a result, can be assigned one of the spare UNI-D ports, allowing two NBN services to be run from the same ODU Antennae and NTD.

You may encounter future power interruptions - it will be interesting to see if port assignment is maintained. The Fixed Wireless Modem is in the Outdoor Unit, it gets its power from the NTD and I would have thought its program settings would be set in protected memory - unaware?

You don't need to worry about a power interruption causing the port assignment to change. When I worked for Telstra the services assigned to the  ports on the customer equipment was done in the central switch. At first this was done physically as each port on the customer premises had a corresponding port in the central switch and this was jumped to the required service. Later is was done using electronic switches. The port assignment will only change if NBN co reprogram the port assignment.

That is handy information to know.

One noteworthy point is that I never had a power supply for the NTD either. The previous owner of the house must have taken it. I emailed NBN Co as that was the only method of making contact I could find. I never received an acknowledgement or reply. I asked Telstra about it who said contact NBN Co...

I ended up buying the parts to make the power supply for the NTD. Maybe because it was powered off for the first few weeks of me being there they (NBN Co) don't know if port 1 was being used or not so they just added my Telstra config to UNI-D2? It doesn't matter really as it is working now and my wife & kids are happy Smiley Happy

The battery backup is an optional extra. There might never have been a battery backup installed.

All good. We have learnt that power disruption shouldn't impact matters and it is not always UNI-D1 which is the active port. The port assignment would have been handy to be included by Telstra in their email when they confirmed it was ready for connection. All the best.  

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit