Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra Smartmodem Gen 2 and Luxul XAP-1410 wireless access router

Answered

Hi,

I just have my modem changed to Smartmodem Gen 2 by an NBN technician. I just realised that I can not access my wireless router since the change. Is there a network setting I had to change?

A second question: is the Smartmodem has better coverage than wireless access router?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smartmodem Gen 2 and Luxul XAP-1410 wireless access router

Don't change the IP address. The default IP address of Luxul XAP-1410 is 192.168.0.10 which is different from the Gen 2 modem. You should be able to access the Luxul XAP-1410 by going to http://192.168.0.10. If you change it to 10.0.0.150 it want work.

There is a manual at the link below. 

Luxul/WS-100/WS-100.pdf (avbportal.com)

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
39 REPLIES 39

Did you reset the Luxul XAP-1410 access point? The access point has probably been set up with a static IP outside the IP range of the modem. Resetting the access will set IP to 192.168.0.10 which is within IP range of smart modem.

The Smart modem has faster WiFi 2300ac compared to 1200ac. It has good WiFi coverage but I don't if the coverage is better than the Luxul XAP-1410.

Hi cf4,

Thank you for your reply...

I suspected is the IP address issue. How do you reset the Luxul? I unplugged the Ethernet (PPoE) cable, and plug

it back in?

To reset access point:

With the XAP-1410 powered on, press and hold the Reset button for 10 seconds, then release the button and the XAP-1410 will restore factory defaults and reboot. The Reset button is located underneath the mount and marked RESET

Hi

I reset the access point, but still can not get access to the access point.

I can connect to the wireless access point's SSID (as it is unsecured now), but it times out. 

How do I connect to change the security of the access point?

Hi cf4.

I managed to get it to the access point now... resetting the Wifi. 

Let's see how it goes.Thank you for your help!

Hi cf4,

Sorry for all the questions. 

I have reset the modem, accessed the Luxul, and change the setting. However, the luxul router IP address is the same as the SmartModem Gen 2. (192.168.0.1)

Before we changed to the Smart Modem, the  Luxul's IP address was 10.0.0.150. I can not remember where do I put this address in the Luxul's setting. Whenever I do this, the wifi signal would cut off and I could not get any internet. I had to reset the modem again and changed it back to default.

However, with the default setting, I am back to square 1, as I can not access the Luxul setting again.

Where did I go wrong?

Accepted Solution

Don't change the IP address. The default IP address of Luxul XAP-1410 is 192.168.0.10 which is different from the Gen 2 modem. You should be able to access the Luxul XAP-1410 by going to http://192.168.0.10. If you change it to 10.0.0.150 it want work.

There is a manual at the link below. 

Luxul/WS-100/WS-100.pdf (avbportal.com)

View solution in original post

The  Gen 2 modem IP address is: http://192.168.0.1 and my Luxul is 192.168.0.10

I still can not see the Luxul modem setting after is set up the wireless setting. ie changing the SSID from the default Luxul to a private SSID with WPA security.

in the manual, it says: "if another device on your network shares the 192.168.0.10 address, you’ll need to temporarily reassign or remove that device while you configure the XAP-1410." The other device is a router, and the Luxul won;t work if I reassign?

How do I resassign the Gen2 modem to another IP address?

Cheers,

192.168.0.1 is not the same as 192.168.0.10. They are different IP address. The smart Modem can be accessed by going to http://192.168.0.1. To access the Luxul go to http://192.168.0.10.

If you can't access the luxul at http://192.168.0.10 there might be another device on the network with same IP address. To check the IP address of all devices connected to the network log into the smart modem (http://192.168.0.1) and got either Advanced > Devices or Advanced > Local Network > Devices. There is a list off all connected devices and there IP address. If there is another device with IP address 192.168.0.10 temporarily disconnect it and then log into luxul at http://192.168.0.10 and change its IP address 192.168.0.xx where xx is a number between 2 and 254 that is not used by any other device.

Level 21: Augmented

Hi - just a few clarifications - you indicated you could access the Luxul Access Point to change the SSID name and 'WPA' but after that you couldn't see the Luxul 'modem' setting, which I assume you mean its IP address 192.168.0.10, so you must have, at one stage, had no IP conflict. 

"I still can not see the Luxul modem setting after is set up the wireless setting. ie changing the SSID from the default Luxul to a private SSID with WPA security."

1. After you changed the SSIDs, did you power reset the Luxul AP to ensure the changes were saved in case that is required for that AP. Are both the Luxul 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz SSID names the same as the chosen Telstra SSID names. In default install, the Telstra modem shows one common name for both its 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz SSIDs, if you wish to have separate names, you need to Disable Band Steering on the 2.4Ghz screen and SAVE. 

2. Is the Luxul security setting on WPA2 rather than WPA?

One reason you might loose the WiFi signal from the Luxul is protected management frames. Suggest you log into Telstra modem  go to Advanced WiFi  scroll down and look for Protected Management Frames or WiFi-PMf  turn of or disable and save settings. Repeat for 5 GHz WiFi band.

Hi,

I’m not sure whether I need to do another thread.

I’ve managed to do the access my wireless access router and access the network.

However, I have another problem.

I feel that whenever I switch my mobile phone/ laptop on, it will take a while to connect into the internet. I often get kicked out from the internet. One way to get around it, I switched SSID or switch the modem on and off; or wait a little while and get reconnected again.

I am not sure whether I have to disable the wifi off the Smart Modem. I was thinking the wifi signals from the modem and wireless access point are competing with each other. I switched the wifi button off on the Smart Modem.

I was also thinking of switch the Smart Modem to a ? Bridge mode?.

Thank you again.

Hi - tell us bit more about your previous configuration, how it was set up successfully with the original front end modem and what was the model of your previous modem.

Your Luxul XAP1410 is a dedicated PoE Wi-Fi Access Point designed to be installed to a PoE Switch as part of a Multi Access Point network under the control of a dedicated Luxul Wireless Controller XWC-1000 which allows mobile users to freely roam in between up to 16 access points without drop out, using Open Security i.e none, as the Controller manages all the security and handover between access points. I don't think it has a router function in the access point mode - don't know - it is a client of the Telstra Modem's IP range. 

If you have Disabled Band Steering in the 2.4Ghz page of the Telstra modem and SAVED - can you forget the common combo Telstra 2.4Ghz +5Ghz SSID name in your devices and then do you see the separate Telstra SSID networks in your devices and can you link successfully to both of them? Have you made the Access Point SSIDs the same or different from the Telstra SSIDs in your configuration? 

Is there a WPA2 setting in the Access Point in the absence of the XWC-1000 Controller?

Hi,

I tried to get my previous configuration, however, the modem was thrown out when the technician installed the NBN modem. I also reset the Luxul unit- so I'm starting from scratch here.

I'm not sure what you mean by" Luxul Wireless Controller XWC-1000 " I don't think I have this setup.

I disabled the wifi in the Smart Gen modem. ie. no SSID is set up and I switched the wifi button off. Hence the bandsteering option is not ticked. All the wifi is connected to the Luxul unit.

Is there a setting I need to do either at Smart Modem or the Luxul wireless access point?

Hi I think my previous modem was a Gateway modem.

Hi - Can you confirm, is the Luxul A/P PoE adapter LAN port connected to a LAN port of the Telstra Modem with an extended CAT 5 network cable? Does your modem show a green LED on the front panel or is it Blue? If it is Blue, it is in 4G BackUp mode and may need to have both IPv4/IPV6 enabled to assist stability connection during back up period. You should not need to switch OFF the Telstra Wi-Fi function, it should be ON and suggest you Disable Band Steering so that your client devices can link to their respective bands.

The Luxul equipment is designed for business applications - apart from the one in the post above, I haven't been able to find any user manuals making me think significant programming is done in the Controller. Do you have any screenshots of configuration screens that you could post. 

The Luxul A/P PoE adapter LAN port is connected to a LAN port of the Smart Modem with an extended Cat 5 Network cable. The Cat5 cable goes from the Modem to down to the ground floor.

The modem panel screenshot is below:

I'm enabling wifi from the Telstra modem and switching band steering on to see whether there is any difference.

The wi - fi Pmf is off.

The Luxul A/P is DHCP enabled, and there is no other setting change besides the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSID and password.

I think I read somewhere that I can switch the Bridge mode on, but I'll lose the 4G backup.

Cheers

If you put the Telstra Modem into Bridge Mode, it passes all routing, DHCP Server, NAT , Firewall responsibilities over to a device that does not have those functions and you won't have any Internet service. The Luxul A/P is functioning as a Wireless Junction point for any devices around it and passing data up to the Telstra Modem for through connection to the Internet. The Luxul A/P is acting as a DHCP Client of the Telstra Modem sending any device around it to the Telstra modem for management.

Suggest you check the 2.4 Ghz Channel in use on the Telstra modem - if it is using Channel 6, and your neighbours are not using these alternative channels, can you set it to use Channel 1 or 11 instead and SAVE.  Also check the 5Ghz to see if it is also using Channel 40, if so can you select another channel. That is the only conflict that I can think of - if both units are causing interference with each other.

Also suggest you set the Telstra 5Ghz radio to 20/40 Mhz only from its Default Auto (20/40/80 Mhz) as the Luxul appears to be limited to 40 Mhz max. SAVE settings and for good luck power reset the Telstra modem to make sure new settings are set.

What other encryption types do you have in access point?

Hi - I have no encryption besides AES.

The Luxul A/P set up is quite basic. Just set up the SSID with a passphrase and that's it.

It has the latest firmware.

The Telstra Modem wifi signal is quite weak, and it is located in the attic, I can get a signal downstairs.

So altering the channel on 2.4GHz and the 5GHz radio does not make any difference.

I changed the channel on Luxul, and rebooted the modem. It improved it somewhat, but marginally. I still get the connection cut off intermittently.

My Luxul A/P's IP address is http://192.168.0.10/

Hi - some corrections to my previous statements. The Luxul XAP-1410 can be used as a Stand Alone Access Point and when used in a Multi Access Point Network with its Wireless Controller or Stand Alone has its own multi choice Security settings. It also supports the full 802.11 ac band bonding profiles 20/40/80 Mhz - I misread your screen photo showing 40.   

____________________________________________________________________________________

1. Early versions of the  Telstra Arcadyan LH:1000 Modem had Wi-Fi stability issues - what is the firmware version of your modem - mine is at 0.12.15r. Also is your Luxul firmware at the last firmware V. 6.3.0 dated 4/03/2019.

2. With the Ethernet data cable, we should be able to rule out any back-haul issues between the Luxul and the Arcadyan. Have you programmed a Static IP address 192.168.0.10 for the Luxul into the Arcadyan and SAVED, so that it is not being re-issued its IP Address lease daily. 

3. When drop outs occur, do they happen when the device is mobile moving in between networks or stationary at a desk. Which network is the device connected to when the drop outs occur - TelstraXXXXXX, TelstraXXXXXX-5G, Luxul_XAP1410 , Luxul_XAP1410_5G.

One advantage of Disabling Band Steering is that you can tell which network and band you are connected to for pin pointing a connection issue. Once your device is programmed for all four network SSID and passwords and set onto its preferred network, the device should stay connected to it when stationary , however when you move, it will auto connect you to the strongest signal at the new location which may see it connect to another SSID.   

4. If your devices are under five years old, they should connect to WPA2 and AES without issue. Sometimes other devices can cause interruption to the Wi-Fi network - can you turn OFF all Wi-Fi devices and then activate one only to test for stability and then introduce another to see if it causes a problem until you clear all devices as stable.

5. The Arcadyan is an 802.11ac Wave 2 modem which can use two special channels that are reserved for aircraft called DFS Channels but these are not selected as default. Your Arcadyan may show non DFS Channel 36 or 149 as the channel in use on its 5Ghz SSID. The Luxul was showing Channel 40 which is a non DFS channel , so it should be OK there.   

@noob3 wrote:

I feel that whenever I switch my mobile phone/ laptop on, it will take a while to connect into the internet. I often get kicked out from the internet. One way to get around it, I switched SSID or switch the modem on and off; or wait a little while and get reconnected again.

I am not sure whether I have to disable the wifi off the Smart Modem.

One thing to try is to disable the WiFi in the modem completely. To do this log into modem and go to WiFi > Wi-Fi Radio Tab remove tick next to  2.4 GHz radio enable and 5 GHz radio enable and save settings. This will shut off all WiFi from modem including the hidden control network, Telstra Air, Fon, and the modem's normal WiFi networks.

If you are still having problems when it next happens and you have no internet access open a command prompt and do the following tracerts.

One to 192.168.0.10

One to 192.168.0.1

One to 8.8.8.8.8

and the .last one to google.com

Post the results here. These could indicate what is causing the problem.

@Mkrtich wrote:

Hi - some corrections to my previous statements. The Luxul XAP-1410 can be used as a Stand Alone Access Point and when used in a Multi Access Point Network with its Wireless Controller or Stand Alone has its own multi choice Security settings. It also supports the full 802.11 ac band bonding profiles 20/40/80 Mhz - I misread your screen photo showing 40.   

____________________________________________________________________________________

1. Early versions of the  Telstra Arcadyan LH:1000 Modem had Wi-Fi stability issues - what is the firmware version of your modem - mine is at 0.12.15r. Also is your Luxul firmware at the last firmware V. 6.3.0 dated 4/03/2019.

My Telstra and Luxul have the latest firmware.

2. With the Ethernet data cable, we should be able to rule out any back-haul issues between the Luxul and the Arcadyan. Have you programmed a Static IP address 192.168.0.10 for the Luxul into the Arcadyan and SAVED, so that it is not being re-issued its IP Address lease daily. 

I went to Local Network. Under Static Leases, I added the Luxul A/P Mac address and the IP address as 192.168.0.10.

3. When drop outs occur, do they happen when the device is mobile moving in between networks or stationary at a desk. Which network is the device connected to when the drop outs occur - TelstraXXXXXX, TelstraXXXXXX-5G, Luxul_XAP1410 , Luxul_XAP1410_5G.

The dropouts occur with my stationary laptop and my mobile- more on the desktop. It occurs on the Luxul A/P both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz; as the Telstra xxxx's signals were never shows up on the available wifi.

One advantage of Disabling Band Steering is that you can tell which network and band you are connected to for pin pointing a connection issue. Once your device is programmed for all four network SSID and passwords and set onto its preferred network, the device should stay connected to it when stationary , however when you move, it will auto connect you to the strongest signal at the new location which may see it connect to another SSID.   

4. If your devices are under five years old, they should connect to WPA2 and AES without issue. Sometimes other devices can cause interruption to the Wi-Fi network - can you turn OFF all Wi-Fi devices and then activate one only to test for stability and then introduce another to see if it causes a problem until you clear all devices as stable.

All of our devices work with WPA2 and AES.

5. The Arcadyan is an 802.11ac Wave 2 modem which can use two special channels that are reserved for aircraft called DFS Channels but these are not selected as default. Your Arcadyan may show non DFS Channel 36 or 149 as the channel in use on its 5Ghz SSID. The Luxul was showing Channel 40 which is a non DFS channel , so it should be OK there.   

Ok.

@cf4 wrote:

@noob3 wrote:

I am not sure whether I have to disable the wifi off the Smart Modem.

One thing to try is to disable the WiFi in the modem completely. To do this log into modem and go to WiFi > Wi-Fi Radio Tab remove tick next to  2.4 GHz radio enable and 5 GHz radio enable and save settings. This will shut off all WiFi from modem including the hidden control network, Telstra Air, Fon, and the modem's normal WiFi networks.

If you are still having problems when it next happens and you have no internet access open a command prompt and do the following tracerts.

One to 192.168.0.10

One to 192.168.0.1

One to 8.8.8.8.8

and the .last one to google.com

Post the results here. These could indicate what is causing the problem.

Google:

Traceroute has started…

traceroute to google.com (172.217.25.174), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets
1 10.7.0.1 (10.7.0.1) 17.603 ms 30.069 ms 9.032 ms
2 103.212.224.193 (103.212.224.193) 9.408 ms 30.331 ms 15.312 ms
3 100.64.0.17 (100.64.0.17) 58.696 ms 33.905 ms 7.422 ms
4 sy5.dist.gslnetworks.com.au (103.137.13.224) 35.761 ms 8.115 ms 7.573 ms
5 sy5.gslnetworks.com.au (103.137.13.159) 30.593 ms 7.989 ms 7.426 ms
6 72.14.215.68 (72.14.215.68) 7.240 ms 36.783 ms 11.240 ms
7 108.170.247.65 (108.170.247.65) 33.074 ms 8.836 ms 31.816 ms
8 108.170.235.195 (108.170.235.195) 7.841 ms 33.464 ms 8.321 ms
9 sin01s16-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.25.174) 8.139 ms 30.757 ms 10.680 ms

To 8.8.8.8.8

Traceroute has started…

traceroute: unknown host 8.8.8.8.8

To: 192.168.0.1

Traceroute has started…

traceroute to 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets
1 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 2.854 ms 1.688 ms 1.689 ms

To192.168.0.10

Traceroute has started…

traceroute to 192.168.0.10 (192.168.0.10), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets
1 192.168.0.10 (192.168.0.10) 8.808 ms 1.265 ms 1.292 ms

I made a typo and typed 8.8.8.8.8 instead of 8.8.8.8

All the other results look normal except the traceroute to google come The second hope to 10.7.0.1.is out of place. The first hop should be to 192.168.0.1. Are you using a proxy server?

@cf4 wrote:

All the other results look normal except the traceroute to google come The second hope to 10.7.0.1.is out of place. The first hop should be to 192.168.0.1. Are you using a proxy server?

traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 10.7.0.1 (10.7.0.1) 13.276 ms 6.710 ms 8.220 ms
2 103.212.224.193 (103.212.224.193) 8.197 ms 8.307 ms 7.727 ms
3 100.64.0.17 (100.64.0.17) 10.357 ms 7.404 ms 8.244 ms
4 sy5.dist.gslnetworks.com.au (103.137.13.224) 8.050 ms 14.961 ms 60.476 ms
5 sy5.gslnetworks.com.au (103.137.13.159) 8.657 ms 8.370 ms 8.477 ms
6 72.14.215.68 (72.14.215.68) 9.353 ms 7.840 ms 8.275 ms
7 108.170.247.65 (108.170.247.65) 9.312 ms
108.170.247.81 (108.170.247.81) 8.584 ms
108.170.247.49 (108.170.247.49) 9.876 ms
8 209.85.250.139 (209.85.250.139) 8.382 ms
209.85.255.175 (209.85.255.175) 8.202 ms
142.250.224.185 (142.250.224.185) 9.698 ms
9 dns.google (8.8.8.8) 13.994 ms 7.923 ms 8.747 ms

I don't use a proxy server.

@cf4 wrote:

traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 10.7.0.1 (10.7.0.1) 13.276 ms 6.710 ms 8.220 ms
2 103.212.224.193 (103.212.224.193) 8.197 ms 8.307 ms 7.727 ms
3 100.64.0.17 (100.64.0.17) 10.357 ms 7.404 ms 8.244 ms
4 sy5.dist.gslnetworks.com.au (103.137.13.224) 8.050 ms 14.961 ms 60.476 ms
5 sy5.gslnetworks.com.au (103.137.13.159) 8.657 ms 8.370 ms 8.477 ms
6 72.14.215.68 (72.14.215.68) 9.353 ms 7.840 ms 8.275 ms
7 108.170.247.65 (108.170.247.65) 9.312 ms
108.170.247.81 (108.170.247.81) 8.584 ms
108.170.247.49 (108.170.247.49) 9.876 ms
8 209.85.250.139 (209.85.250.139) 8.382 ms
209.85.255.175 (209.85.255.175) 8.202 ms
142.250.224.185 (142.250.224.185) 9.698 ms
9 dns.google (8.8.8.8) 13.994 ms 7.923 ms 8.747 ms

I don't use a proxy server

Thank you for your help

Yes, are you using a Mac or a Linux PC? If Mac, when you open Network Settings/Wi-Fi - your Router's IP address should show 192.168.0.1 - is that the case. There may be a remnant setting in your Web Browser from your old Gateway in the Mac - in Safari suggest you Clear Data Cache and History. Do you also have any other Apple Wi-Fi enabled networks in devices like Apple Time Capsule or Apple Home Kit connected in home?

When you had Reset the Luxul with the button, did it Factory Reset to Default empty settings, meaning you would have had to program new Telstra modem settings back in to it or did it show your previous settings aligned with the old Telstra Gateway. 

This is a screen shot of the Luxul XAP-1510 which shows you IP addressing details of a Stand Alone Luxul (192.168.0.10) on Default - does your 1410 show an entry for the Router's IP address as 192.168.0.1 or somewhere else in another screen. The Administration menu allows you to reset the Luxul to Factory Default.

It is not clear to me what the 'DHCP Client' Enabled means - originally I took it to mean the Luxul was a DHCP Client of Telstra Modem and therefore had no DHCP function, but it may be to Enable the Luxul DHCP Server for any clients connected to it -  if so it should be Disabled and SAVE to allow the Telstra DHCP server to allocate IP addresses - not sure? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXMnzz89dDQ 

Hi I tried to reply earlier, but I think it was removed by admin??

Traceroute has started…

traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets
1 10.7.0.1 (10.7.0.1) 8.847 ms 10.452 ms 7.953 ms
2 103.212.224.193 (103.212.224.193) 10.292 ms 9.557 ms 7.485 ms
3 100.64.0.17 (100.64.0.17) 7.664 ms 6.807 ms 7.497 ms
4 sy5.dist.gslnetworks.com.au (103.137.13.224) 7.701 ms 9.680 ms 7.847 ms
5 sy5.gslnetworks.com.au (103.137.13.159) 7.195 ms 8.227 ms 7.847 ms
6 72.14.215.68 (72.14.215.68) 9.307 ms 12.462 ms 7.941 ms
7 108.170.247.33 (108.170.247.33) 11.432 ms 9.268 ms 9.850 ms
8 209.85.243.145 (209.85.243.145) 9.730 ms 7.001 ms 8.883 ms
9 dns.google (8.8.8.8) 9.171 ms 8.135 ms 8.639 ms

I don't use a proxy server.

@Mkrtich wrote:

Yes, are you using a Mac or a Linux PC? If Mac, when you open Network Settings/Wi-Fi - your Router's IP address should show 192.168.0.1 - is that the case. There may be a remnant setting in your Web Browser from your old Gateway in the Mac - in Safari suggest you Clear Data Cache and History. Do you also have any other Apple Wi-Fi enabled networks in devices like Apple Time Capsule or Apple Home Kit connected in home?

I have mainly Mac computers. I don't use any other network devices, just the Luxu A/P.

When you had Reset the Luxul with the button, did it Factory Reset to Default empty settings, meaning you would have had to program new Telstra modem settings back in to it or did it show your previous settings aligned with the old Telstra Gateway. 

I did full hard reset using.

This is a screen shot of the Luxul XAP-1510 which shows you IP addressing details of a Stand Alone Luxul (192.168.0.10) on Default - does your 1410 show an entry for the Router's IP address as 192.168.0.1 or somewhere else in another screen. The Administration menu allows you to reset the Luxul to Factory Default.

I did the reset using Admin menu as well as using the button on the device.

It is not clear to me what the 'DHCP Client' Enabled means - originally I took it to mean the Luxul was a DHCP Client of Telstra Modem and therefore had no DHCP function, but it may be to Enable the Luxul DHCP Server for any clients connected to it -  if so it should be Disabled and SAVE to allow the Telstra DHCP server to allocate IP addresses - not sure? 

I am not sure too.. I thought it allows Luxul to be used as a server for all the devices connecrted to it. The Luxul A/P then assign the IP address to the devices.

Thanks - can you Disable the DHCP Client and SAVE to see if that removes the address 10.7.0.1 when you do another traceroute test to 8.8.8.8 - that address doesn't belong to your current scheme or the old router which was 10.0.0.138 and for unexplained reasons your Mac is somehow connecting through it. 

On this clip the presenter shows how to set up a static IP address on your Mac when you initially program  the Luxul Wi-Fi credentials with a Mac connected to the PoE LAN port so that you can configure it for your network router. In the clip, the router uses 192.168.1.1 and the Luxul uses 192.168.0.10. After he cutomises the Luxul Wi-Fi settings, he then removes the static IP address and sets it back to Auto accept a DHCP address from the Router. You don't need to do that as the Luxul falls within the Telstra modems's IP range. Just referring you to the clip in case the DHCP function is not required. 

It looks to me that the Access Point Mode has no need for a DHCP Server function and maybe that is turned OFF with DHCP Client Disable.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXMnzz89dDQ 

PS: I don't know is there is a recent software restriction or peculiarity in the Arcadyan with Access Points. It appears the modem itself, since 0.11.11r can not be used as an Access Point per @cf4 's manual and I don't know if its firewall has been somehow impacted by the same restriction.

Do you have a VPN setup on the laptop?

The traceroute should not be going via 10.7.0.1. Your laptop has either been co figured to use a VPN or proxy server. To check if a VPN has been set Select the Start button, then select Settings > Network & Internet > VPN 

On a MAC can check if VPN has been setup by 

chooseing Apple menu > System Preferences, then clicking Network.

@Mkrtich 

The lux doesn't have a DHCP server. When set to DHCP the lux uses DHCP to get its IP address from the main router. The other setting allows the setting up of a static IP address on the LUX.

cf4 - yes, sort of with you. Do you mean that 'DHCP Client' Enabled setting acts as a Relay function passing through IP addresses from the Telstra DHCP Server to all wireless clients wishing to connect to the Luxul Access Point, rather than the Access point itself getting a variable IP address,  as I thought its IP address is fixed at 192.168.0.10.

I just assumed if the clients had 'Obtain IP Address Automatically' in their PC IPv4 settings, they would get it from the Telstra modem but perhaps the Luxul DHCP Client acts as a DHCP Client Gatekeeper when Enabled and when Disabled, clients use Static IP addresses that are reserved within the Telstra Modem.     

The Static IP address part of the clip was only referenced how to initially program the A/P and to indicate that there is no DHCP Server in the A/P.

Rather interesting puzzle - we had three posts this week with Access Point Issues with Telstra Gen2 modems replacing previous models. I think two of them were Arcadyan.  

No. By default the Luxul has DHCP disabled and its IP address set to 192.168.0.10. DHCP is disabled because  when setting up the device for first time with Luxul connected directly to PC there is no DHCP server to configure the Luxul's IP address. This allows the PC to access the Luxul GUI and set up the Luxul with a IP address within the address range of modem / router or to enable DHCP. Because the Luxul had an IP address of 192.168.0.10 when first connected to modem, modem will always assign Luxul with that address when DHCP is selected in Luxul. The only time IP address will change is if modem is factory reset.

The luxul doesn't have a DHCP so all devices connected to Luxul get there IP addresses assigned by modem even when DHCP is set to disabled.

Hi,

Ah yes, I have VPN set up.

Hi @Mkrtich and @cf4,

This afternoon, I reset the modem, Luxul A/P and followed the above instructions, then Click Save then restarted both devices.

I also reset the network settings on my phone and deleted all the wifi set up on my laptop. Reconnect it up again.  So far so good. Less lag and I have yet to be kicked out from the network. Will try for the next 24-48 hours and see how we go...

I was puzzled that the connection was fine the first week we switched over, but then it just gets worse and worse.

Thank you so much for all of your help, especially during this holiday season!!!

Thanks for your feedback and it has been an interesting learning exercise for me. Let us know how it goes.

One final question to remove any doubt, is the DHCP Client setting now Disabled in the Luxul and all working smoothly without VPN engaged or do you have VPN ON 24/7 for all your external connections.

VPN connections will generally be slower than direct Internet connections. The VPN function may also be using its own customised DNS Server entries rather than default Telstra DNS Servers in the Telstra modem, perhaps contributing to an unexpected delays. Cheers.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit